The Student Room Group

My little sister

So basically, I have a problem with my little sister. My parents have pampered her and basically done anything to make sure that she doesn't cry. If she cries then my parents usually give her whatever she wants. She's nearly 7 years old and she's still a spoiled brat. She has a diva complex and she thinks she should get whatever she wants. She steals, she lies and she actually hits my 16 year old sister because she knows that she's not going to do anything. I'm particularly annoyed because she bullies my youngest sister who is very well behaved and is very kind. I feel like I'm more like an authority figure to her than a brother. Most of the time I interact with her is when she bullies my youngest sister or when my other sister has trouble with her. Nobody else really does anything at times so I have to do something. My mother shouts at me because I make my sister cry, she just ends up enabling her behaviour.

I barely make an effort with her anymore, I just can't stand her. Even when she's nice to me it's irritating and a lot of the time she just sucks up to me. I don't like her in general although I care for her. I sometimes try and spend time with her but it's not much, it ends in her crying a lot of the time too. I just feel like an enforcer, I'm there when there's trouble but when there isn't I just don't want much to do with her. I also feel bad knowing that I love my littlest sister way more than my 6 year old sister. I don't even try to hide it either, pretty much everyone knows that I like my youngest sister more by miles. I fear for what she might turn out like, it is partly my fault though. For the past few years I've been neglectful, not just of her but my sisters and family in general. If I was there more I could have helped her grow up better.

Any advice?
(edited 8 years ago)
tell your parents?
Reply 2
Speak to your parents. If it's so much of a problem, report your parents.
did you say she was 6?
i m sorry but at that age kids aren't great at being self aware or thinking of other people,child development wise some of them would just be mentally getting an understanding of how rules and boundaries work. sure that certainly isnt the best behaviour but you cant say its too late for her to change or you could have helped her grow up better, shes not had the time to grow up much yet:P
( I have an almost 6 year old sister)
Original post by Protégé
So basically, I have a problem with my little sister. My parents have pampered her and basically done anything to make sure that she doesn't cry. If she cries then my parents usually give her whatever she wants. She's nearly 7 years old and she's still a spoiled brat. She has a diva complex and she thinks she should get whatever she wants. She steals, she lies and she actually hits my 16 year old sister because she knows that she's not going to do anything. I'm particularly annoyed because she bullies my youngest sister who is very well behaved and is very kind. I feel like I'm more like an authority figure to her than a brother. Most of the time I interact with her is when she bullies my youngest sister or when my other sister has trouble with her. Nobody else really does anything at times so I have to do something. My mother shouts at me because I make my sister cry, she just ends up enabling her behaviour.

I barely make an effort with her anymore, I just can't stand her. Even when she's nice to me it's irritating and a lot of the time she just sucks up to me. I don't like her in general although I care for her. I sometimes try and spend time with her but it's not much, it ends in her crying a lot of the time too. I just feel like an enforcer, I'm there when there's trouble but when there isn't I just don't want much to do with her. I also feel bad knowing that I love my littlest sister way more than my 6 year old sister. I don't even try to hide it either, pretty much everyone knows that I like my youngest sister more by miles. I fear for what she might turn out like, it is partly my fault though. For the past few years I've been neglectful, not just of her but my sisters and family in general. If I was there more I could have helped her grow up better.

Any advice?

Your sister is still so young and chances are she'll grow out of it. I think it's more worrying the way you hold a 6 year olds behaviour against them so much to the point where you care for your sister less. Is there a reason why your parents are more lenient with her?
All you can really do is just in a friendly manner tell her when she's doing something wrong, don't shout at her more a conversational tone. She's your little sister just be there for her so what even if she grows up a little spoiled it's not the end of the world.
Smack her ass :reddy:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Protégé

Any advice?

Tell your parents about it and tell them to sort it out.

If they don't - crap parents

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by ChickenMadness
tell your parents?

Original post by Async
Speak to your parents. If it's so much of a problem, report your parents.

Original post by paul514
Tell your parents about it and tell them to sort it out.

If they don't - crap parents

Posted from TSR Mobile

They just have that 'kids will be kids' attitude.

Original post by claireestelle
did you say she was 6?
i m sorry but at that age kids aren't great at being self aware or thinking of other people,child development wise some of them would just be mentally getting an understanding of how rules and boundaries work. sure that certainly isnt the best behaviour but you cant say its too late for her to change or you could have helped her grow up better, shes not had the time to grow up much yet:P
( I have an almost 6 year old sister)

Original post by Anonymous
Your sister is still so young and chances are she'll grow out of it. I think it's more worrying the way you hold a 6 year olds behaviour against them so much to the point where you care for your sister less. Is there a reason why your parents are more lenient with her?
All you can really do is just in a friendly manner tell her when she's doing something wrong, don't shout at her more a conversational tone. She's your little sister just be there for her so what even if she grows up a little spoiled it's not the end of the world.

7 in a month. :P

Seriously, I've told her again why what she does is wrong and why she shouldn't bully my little sister or act like she's better than everybody else but she doesn't listen. I've spoken to other children and they understand, she just doesn't seem to take in anything I say to her in terms of rules. My parents just don't want her to cry so they try and make sure it doesn't happen. My dad's also just really soft.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everybody.
Original post by Protégé
They just have that 'kids will be kids' attitude.

7 in a month. :P

Seriously, I've told her again why what she does is wrong and why she shouldn't bully my little sister or act like she's better than everybody else but she doesn't listen. I've spoken to other children and they understand, she just doesn't seem to take in anything I say to her in terms of rules. My parents just don't want her to cry so they try and make sure it doesn't happen. My dad's also just really soft.

Anyway, thanks for the advice everybody.

I think its difficult as an older sibling but not having your own children.the thing to remember is not all children are the same, keeping telling her something constantly in the same way will be useless,give her time she ll probably grow out of it.
Original post by Anonymous

This:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by claireestelle
I think its difficult as an older sibling but not having your own children.the thing to remember is not all children are the same, keeping telling her something constantly in the same way will be useless,give her time she ll probably grow out of it.

Yeah, the weird thing is that she's really smart and she does very good in school. Just that she's been this way for a really long time, when she was like 2/3 years old she was fine.
Original post by Protégé
Yeah, the weird thing is that she's really smart and she does very good in school. Just that she's been this way for a really long time, when she was like 2/3 years old she was fine.

Look up the stages of child development might help you understand a bit. Toddlers are completely different to primary school children,both mentally and emotionally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending