The Student Room Group

Man cooked alive with 12,000 pounds of tuna

'The Independent'
Bumble Bee Foods and two employees were charged with violating safety regulations on Monday, following the death of a California worker who suffered the unimaginably brutal death of being cooked in an industrial oven with several tons of tuna.

According to AP, the company, its plant operations director and its former safety manager were each charged with three counts of violating Occupational Safety & Health Administration rules causing death.

Prosecutors said that Jose Melena was cleaning a 35-foot-long oven at the company's plant in Santa Fe in 2012, when oblivious co-workers loaded it with 12,000 pounds of tuna and turned it on.

During the two hour cooking time, temperatures in the oven reach 270 degrees.

The state's occupational safety agency previously cited the San Diego-based company with violations for failing to properly assess the danger to employees working in large ovens.

Hard to believe this actually happened. What a way to go...

Scroll to see replies

That is crazy. What a horrible way to go. All my prayers are with him and his family.
Is this a legitimate story? There's something fishy about it.....

(too soon?)
Original post by Quantex

(too soon?)

Definitely too soon.
Original post by Quantex

(too soon?)

Idk it said 2012... Is 3 years too soon?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does this even happen?! Surely there should be an emergency stop or an escape hatch inside the oven??

This is straight out of Elysium.
Again?!

This has happened at least twice in the UK. Most recently: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/411390/Man-cooked-alive-in-industrial-oven
Oh god what a horrible way to go :s-smilie:

It does remind me of Dr Manhattan's origin though
That's horrible. :frown:
Bloody hope his nasty body hasn't contaminated my tuna :angry:
Original post by Quantex

(too soon?)

FFS you beat me to it. I guess you could say I missed my... oppor-tuna-ty :cool:
Reply 11
This man's death was terrible. You really can't imagine many worse ways to go than that... But the literal industrial scale of killing of tuna is still worse in my opinion, and is on-going.
Original post by miser
This man's death was terrible. You really can't imagine many worse ways to go than that... But the literal industrial scale of killing of tuna is still worse in my opinion, and is on-going.

I agree with you, It is just a shame Greens support over-population and therefore force the need to resort to industrial agriculture and fishing.
Reply 13
Original post by The two eds
I agree with you, It is just a shame Greens support over-population and therefore force the need to resort to industrial agriculture and fishing.

There is no need to resort to overfishing, no matter what the population size. People shouldn't kill animals for their personal enjoyment, end of story in my opinion.
Original post by miser
There is no need to resort to overfishing, no matter what the population size. People shouldn't kill animals for their personal enjoyment, end of story in my opinion.

I completely agree but a common symptom of mass population growth is the fact you need to feed more people, a hard fact to understand I know. You can not support large populations by mere sustainable means. Sadly the greens want uncontrolled mass immigration in the millions, so they are only increasing the need for intensive agriculture.
Reply 15
I completely agree but a common symptom of mass population growth is the fact you need to feed more people, a hard fact to understand I know. You can not support large populations by mere sustainable means. Sadly the greens want uncontrolled mass immigration in the millions, so they are only increasing the need for intensive agriculture.

I don't think that you do agree. I am saying that we shouldn't fish at all. If more and more tuna are being fished, that is not a fault of overpopulation, but a fault this people's unacceptable approach to animal rights.
Original post by miser
I don't think that you do agree. I am saying that we shouldn't fish at all. If more and more tuna are being fished, that is not a fault of overpopulation, but a fault this people's unacceptable approach to animal rights.

I only have and will buy free range and sustainably sourced. I do actually care. If the viewpoint of the greens is to not fish at all then 1 it shows how out of touch with reality your party is and another reason only a small portion of society will vote for you and 2 are you not just going to increase dependency on meat harvested on land and therefore greater industrial means of agriculture and intensive farming methods?

Surely being a green supporter you will pull out a number saying we can support mass immigration of millions per year and mass population growth as well as less dependency on fishing and agricultural means. The numbers really add up. Already over 75% of land in the UK is for agricultural means so no it is not as simple as increasing the amount of land for agriculture.
Original post by yo radical one
Bloody hope his nasty body hasn't contaminated my tuna :angry:

I feel really bad for laughing at this.

Sounds like one of the most horrific ways to die :frown: There really should have been an emergency button inside that could've been pressed or something.
Reply 18
I only have and will buy free range and sustainably sourced. I do actually care. If the viewpoint of the greens is to not fish at all then 1 it shows how out of touch with reality your party is and another reason only a small portion of society will vote for you and 2 are you not just going to increase dependency on meat harvested on land and therefore greater industrial means of agriculture and intensive farming methods?

Surely being a green supporter you will pull out a number saying we can support mass immigration of millions per year and mass population growth as well as less dependency on fishing and agricultural means. The numbers really add up. Already over 75% of land in the UK is for agricultural means so no it is not as simple as increasing the amount of land for agriculture.

I'm not a representative of The Green Party, I'm just some guy, telling you my personal beliefs. If you want the views of the Green Party on their plans to reduce overfishing and improve sustainability, the answers are on their website here: http://policy.greenparty.org.uk/ar.html
RIP in peace

Latest

Trending

Trending