The Student Room Group

How important are GCSEs to Oxford and Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jneill
Just one other thought: the Trinity view (as per the links in earlier replies) of acceptable A-levels is somewhat "stricter" than many other Cambridge colleges. But that said I still think, unfortunately, your A-level selection may be a problem for any college.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay, well thank you again for replying.
If you really want to study law at Oxbridge, I'd strongly consider starting your A Levels again, ideally doing four full A2s (something like strong essay subject*2, something sciency and possibly a foreign language), and studying/sitting GCSEs privately in your free time. The thing is that most Oxbridge degrees require reasonably strong argumentative (logical) ability which tends to correlate with at least good mathematical ability. If you struggle with logic in general, you're simply not going to enjoy an Oxbridge degree.
The
Original post by emilygrey
Hi.

I’ve taken my GCSEs, my grades are:

ArtC
English LanguageA
English LiteratureB
I.T CoreA
I.T OptionA (It was an A* on my final grade sheet, but my coursework got remarked)
Mathematics C (I sat my maths exam in November in Year 12, I didn't get a C the first time round)
Religious EducationB
Science AdditionalB
SpanishC

And here are my predicted results for A-Level:

Business StudiesA*
English LanguageA*
ICT A*

I would really like to study Law at either Oxford or Cambridge University. I know that it may be quite a reach, considering my GCSE results. The reason why I didn't manage to achieve better grades at GCSE is because I used to get really bad migraines. I would sometimes be off school for up to a couple of weeks at time. My attendance at its lowest was 57%, that was around the time when all of my coursework was due to be handed in complete. I hadn't managed to finish all of my I.T coursework, and that's why I dropped down a grade because I hadn't finished all of the units needed for an A*.

I would like to ask, do I even have the slightest chance of being considered by either of these universities for law? Right now, I'm leaning towards Cambridge because they say that good A-Levels can make up for bad GCSE performance, and they've also got an extenuating circumstances form that you can submit. Oxford seems much more strict with GCSEs though.

-Thank you! :smile:

Hi,

I have an offer for Law at Robinson college, Cambridge. Although those GCSEs are below average if you can prove extenuating circumstances you should be ok- ask your teachers to put your GCSE average attendance on the form but also make sure they know that your attendance is now higher. Whilst those predictions are good, the subjects weren't the best choice- I would advise saying in your personal statement why you chose them and trying to link them to law- for example English Language has helped you develop your communication and writing skills. Also, I noticed on another thread you said you did English Literature A-level, this is a stronger subject than your other 3 so I would recommend keeping that till A2, possibly as a replacement for ICT? :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
Interestingly Christ's AT is much more encouraging in his thread than most of the replies here (including mine tbf):

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3257071&page=21&p=55570781#post55570781

Good luck!
Reply 24
Original post by jneill
Interestingly Christ's AT is much more encouraging in his thread than most of the replies here (including mine tbf):

And somewhat contrary to Cambridge's general published guidelines on A level subject choice :confused:

Are there any recent stats available on number/percentage of Cambridge undergraduates admitted without a single 'facilitating subject' at A level (either for Law or at total level)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending