The Student Room Group

12 exams in the summer?

I was just thinking about this. Is this possible for an A2 student. Do people take this many exams and do well? What is the average amount for an A2 student?
Reply 1
Original post by Cherry82
I was just thinking about this. Is this possible for an A2 student. Do people take this many exams and do well? What is the average amount for an A2 student?

It seems to vary dramatically. I know my friends have 12 for 3 subjects at A2. I personally do 4 subjects and have 7, which many people are surprised by.

It's hard to pin down an average :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did 14 last year, which I imagine is way more than average, seeing as I was doing A2 Maths/Physics/Chemistry and AS/A2 Further Maths that year. It was kind of managable but one or two of my module results suffered because I felt a bit stressed in the exam. I was also lucky that 10 of those exams were Maths exams. Doing 14 essay-based exams and remembering all of the stuff would have been more difficult.

I think for a student taking 3 A2's 6 is a nice number (2 per subject, if that).
I could have only had 5 but I ended up doing 15 because I had a lot of resits. Still finished before most people in my year but we didn't get study leave until the exams had already started, so I did poorly in the first exams I had.
Reply 4
Original post by CD223
It seems to vary dramatically. I know my friends have 12 for 3 subjects at A2. I personally do 4 subjects and have 7, which many people are surprised by.

It's hard to pin down an average :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, wait so some people are doing 12 exams at the moment in A2?
Im doing 10 exams this summer

got AAAB at AS, but pushing for them higher/full UMS, to take stress off A2
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
I did 14 last year, which I imagine is way more than average, seeing as I was doing A2 Maths/Physics/Chemistry and AS/A2 Further Maths that year. It was kind of managable but one or two of my module results suffered because I felt a bit stressed in the exam. I was also lucky that 10 of those exams were Maths exams. Doing 14 essay-based exams and remembering all of the stuff would have been more difficult.

I think for a student taking 3 A2's 6 is a nice number (2 per subject, if that).

Wow, what were your grades in the end?
Reply 7
Wow, wait so some people are doing 12 exams at the moment in A2?

Yep, I know one guy (he does 5 subjects though, and has a few resits) with 15.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I am only doing 4 exams this year, but I had 12 exams for AS and A2 Maths and FM last year and came out with AA. Granted, it was the most stressful experience of my life so far and it took me about a month to recover from it and feel normal again, but it is definitely possible if you want it, and you are prepared to make sacrifices for it.
Reply 9
Original post by CD223
Yep, I know one guy (he does 5 subjects though, and has a few resits) with 15.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow, maybe I should just stop complaining then. I tried calculating possible exams I may resit next year. Lol I know I haven't taken the exam yet but I was just thinking and it total it's 12 well technically 11 exams (including maybe some resits), 2 practicals and 1 coursework= English lit.

I've got 12 A-level exams in May/June, along with 6 other, harder exams. It is possible to have that many.
I currently do 4A2s. One exam is a retake and two are extra further maths modules.
It depends on the subject. Some subjects only have one or two exams per year. It also depends on how many you take. It also depends on how many retakes you have from AS.
Reply 12
Original post by morgan8002
I've got 12 A-level exams in May/June, along with 6 other, harder exams. It is possible to have that many.
I currently do 4A2s. One exam is a retake and two are extra further maths modules.
It depends on the subject. Some subjects only have one or two exams per year. It also depends on how many you take. It also depends on how many retakes you have from AS.

My goodness, how do you coupe and manage your time efficiently? You guys are amazing seriously. I don't know If I could do it.
Reply 13
wow, maybe I should just stop complaining then. I tried calculating possible exams I may resit next year. Lol I know I haven't taken the exam yet but I was just thinking and it total it's 12 well technically 11 exams (including maybe some resits), 2 practicals and 1 coursework= English lit.

Well just make sure to get the balance between working hard and having fun.

It's easy on this website to get carried away with people being successful as they are.

Last year I managed to maintain a decent social life, a part time job and managed to get AAAA. This year I've carried on with everything and hopefully I can achieve AAA or higher in the summer - the key is not to stress!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow, what were your grades in the end?

A*AAB, with the A* in Maths and the B in Chemistry.
Reply 15
Original post by CD223
Well just make sure to get the balance between working hard and having fun.

It's easy on this website to get carried away with people being successful as they are.

Last year I managed to maintain a decent social life, a part time job and managed to get AAAA. This year I've carried on with everything and hopefully I can achieve AAA or higher in the summer - the key is not to stress!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, sigh. You all are phenomenal. Sorry if I sound like I'm butt kissing people or something but really I couldn't actually see myself doing that. I find it fascinating to how hard people work. I'm a bit frustrated now because I feel like I've wasted a whole year of my life to be honest. I'm now learning from my mistakes. It seems a bit late but there is a saying stating better now than never. After my AS exams, I'm going to be proactive and not just state things but really do them. I'm going to get my stuff together, study and work hard. I have so much things I would like t do but time for me has also been an issue. It's so easy to waste precious time and sadly it can not be re-gained. This has humbled me so much...
thanks guys, even if you feel like you didn't do anything to help me lol you did!
Reply 16
Ah, sigh. You all are phenomenal. Sorry if I sound like I'm butt kissing people or something but really I couldn't actually see myself doing that. I find it fascinating to how hard people work. I'm a bit frustrated now because I feel like I've wasted a whole year of my life to be honest. I'm now learning from my mistakes. It seems a bit late but there is a saying stating better now than never. After my AS exams, I'm going to be proactive and not just state things but really do them. I'm going to get my stuff together, study and work hard. I have so much things I would like t do but time for me has also been an issue. It's so easy to waste precious time and sadly it can not be re-gained. This has humbled me so much...
thanks guys, even if you feel like you didn't do anything to help me lol you did!

I really didn't mean it to come across as a brag - I'm trying to show you it's achievable and motivate you, haha! Good luck, and don't burn out working!
Reply 17
Original post by CD223
I really didn't mean it to come across as a brag - I'm trying to show you it's achievable and motivate you, haha! Good luck, and don't burn out working!

Lol, nah you're not coming across that way. Thank you!
Reply 18
Lol, nah you're not coming across that way. Thank you!

No worries! Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest