The Student Room Group

Complex Analysis - Poles/Residues

Hi I was wondering if someone would be able to explain something that was in one of my lectures today:

I have this definition:
f(z) has a pole of order N at Z0Z_0 if f(z)=n=Nan(zz0)n,aN0\displaystyle f(z)=\sum_{n=-N}^{\infty }a_n(z-z_0)^n,a_{-N}\neq 0.

The first example was finding the residues of f(z)=ezz(1+z2)\displaystyle f(z)=\frac{e^z}{z(1+z^2)}, and we used this other theorem we have about the residues of poles of order 1.

I don't understand how we know that f(z) has a pole of order 1. I understand that there are poles at z=0,i,-i. If someone could explain this I would be extremely grateful. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by rayquaza17
Hi I was wondering if someone would be able to explain something that was in one of my lectures today:

I have this definition:
f(z) has a pole of order N at Z0Z_0 if f(z)=n=Nan(zz0)n,aN0\displaystyle f(z)=\sum_{n=-N}^{\infty }a_n(z-z_0)^n,a_{-N}\neq 0.

The first example was finding the residues of f(z)=ezz(1+z2)\displaystyle f(z)=\frac{e^z}{z(1+z^2)}, and we used this other theorem we have about the residues of poles of order 1.

I don't understand how we know that f(z) has a pole of order 1. I understand that there are poles at z=0,i,-i. If someone could explain this I would be extremely grateful. :smile:

without being formal it is best to see by example

order of 1
in the denominator z, z-1, z+i

order of 2
in the denominator z2, (z-1)2,( z+i)2

order of 3
in the denominator z3, (z-1)3,( z+i)3

etc
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
without being formal it is best to see by example

order of 1
in the denominator z, z-1, z+i

order of 2
in the denominator z2, (z-1)2,( z+i)2

order of 3
in the denominator z3, (z-1)3,( z+i)3

etc

Ah so it's basically look at the powers.
Thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by rayquaza17
Ah so it's basically look at the powers.
Thanks. :biggrin:

in a nutshell yes

Quick Reply

Latest