The Student Room Group

AS + A2 Economics

How hard would this be to study next year? I like maths and chem and definitely want to take it onto A2 but not looking forward to taking on either one of my other subjects next year.

I'm doing well in maths & chemistry so how would AS + A2 economics alongside A2 maths and chem be ?

This is AQA economics btw
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone ?
I don't know about AQA but the current spec of OCR Economics looks very easy with some saying the AS Modules can be completely covered and practiced for within 2 months. I do not know much about what it is like at A2 though.
Original post by L'Eternité
I don't know about AQA but the current spec of OCR Economics looks very easy with some saying the AS Modules can be completely covered and practiced for within 2 months. I do not know much about what it is like at A2 though.

I could start on AS economics straight after my exams and work until the start of my A2 year. But yeah i need someone who's done AQA to tell me if it's possible :smile:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
I could start on AS economics straight after my exams and work until the start of my A2 year. But yeah i need someone who's done AQA to tell me if it's possible :smile:

Currently doing AQA Economics AS - About to sit the exam this Monday. Trust me when I say the difficulty of AQA is higher in contrast to OCR, but it does equip you with more knowledge. It's possible but it will be demanding. There's an essay question on the papers worth 25 marks which can make or break the exam and you must be able to produce a high quality piece of work under timed pressure.
Original post by High Stakes
Currently doing AQA Economics AS - About to sit the exam this Monday. Trust me when I say the difficulty of AQA is higher in contrast to OCR, but it does equip you with more knowledge. It's possible but it will be demanding. There's an essay question on the papers worth 25 marks which can make or break the exam and you must be able to produce a high quality piece of work under timed pressure.

Difficulty in what part? More content to learn? I'm able to follow exam technique once I've learnt it.
Difficulty in what part? More content to learn? I'm able to follow exam technique once I've learnt it.

Exam technique. The exams are much more demanding I feel.
Reply 7
AQA AS is piss lol.. multiple choice, generous grade boundaries and a 5 mark definition (amongst other questions ofc)

A2 is harder in the sense that the questions are longer and more demanding, however content-wise Unit 4 does not increase in difficulty. That said, Unit 3 (micro) is difficult (although once again, general grade boundaries)
How hard would this be to study next year? I like maths and chem and definitely want to take it onto A2 but not looking forward to taking on either one of my other subjects next year.

I'm doing well in maths & chemistry so how would AS + A2 economics alongside A2 maths and chem be ?

This is AQA economics btw

AS economics is cake but A2 economics is too tough to be taken with chemistry

Which variant of as economics are you sitting for on monday??
Is it possible to get a predicted grade in a subject i havent sat yet? This would be the case if i did economics next year.
predicted grades are based on your school exams and tests
So you would have to sit for those atleast twice for them to measure youre progress and calculate predicted grade in a levels exams
Original post by anonlad
AQA AS is piss lol.. multiple choice, generous grade boundaries and a 5 mark definition (amongst other questions ofc)

A2 is harder in the sense that the questions are longer and more demanding, however content-wise Unit 4 does not increase in difficulty. That said, Unit 3 (micro) is difficult (although once again, general grade boundaries)

Do you know if A2 is synoptic? What if I sat in AS classes aswell as the A2 classes?
Reply 13
Do you know if A2 is synoptic? What if I sat in AS classes aswell as the A2 classes?

It is synoptic yeah, I've found that for Unit 3 I've had to re-learn externalities/public good/merit goods/price volatility although you pick it up much faster the second time round. There really isn't any point sitting in AS classes, just keep your revision notes from the previous year. Unit 4 is really similar content to unit 2 except from a few more concepts are thrown in (Phillips curve etc), so you wont need to re-learn AS macro as you go over it all in year 13 anyway
Original post by anonlad
It is synoptic yeah, I've found that for Unit 3 I've had to re-learn externalities/public good/merit goods/price volatility although you pick it up much faster the second time round. There really isn't any point sitting in AS classes, just keep your revision notes from the previous year. Unit 4 is really similar content to unit 2 except from a few more concepts are thrown in (Phillips curve etc), so you wont need to re-learn AS macro as you go over it all in year 13 anyway

I dont have any revision notes for it, I wanted to pick up the whole A level for next year alongside two subjects i am already doing. So would sitting in AS classes help me?
Reply 15
I dont have any revision notes for it, I wanted to pick up the whole A level for next year alongside two subjects i am already doing. So would sitting in AS classes help me?

Oh I see, yes if you want to take Unit 1 and Unit 2 exams as well as Unit 3 and 4 next year you will need to sit in AS classes, especially if you did not do economic GCSE
Original post by anonlad
Oh I see, yes if you want to take Unit 1 and Unit 2 exams as well as Unit 3 and 4 next year you will need to sit in AS classes, especially if you did not do economic GCSE

Ahh okay thanks for the input :smile: and I did take it at GCSE and got an A :biggrin: so part of the reason of picking it up next year is because i did find it interesting at GCSE
Exam technique. The exams are much more demanding I feel.

How did you find both the AQA Economics exams?
How did you find both the AQA Economics exams?

Unit 1 was challenging but I managed to perform well. Unit 2 was ridiculously easy; loved it.
Unit 1 was challenging but I managed to perform well. Unit 2 was ridiculously easy; loved it.

Yeah that was the general feeling in my school too, I think a lot of people will be retaking Unit 1. I'm waiting to see the results of my school before I make a proper decision of doing Economics in one year (also need permission from school too xD). But I may get a headstart on AS content after my exams finish next week. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest