The Student Room Group

Oxford University - A-Level Entry Requirements

Page 4 shows it all!!! :s-smilie:

University of Oxford Admissions Report

60.8% of applicants admitted had A star, A star and A star grades or more.

19.8% of applicants admitted had A star, A star and A grades

10.6% of applicants admitted had A star, A and A grades

2.5% of applicants admitted had A, A and A grades.

It is now clear, Oxford University admits the highest achievers of A star grades with the vast majority being 3 A stars and a significant number with 2 A stars?! :s-smilie: So why do they have AAA entry requirements, when the admissions will most likely reject them?
Original post by thegeek888

It is now clear, Oxford University admits the highest achievers of A star grades with the vast majority being 3 A stars and a significant number with 2 A stars?! :s-smilie: So why do they have AAA entry requirements, when the admissions will most likely reject them?

The statistics you refer to are for the 2022 intake, who by the time of publication will have been awarded their A levels and you should also bear in mind that year they gave out far more A* grades than usual to compensate for disruption due to covid.

Those admitted are those who will have met or exceeded the conditions of their offers, be those A*A*A, AAA or whatever. And they will have already been predicted grades at least on par with the entry requirements in the first place.

Because those applying to Oxford generally are high achievers, you would expect those that do meet the conditions of their offers to perform ridiculously well.

In light of all of the considerations I have made above, I’m not surprised by those statistics and I don’t think they should be interpreted as a sign that you won’t get in without straight A* predictions etc.

I would be interested to know what the admissions statistics for Cambridge are, for comparison.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
The statistics you refer to are for the 2022 intake, who by the time of publication will have been awarded their A levels and you should also bear in mind that year they gave out far more A* grades than usual to compensate for disruption due to covid.

Those admitted are those who will have met or exceeded the conditions of their offers, be those A*A*A, AAA or whatever. And they will have already been predicted grades at least on par with the entry requirements in the first place.

Because those applying to Oxford generally are high achievers, you would expect those that do meet the conditions of their offers to perform ridiculously well.

In light of all of the considerations I have made above, I’m not surprised by those statistics and I don’t think they should be interpreted as a sign that you won’t get in without straight A* predictions etc.

I would be interested to know what the admissions statistics for Cambridge are, for comparison.

Turn to page 19!!! 🙂 Cambridge University Admissions 2022 Report (cam.ac.uk)

It is similar, with around 81% achieving 2 A stars or more.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 3

With an average of around 7 applicants per place and almost all applicants being predicted the standard offer there are lots of applicants getting 2 A stars + that won't have been made an offer. It's not surprising that A-level achievement correlates with success, but it's not the ultimate reason those people were successful.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd

I wonder if it is worth applying to St. John's College, Oxford University or Magdalene College, Oxford University? Or should I leave that for Postgraduate Oxford 1 + 1 MBA and Masters degrees? You applied to Oxford twice for Chemistry and got in the second time? So I would re-apply to Cambridge, if rejected, but I know I will 'shine' with a 'stellar' Personal Statement.

I will be a mature student in my mid 30s by the time I apply, but I still look in my 20s. 😉 lol I did my GCSEs in the 2000s when there were still only A stars and As. I achieved 5 A* 4A in Maths, Science, History, IT and Electronics, Media Studies, English Language and English Literature.

I am set to do Maths, Further Maths, German, French and Spanish over 2 years in September 2024 to June 2026. I will achieve at least 3A* 2A. So I exceed the AAA requirements for Law at Oxford and Cambridge. But my only weakness is my GCSEs. I was the top student, but I had serious issues beyond my control which lead me to fail. But now nearly two decades later, I am better prepared than ever.

Or should I instead apply to Trinity College, Cambridge University, where there will be face to face, in person interviews? 😧
Pretty sure Oxford do face to face interviews now again...

In any event mature students are evaluated in that context (i.e. as mature students) to my knowledge and I understand usually the more recent study is of more importance/relevance. I suspect that and the LNAT will be the overriding consideration rather than 13+ year old GCSE grades.

Don't think doing 5 A-levels is really worthwhile and especially with those subjects I don't think that's a reasonable workload unless you are already fluent in the languages (which may be considered an issue by some colleges anyway...?).
(edited 3 months ago)
I wonder if it is worth applying to St. John's College, Oxford University or Magdalene College, Oxford University? Or should I leave that for Postgraduate Oxford 1 + 1 MBA and Masters degrees? You applied to Oxford twice for Chemistry and got in the second time? So I would re-apply to Cambridge, if rejected, but I know I will 'shine' with a 'stellar' Personal Statement.

I will be a mature student in my mid 30s by the time I apply, but I still look in my 20s. 😉 lol I did my GCSEs in the 2000s when there were still only A stars and As. I achieved 5 A* 4A in Maths, Science, History, IT and Electronics, Media Studies, English Language and English Literature.

I am set to do Maths, Further Maths, German, French and Spanish over 2 years in September 2024 to June 2026. I will achieve at least 3A* 2A. So I exceed the AAA requirements for Law at Oxford and Cambridge. But my only weakness is my GCSEs. I was the top student, but I had serious issues beyond my control which lead me to fail. But now nearly two decades later, I am better prepared than ever.

Or should I instead apply to Trinity College, Cambridge University, where there will be face to face, in person interviews? 😧

You are correct that I applied twice for chemistry at Oxford, getting in on my second attempt.

Honestly, I couldn’t tell you whether it would/wouldn’t be worth applying to Magdalen or St John’s, as I have very little idea of what you are looking for in a potential college.

Whilst I am certain both colleges offer law (I know St John’s definitely does), I have no idea what the teaching is like for it at either college at any level and I couldn’t tell you much about the accommodation at Magdalen (or what postgraduate accommodation is on offer at St John’s).

It is well worth looking around both colleges on an open day (these are usually in late June and mid September) and asking around as there will be plenty of student helpers and staff around.

As above, I would imagine your GCSE’s are not likely to be a problem, given how long ago you sat them. They are also perfectly good grades, so I wouldn’t think they’d be problematic. The LNAT and interviews should be what decide the outcome of your application.

Your choice of A level subjects is interesting. Maths and further maths shouldn’t be too problematic as they should go hand-in-hand, but I would caution against taking three languages. You only need three A levels and I would imagine that the workload would be unreasonable.

If you wish to instead apply to Trinity college, Cambridge then by all means do so. Just make sure you’ve done your research to check the college would be a good fit, supposing you were to land a place there and be aware that the competition at Trinity tends to be very intense - even by Oxbridge standards.

Edit: as for Oxford colleges it may be worth considering at undergraduate level, this is worth a look: https://apply.oxfordsu.org/colleges/suggester/
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending