The Student Room Group

UKIP will cause more overpopulation in the longterm

The most ironic thing about UKIP is how they use growing overcrowding of the country as their reasoning behind their immigration policies despite the fact that their climate change stance and related policies will directly cause more overcrowding in the future.

Global temperatures rise, ice caps melt, sea levels rise, coastline disappears, people move further inland, the country becomes more crowded. There is nothing ambiguous about it, their climate change denying policies would lead to a more densely populated country in the future.

Some people feel that they deserve a better standard of life than people born in other countries. Fair enough, whilst I don't agree with it, I realise some people are going to have these views and nothing you can say will change it. What I find surprising is that these same people also value the standards of their own lives much higher than the lives of their children and grandchildren.

On a side note whilst I'm discussing UKIPs contradictory policies on overpopulation, lets talk about Scotland. Farage's innate hatred of the Scottish clearly shown by his comments about too much "money going over Hadrian's Wall" leads to him failing to realise one thing. In comparison to England, Scotland is very sparsely populated. In fact investing more money in Scotland would lead to a better quality of life north of the border and therefore more people in England considering it a more attractive place to live, which in turn would reduce population density in Farage's beloved England.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cBay

Global temperatures rise, ice caps melt, sea levels rise, coastline disappears, people move further inland, the country becomes more crowded. There is nothing ambiguous about it, their climate change denying policies would lead to a more densely populated country in the future.

Yes and all of this is going to be a direct result of the policies included in UKIP's manifesto. Your research methodology is clearly solid and well thought through. Well done.
Reply 2
Original post by Europhile
Yes and all of this is going to be a direct result of the policies included in UKIP's manifesto. Your research methodology is clearly solid and well thought through. Well done.

thank you :smile: any points you particularly liked or do you just wish to praise me without adding anything yourself?
Reply 3
I'm confused.... There was politics involved, yet you managed to talk sense..... That's rare

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm fine with a higher population for the UK. I get the sense that nobody has driven from London to Nottingham or Cardiff before when they suggest there's no space to build.
Uhh yeah that might work in the current government (if climate change works like you assume), but UKIP will put in border control to stop overcrowding
Wow, I didn't know that the UKIP manifesto was powerful enough to cause coastal erosion.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm fine with a higher population for the UK. I get the sense that nobody has driven from London to Nottingham or Cardiff before when they suggest there's no space to build.

This.
Reply 8
Typical naive young liberal thread...
Go and throw a brick through a UKIP office you lot usually engage in such activities most likely... or just dress up as communists and thugs.
Reply 9
climate change is exaggerated
Reply 10
Original post by sdotd
climate change is exaggerated

By about 100-500%:wink: But hey we have go to save the earth? right? RIGHT!?:colone:

And I would also like to ask the so called 'liberals' on this thread how do you plan to address overpopulation? Mass genocide or engineered disease? Eugenicists.
Original post by cBay
The most ironic thing about UKIP is how they use growing overcrowding of the country as their reasoning behind their immigration policies despite the fact that their climate change stance and related policies will directly cause more overcrowding in the future.

Okay, so you're saying that a net of 300,000 long-term migrants coming into this country per-year, isn't going to cause overpopulation. I don't understand your logic behind this, but let's move on.

Original post by cBay

I love how you're assuming that UKIP, let alone the UK, would be able to change this. The UK contributes about 1-3% of global emissions, so even if we stopped pouring money into the climate change research that we're currently doing (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to here, as nuclear power plants don't produce CO2), the difference would be negligible. Countries like India, China and the USA would carry on. Not to mention that you have no idea how long this would take to happen on a serious level, by which time tens of millions of more immigrants could be living here.

Original post by cBay
Some people feel that they deserve a better standard of life than people born in other countries. Fair enough, whilst I don't agree with it, I realise some people are going to have these views and nothing you can say will change it. What I find surprising is that these same people also value the standards of their own lives much higher than the lives of their children and grandchildren.

If by "feel that they deserve a better a better standard of life" you mean "think that their country should look after it's own people as a priority", then yes.

Original post by cBay
On a side note whilst I'm discussing UKIPs contradictory policies on overpopulation, lets talk about Scotland. Farage's innate hatred of the Scottish clearly shown by his comments about too much "money going over Hadrian's Wall" leads to him failing to realise one thing. In comparison to England, Scotland is very sparsely populated. In fact investing more money in Scotland would lead to a better quality of life north of the border and therefore more people in England considering it a more attractive place to live, which in turn would reduce population density in Farage's beloved England.

Too much money IS going over Hadrian's Wall (free tuition fees, prescriptions, etc). Bear in mind this is "per head", so I don't see how population density has absolutely anything to do with this:

Reply 12
Well I think I discovered the biggest polluter on the Earth... yes it has been going a long time and there must be a lot of money involved in this industry.

Can one you Kippers actually just define overpopulation to me?
Reply 14
Original post by Rakas21
Can one you Kippers actually just define overpopulation to me?

The demand for supplies out ways the supply.
Original post by SeaPony
The demand for supplies out ways the supply.

But food can be imported so long as we can afford it. Water, energy, housing and transport are only limited by the amount we are willing to spend to build the infrastructure.
Reply 16
I was talking more about housing, NHS, school places, transport...
Services are taking cuts to try and balance the books.
Original post by Rakas21
I get the sense that nobody has driven from London to Nottingham or Cardiff before when they suggest there's no space to build.

Well, these days of course a drive between London and Nottingham takes so long that you would have plenty of time and opportunity to assess the countryside. Housing isn't the only infrastructure problem caused by a population that grows too far and too fast.
Original post by SeaPony
I was talking more about housing, NHS, school places, transport...
Services are taking cuts to try and balance the books.

Only because we have fiscally incompetent governments who don't prepare for crises.

We can build more of them.
Original post by SeaPony

And I would also like to ask the so called 'liberals' on this thread how do you plan to address overpopulation?

We shall put lions into dog costumes and give every household a customary dog :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending