The Student Room Group

Summer UCAT and AS Revision

Is it possible to prepare for both UCAT and resits in two of my a levels as I bombed my summer exams. My teachers are saying it isn’t but I need to jump 5 grades…and prepare for UCAT. Any advice
Original post by Tatimah12
Is it possible to prepare for both UCAT and resits in two of my a levels as I bombed my summer exams. My teachers are saying it isn’t but I need to jump 5 grades…and prepare for UCAT. Any advice

heyy are you in year 12 or 13 right now?
Reply 2
Original post by alevelslander
heyy are you in year 12 or 13 right now?[/QUOT

Year 12
Original post by alevelslander
heyy are you in year 12 or 13 right now?[/QUOT

Year 12

i'm currently doing my a levels (Y13) and I applied for biomed but now I wanna do medicine so after my exams i'm gonna have to write a PS as well as revise for ucat and bmat and get work experience and extracurricular etc etc so i know your probably feeling overwhelmed right now but its totally possible! are you resitting a levels that you've already done or for your summer mocks if you don't mind me asking? you'll have to work loadsss over the summer but its totally possible! what subjects do you take and which ones are you finding difficult?
Reply 4
I’m resitting my year 12 summer mocks. I did badly in Chem and Bio (E) but well on Msths (A). I’m not sure if it’s my revision technique and I’m not good at the applied stuff. Thank you for saying it’s possible cos my teacher said I should just concentrate on one and not both. She thinks I can’t do it. But I need to go through A1 content for Bio and Chem ready for Sept so I can get the best predicted grades. How much should I be working on the UCAT every day? I’ve allocated 3 hours just in that.
I’m resitting my year 12 summer mocks. I did badly in Chem and Bio (E) but well on Msths (A). I’m not sure if it’s my revision technique and I’m not good at the applied stuff. Thank you for saying it’s possible cos my teacher said I should just concentrate on one and not both. She thinks I can’t do it. But I need to go through A1 content for Bio and Chem ready for Sept so I can get the best predicted grades. How much should I be working on the UCAT every day? I’ve allocated 3 hours just in that.

You most certainly can. I got an A in chem and A* in bio for my january mock and I have loads of flashcards and mark scheme specific notes so I would be more than happy to help you. We can talk on instagram if you want and I haven't started ucat revision yet since i'm not finished exams so we could revise for it together if thats something you'd like :smile:
Reply 6

VERY POSSIBLE. My end of year 12 grades were A in maths D in bio E in Chemistry. The MOST important thing is to be unfazed, dont panic and back urself. Wallah I wasnt that bothered because I knew i could fix up. Here are the steps I took.
1. Literally make a timetable, my aim was to do 1 bio topic a day. If you do AQA bio for instance in the cgp book the topics divided like 1A 1B 2A 2B 2C. It went upto 4 so roughly 9/10 topics which meant I could revise all of AS bio in 10 days. I did the same for chem. And I didnt study timewise I just set out a goal if today I was meant to do all of a bio topic I will do it regardless of it being 30 minutes or 3 hours. I took breaks but the work was always completed. The way I completed a topic was read the revision guide then do topic papers w the mark scheme. Answer the q in my head and the answers I didnt know I would memorise the mark scheme. I never really made notes just not my thing. And yeh within 10-14 days you should have completed all of AS Chem and Bio and just repeat the process it gets quicker because eventually you don't need to learn the content you just jump straight to questions, or you run out of questions (in this case do similar questions from other exam boards) or the topic is genuinely easy now for instance topic 1 in bio.
2. For ucat genuinely once you start revision you'll see putting more hours into ucat doesnt equal a better score. You kind of peak after a bit. i Would say set aside 4-5 weeks for the ucat and roughly 2-3 maybe 4 hours a day. The first week or so you want to learn tips and tricks, watch videos read ucat guides, learn keyboard shortcuts and also do the questions. After that you should be kitted up and the next 3/4 weeks should be questions AND mocks. Aim for a a high score of 3000+ And also everyone has a weak section. Your goal should be to find 2 sections that you can do amazing in, 1 in which you can do good and the other okay/average.
idk y ur teachers said that they're pessimistic people you got this, anything is possible and I don't say that lightly. If you do need any help you can pm or reply here.
Reply 7
What are some ways you've revised for the UCAT and do you have any advice?
Reply 8
Use the website medify or medentry. If you want to ease urself into ucat practise watch the videos on medify, theyve got good advice and strategies and theyll walk u thru some examples. i did 1 week on untimed practice before i started timed practice and that really helped my confidence. The time pressure is the hardest part about the ucat so make sure u get lots of timed practice and have a good idea on how long to spend on each question. Good luck!
Original post by lilyc06
What are some ways you've revised for the UCAT and do you have any advice?
Reply 9
thank you so much! I've been watching some videos on Medify and its helpful so far. I'm just nervous about the timing, as you said and I've heard that its really difficult. Good luck to you to!
Original post by atomic_sam
Use the website medify or medentry. If you want to ease urself into ucat practise watch the videos on medify, theyve got good advice and strategies and theyll walk u thru some examples. i did 1 week on untimed practice before i started timed practice and that really helped my confidence. The time pressure is the hardest part about the ucat so make sure u get lots of timed practice and have a good idea on how long to spend on each question. Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by lilyc06
thank you so much! I've been watching some videos on Medify and its helpful so far. I'm just nervous about the timing, as you said and I've heard that its really difficult. Good luck to you to!

I did my ucat last year and the timing is difficult in the beginning but once u get some practice youll be alright. Once you feel more comfortable with each section try doing some of the mocks on medify. I did one a day for 2 weeks. Theyre 2 hours long so they are a bit tiring tho.
Reply 11
Original post by atomic_sam
I did my ucat last year and the timing is difficult in the beginning but once u get some practice youll be alright. Once you feel more comfortable with each section try doing some of the mocks on medify. I did one a day for 2 weeks. Theyre 2 hours long so they are a bit tiring tho.

What was ur avg score per section before u started mocks?

Quick Reply

Latest