The Student Room Group

A2 Ivestigation Help...

Hey, I just have been given the title of my investigation which is to investigate reactions between acid + magnesium.

I have decided to go for:

"How does the order of the reaction change as the concentration of the acid is varied"

I have decided to use two acids - (Hydrochloric Acid - Strong) and (Ethanoic Acid - Weak)

I'm sort of unsure as to how to go about this. I currently have good sets of data for Hydrochloric Acid at various concentrations reacting with my 2cm strip of Mg, and also for Ethanoic reacting with it also. For all of them I have recorded the time taken for them to dissolve...

I am now stuck and don't know what to do, I have to do at least two variables and need something else I could easily manipulate and relate to what I have done so far, Im just soo stuck and want this out the way as soon as possible so any help from people who have done this or are would be4 appreciated...

:smile:
You could look into how temperature affects the reaction, or a catalyst.
Reply 2
I was thinking about how stirring could have an effect, or maybe temperature too, how would I conduct this as a method, would I have to measure gas released ??? I don't know lol
You would measure the rate of reaction in the same way ie time it takes to dissolve or whatever way you've chosen to do it.

Investigating 'stirring' as a variable would be hard i think

Latest