The Student Room Group

Picking A-levels... Buisness studies students?

well.. I am actually picking bio,chemistry, maths and have no idea what to pick for the fourth A level.. I was considering pick buisness studies but.. I'm not sure? I haven't done it at gcse and it sounds like a lot of work on top of my main three subjects, so i was actually looking for a more interesting subject, any suggestions? and please do tell me about the a levels which you think are interesting and why they are! Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

If your sixth form/college offers Economics, I would recommend it rather than business studies. Private message me if you want to know more. :smile:

Currently doing: Maths, Economics, Physics and Geography.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nadeu01
well.. I am actually picking bio,chemistry, maths and have no idea what to pick for the fourth A level.. I was considering pick buisness studies but.. I'm not sure? I haven't done it at gcse and it sounds like a lot of work on top of my main three subjects, so i was actually looking for a more interesting subject, any suggestions? and please do tell me about the a levels which you think are interesting and why they are! Thank you :smile:
How about Psychology? this fits in well with Biology.
Reply 3
Original post by German123
How about Psychology? this fits in well with Biology.

Ive heard physcology is not a very highly recommended subject in uni...
Original post by nadeu01

Its not all about what you hear, you should do what you like and what suits you.
i did biology,chemistry,physics and business for my a levels. business was nice to do as having something different from the sciences
Original post by nadeu01

I'm doing Business studies, English literature, religious studies and geography and hoping to do business at uni:smile: for business the students normally pick subjects what I'm studying, including maths:smile: if you're defiantly interested in business take it! At Ucas open day, students who have taken business will have a better advantage!
I'm studying History, Politics and Business Studies and I have offers from 3 RG's including Durham- but it is true that it's generally less respected. It's also, in my opinion, awfully boring.
Reply 8
Original post by nadeu01

Psychology is more respected than Business
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
i did biology,chemistry,physics and business for my a levels. business was nice to do as having something different from the sciences

was it a lot of case studies to remember? :smile: thankyou for replying!!
Reply 10
Original post by yt7777
Psychology is more respected than Business

physchology is a science aswell.. since as im doing two sciences already i just thought maybe too much would not give as much variety.. :smile: thankyou for replying!!
Original post by nadeu01

Business studies is a very good subject to choose if you're looking for top grades. Not extremely difficult to hit high marks.
Original post by nadeu01
was it a lot of case studies to remember? :smile: thankyou for replying!!

no case studies at all, got given one in one the exams to answer questions on but thats it. business is mostly remembering things and a couple of extended questions and a tiny amount of calcuations. unless they ve changed it since 2013:P

i appericiate it wasnt the most prestigious as to choose, i wanted one i would enjoy for me and my 4th as didnt matter for my uni course choice:smile:
Well I do Psychology (its amazing but a lot of work) sociology, English Lit/Lang and Business. I would say its easier to do business after doing it at GCSE, but Im currently on D/E and my friend who didnt take it is on B/C. Just put the work in and youll be okay.
But as another poster said, economics is meant to be good, and Psychology is amazing. I wouldnt take English personally, its a lot different than I thought it would be but I wouldnt say its horrible. Rest of your subjects are quite full on, my Biology friend seems to be always doing ISAs but she loves it. Its all up to you what you want to take but I wouldnt take on another heavy/confusing subject as you'll be stressed out.
Reply 14
Original post by Student1997NG
I'm doing Business studies, English literature, religious studies and geography and hoping to do business at uni:smile: for business the students normally pick subjects what I'm studying, including maths:smile: if you're defiantly interested in business take it! At Ucas open day, students who have taken business will have a better advantage!

for the year that i am in, they say buisness will not be an option to drop it at the end of the first year.. it will officially become a 2 year course.. if you dont mind me asking, what grades do you think you will get or have got for business? did you used to do it for gcse or not? I heard people who dont do it at gcse (me) do it better (have no idea if i will lol) I went to the buisness teacher and she said it was a lot of case studies, you have to do a lot of writing and its not easy at all.. so any other info on what the course basically entitles? Thankyou for replying! very helpful :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by KylieemilyJ
Well I do Psychology (its amazing but a lot of work) sociology, English Lit/Lang and Business. I would say its easier to do business after doing it at GCSE, but Im currently on D/E and my friend who didnt take it is on B/C. Just put the work in and youll be okay.
But as another poster said, economics is meant to be good, and Psychology is amazing. I wouldnt take English personally, its a lot different than I thought it would be but I wouldnt say its horrible. Rest of your subjects are quite full on, my Biology friend seems to be always doing ISAs but she loves it. Its all up to you what you want to take but I wouldnt take on another heavy/confusing subject as you'll be stressed out.

Thankyou for replying, a lot of help! :smile: physcology was a consideration, but after picking 3 heavy A levels i would not think its good to pick it, so would you say buisness is a heavy subject? TY:biggrin:
Original post by nadeu01
Thankyou for replying, a lot of help! :smile: physcology was a consideration, but after picking 3 heavy A levels i would not think its good to pick it, so would you say buisness is a heavy subject? TY:biggrin:

It depends on the exam board, I dont think its too bad work wise, but it is two exams, the second one is mainly essays which isnt fun:frown:

you can always speak to your new tutor about trialling a couple subjects, or you can always drop, instead of thinking what if? all the time, if you try say economics and its so confusing or boring, you can always pick up a different subject as long as its not too far into the course and your willing to catch up.
Reply 17
Original post by claireestelle
no case studies at all, got given one in one the exams to answer questions on but thats it. business is mostly remembering things and a couple of extended questions and a tiny amount of calcuations. unless they ve changed it since 2013:P

i appericiate it wasnt the most prestigious as to choose, i wanted one i would enjoy for me and my 4th as didnt matter for my uni course choice:smile:

Hope you dont mind me asking specifically :colondollar: just wanna know what exactly do you have to remember? i have heard that you do finance calcs and the buisness teacher said to me about going over lots of case studies.. was that boring for you? TY:biggrin:
Reply 18
Original post by KylieemilyJ
It depends on the exam board, I dont think its too bad work wise, but it is two exams, the second one is mainly essays which isnt fun:frown:

you can always speak to your new tutor about trialling a couple subjects, or you can always drop, instead of thinking what if? all the time, if you try say economics and its so confusing or boring, you can always pick up a different subject as long as its not too far into the course and your willing to catch up.

Thankyouuuu I will defo take this into consideration! i will check out trials and thankyou for replying! lots of help x :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 19
I do chem physics econ business. I find econ and business easy because they make sense to me. I also find chem easy because i'm interested in it, and physics tough but interesting. I'd suggest econ or business for your last choice.

Quick Reply

Latest