The Student Room Group

Hair Straighteners - A Guide

Scroll to see replies

Ilora-Danon
In my book, there are no alternatives to GHDs. Your sister would be absolutely chuffed to bits if you could afford them.

If you really can't stretch to GHDs then I suggest a totally different gift.

I completely agree.

Maybe ask your mum to go halves with you or something...
Reply 341
Nonsense, Pro230 is just ask good as the GHD's, they get hotter too though thats not that important.
Ilora-Danon
In my book, there are no alternatives to GHDs. Your sister would be absolutely chuffed to bits if you could afford them.

If you really can't stretch to GHDs then I suggest a totally different gift.

I agree too :smile:

As another poster said, try the going halves option with another member in your family or something
Reply 343
Yeh could go halves i guess. This is the latest model i guess? http://www.amazon.co.uk/ghd-styler-Mk4-hair-straightener/dp/B000N2P5DM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/202-2311849-9823853?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1189889887&sr=8-1

But i could probably get them cheaper on ebay...hmmm.
I got Nicki Clarkes for 20 quid out of Boots, 50% discount, and I'm really happy with them.
Then again, I don't need my hair to be dead straight, and I don't use them daily.
stepheh
wet2straight ones dont get anywhere near as hot as normal ones.
make sure you buy ceramic plate straighteners NOT ceramic PLATED straighteners.
the plated ones are rubbish and go crappy after a few months.
if you go to boots and talk to whoevers on the electrical counter, they can give you an honest opinion of what the best ones are at the moment.
Also, you need wide plate ones! !
the new babyliss ones are really good.
they go up to 230 really quickly, and are a good price

GHD's are really good.. but so expensive..
but i think everyone that has them will tell you that they're worth it

isn't that a bit of a contradiction
the babyliss info people told me themselves their straighteners are ceramic coated because solid ceramic is likely to crack at temps higher than 210 degrees...
but they also said coating shouldn't wear away and there is the 305 year warrantee
Hana_1987
Mostly burning my fingers..hmm. I think it's cos I tend to go over areas lots to make sure it's done properly, and the back is the hardest bit for me to do (plusI normally get distracted by eastenders and holby city)

This is what my hair decided to do to me today...don't you just love frizz

Hana.. its yooo again!
you pop up evreywere on these forums
Reply 347
Remmington Power Ceramics are also very good!
^Yep I have Remingtons and they're very good. Poor guy, we're probably confusing him with all out different suggestions here :biggrin:

I'd see if you can go halves with someone on the GHD's as they're probably the best, though myself, I'm happy with my remingtons :p:
Reply 349
Has anyone tried the T3 straighteners? Any good? Im thinking of maybe buying a pair of them if GHD wont repair/replace my broken ones

Ive read some reviews and some people say they're better than GHDS, other people say they're not, so its difficult to know what to believe!!
I have the 07 ghds.
I have mad hair. and these are the only straighteners ive found that not only straighten...but keep it straight!

Worth every penny!
Reply 351
Does anyone know what voltage hair straighteners need to be to work in the US? At the moment I have some GHD ones, they say 220-240v on them. Im going to be buying these this week though:

http://www.t3hair.com/88-83922-2.html

and I was just wondering if they are likely to work in America, as I am off there soon? Obviously I dont want to risk breaking them or anything!!

Would I need a voltage converter or something?!! Help! :confused:
120 V

I got a voltage converter for my straighteners but with it they only heated up to 300F (out of 450) and after about 15 minutes of being on, the converter broke, or something. And I had to get new straighteners.
Reply 353
Just wanted to say that my T3 straighteners came last week and they are really good, much better than my GHDs ever were!! They were £115 but definately worth the price!!
Hi, sorry to but in but my new year's resolution is to make good use of my beautiful hair (lol I sound like my mother) but yeah, I was thinking about buying GHDs but from what I've heard, they're not worth the money because they always end up :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: after a few months, so do you think I should get them off ebay?

Thanks!
I've read on this forum that Kodo straighteners are very good. I've found these ones on Amazon, which are very cheap: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodo-Creative-Ionic-Straight-Straighteners/dp/B0012BMR70/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1242345542&sr=8-6. I'm quite sceptical because of the cheap price; there are more expensive Kodo straighteners on Amazon too & I'm not sure how these ones compare. & the annoying thing is there don't seem to be many reviews on it when I seach on google. Have any of you tried this particular model & would you recommend it?
A Shining Light
I've read on this forum that Kodo straighteners are very good. I've found these ones on Amazon, which are very cheap: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodo-Creative-Ionic-Straight-Straighteners/dp/B0012BMR70/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1242345542&sr=8-6. I'm quite sceptical because of the cheap price; there are more expensive Kodo straighteners on Amazon too & I'm not sure how these ones compare. & the annoying thing is there don't seem to be many reviews on it when I seach on google. Have any of you tried this particular model & would you recommend it?

Those Kodo straigteners look strange to me - they don't like genuine! Sorry :s-smilie:

I just bought these and am hoping they are good - let me know your thoughts?

I am bringing this thread back to life - but you made that post in May - did you get them? Or did you buy different ones?
Reply 357
:smile: Very useful information, I use a very good straightener, it's the Karmin Professional Titanium flat iron, it works pretty good, I can choose to straighten, flip, wave or curl my hair and try different hair styles, it removes static and leaves my hair silky and shiny, and it's less damaging than chemical treatments. :biggrin:
Reply 358
The best flat iron I have used is the Karmin.
My mum paid for half of my GHD when I was 16 and it still works great!

Quick Reply

Latest