The Student Room Group

My sister and I have a non existent relationship

I’m 17 and my sister is 23. My sister said to me that we don’t even like each other and we don’t even talk to each other. I feel bad. we just don’t have anything in common. She doesn’t like the humour I have, she doesn’t like anything that I like. Whereas with my brother who is a few years younger than me, I get along with him so well.
My sister finds it ‘rude’ because I never run up to her when she comes home from work/out to say hello to her, though I do for my parents.
I wish I had a relationship with her, I’ve tried so many times.
She finds my humour ‘hurtful’ and hence why I don’t make my jokes with her. So then, she says I’m not fun and boring and the whole cycle repeats.

Honestly we have nothing in common and she’s always comparing me and telling me how her friends younger sisters treat their older sister so nicely and have a good relationship.

I feel like my older sister doesn’t even make an effort to form a relationship between us.
I have friends that are my age and have siblings the same age as my sister and they always get along so well and post each other and hang out with each other. What are we doing so wrong??
Reply 1
Have u told ur sister before that u want a relationship, that u wanna do stuff with her but it feels like she isnt putting in effort. If u have that little in common it might also seem to her that ur not putting effort in either for whatever reason
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 17 and my sister is 23. My sister said to me that we don’t even like each other and we don’t even talk to each other. I feel bad. we just don’t have anything in common. She doesn’t like the humour I have, she doesn’t like anything that I like. Whereas with my brother who is a few years younger than me, I get along with him so well.
My sister finds it ‘rude’ because I never run up to her when she comes home from work/out to say hello to her, though I do for my parents.
I wish I had a relationship with her, I’ve tried so many times.
She finds my humour ‘hurtful’ and hence why I don’t make my jokes with her. So then, she says I’m not fun and boring and the whole cycle repeats.

Honestly we have nothing in common and she’s always comparing me and telling me how her friends younger sisters treat their older sister so nicely and have a good relationship.

I feel like my older sister doesn’t even make an effort to form a relationship between us.
I have friends that are my age and have siblings the same age as my sister and they always get along so well and post each other and hang out with each other. What are we doing so wrong??

Hi, this isn't your fault, sibling relationships are difficult and it requires both people to put effort in (sounds like she's not) it may well come with time, I never got on with my brother but we are starting to better now that we are older. Like the person above said, I'd recommend sharing your feelings about it with her, but don't put too much pressure on it. If you both want it it may well develop over time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending