The Student Room Group

Question

I want to study Law with Business at Uni but was wondering if the math would be a lot more or very little cause,Im not the best at maths but would love to do something with business and mixing Law with Business would also help me have better career opportunities.So would math really be a major theme/area in Law with buisness.
Original post by jojosbizzrd
I want to study Law with Business at Uni but was wondering if the math would be a lot more or very little cause,Im not the best at maths but would love to do something with business and mixing Law with Business would also help me have better career opportunities.So would math really be a major theme/area in Law with buisness.

I would always be surprised by how many people think having a degree in business would open more career opportunities.

The maths in the business degree (not sure about the law component, but from what I have heard it's GCSE level maths) is usually very low e.g. GCSE.
The most mathematical modules in a standard business degree are in:

Accounting

Business finance

Business economics

The above should involve maths that's more akin to GCSE level. Management accounting can use indices which can make some people uncomfortable.
Business statistics/quanttiative methods is most likely the most mathematical module that you can find, which inevtiably involve AS level statistics and posibly AS level discrete maths.
Unless you want to go out of your way to pick the most mathematical modules you can find in the business modules, you aren't going to find anything challenging or anything you can't do. Most of business is more about writing essays and remembering frameworks, and less so to do with maths (for people who like maths, business is generally a snooze-fest).

If your joint law degree is to be useful in legal careers, it should be an LLB as opposed to a BA. That way, you can apply to become a barrister without needing further qualifications such as the PGDL after your bachelor's. Solicitor roles are a bit debatable because some law firms favour PGDL or LLBs, but the SQE only require a NQF level 6 qualification (be it CILEx, BA, LLB, BSc, etc.).
A business degree is not a required qualification unless you intend to go into business research/PhD. It's useful to help you set up your own business, but you could easily get similar business knowledge elsewhere e.g. Business Studies A Level, CIMA's BA certificate, various business courses at college and online.
Business related roles don't really require you to have any specific qualifications, but having A Levels in any subjects would help with a number of professional qualifications. Should you really want, you can go into a number of business related roles with no qualifications or with a degree in any subject, including law.
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000

I would always be surprised by how many people think having a degree in business would open more career opportunities.

The maths in the business degree (not sure about the law component, but from what I have heard it's GCSE level maths) is usually very low e.g. GCSE.
The most mathematical modules in a standard business degree are in:

Accounting

Business finance

Business economics

The above should involve maths that's more akin to GCSE level. Management accounting can use indices which can make some people uncomfortable.
Business statistics/quanttiative methods is most likely the most mathematical module that you can find, which inevtiably involve AS level statistics and posibly AS level discrete maths.
Unless you want to go out of your way to pick the most mathematical modules you can find in the business modules, you aren't going to find anything challenging or anything you can't do. Most of business is more about writing essays and remembering frameworks, and less so to do with maths (for people who like maths, business is generally a snooze-fest).

If your joint law degree is to be useful in legal careers, it should be an LLB as opposed to a BA. That way, you can apply to become a barrister without needing further qualifications such as the PGDL after your bachelor's. Solicitor roles are a bit debatable because some law firms favour PGDL or LLBs, but the SQE only require a NQF level 6 qualification (be it CILEx, BA, LLB, BSc, etc.).
A business degree is not a required qualification unless you intend to go into business research/PhD. It's useful to help you set up your own business, but you could easily get similar business knowledge elsewhere e.g. Business Studies A Level, CIMA's BA certificate, various business courses at college and online.
Business related roles don't really require you to have any specific qualifications, but having A Levels in any subjects would help with a number of professional qualifications. Should you really want, you can go into a number of business related roles with no qualifications or with a degree in any subject, including law.

Thank you so much.So the whole doing two courses together to open more opportunities is false 😃.This helped alot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending