The Student Room Group

OCR GCE Computer Science NEA Game (My advice, and tips)

Greetings, I am a current year 13 student who has completed their entire project within a week of spending 10-12 hours a day and on track for a A/B on the project. AMA.

As the title states I did my project on a game, more specifically a 2D platformer similar to games like Mario, and Mercenary Kings. I have also implemented databases and a website for more complex features. My biggest advice to any new CS student or someone putting off the work, "Just Do It." If you are however already in a similar position as I was in, do these simple things. If you only have 1 final product and did not do prototypes or kept track of your devlog then create tests which you can easily prove by breaking down your current solution and reverse engineering it a prototype. The main goal of the devlog is selling a story, pretend you are creating a hero's story where you overcame the challenges of xyz. Your problems do not even have to be real, you can make them up. The main point is to show that you tried your best, and you can write about how you would improve it in the evaluation. However if you do this approach for the development seciton you will not be able to get the highest mark band and be limited to 20/25 marks at most, but that is still high. However this will greatly reduce the amount of work needed and the few marks difference for the ungodly hours needed is not worth it. Testing for development should focus on key componenets and have some variety there is no "cheating" this section, it sucks. This section will be the longest and require lots of annotation expect to spend a couple of full day working on this. Make sure you have clearly commented and over comment your code with its purpose.
When you are working on your analysis and design I would say expect to write between 12-20k words depending on your wirting capability etc. So expect to spend 40 hours on this section if you already know what is already needed for your project. If you do not know what you are doing exactly and what is in your game etc, than take your estimation of how long it will take you and x4 it.
Finally I would reccomend writing to the mark scheme. Look at the highest bands and ensure that everything mentioned is inside of your project. If you need a better breakdown I would reccomend Craig and Dave's "Project Advice Computer Games" this will help you better structure your project and reach higher marks.
P.S. even if your project is as simple as a login system, a jumping block or animation tools the propper analysis, design, and evaluation can still get you high marks. Ensure you buff your design and analysis of what it is you want to add, and if you could only develop a fraction of what you wanted, as long as you evaluate and explain why you didnt finish it e.g. "It was to complex and there was not enough info online etc. etc." you can get high marks everywhere else besides the development.
(edited 2 years ago)
what grade did you end up taking

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending