The Student Room Group

Is £19 a week enough for uni?

I’m planning to get a part time job while at uni but I worked out that since my £3292 maintenance loan payments are every 15 weeks and my rent for 15 weeks would be just over £3000, I would only be left with £19 a week, would it be possible to survive off of that or would it be likely too much of a struggle? Are jobs hard to find while at university?
I can’t see how it’s enough, weekly food shopping alone would probably cost more than that due to the cost of living crisis and just in general.
Reply 2
Original post by Talkative Toad
I can’t see how it’s enough, weekly food shopping alone would probably cost more than that due to the cost of living crisis and just in general.

I would assume I would definitely have to get a job but I’m unsure of how difficult that would be
Original post by Anonymous
I would assume I would definitely have to get a job but I’m unsure of how difficult that would be

Yeah I haven’t applied for jobs yet so I have no idea either.
I’m planning to get a part time job while at uni but I worked out that since my £3292 maintenance loan payments are every 15 weeks and my rent for 15 weeks would be just over £3000, I would only be left with £19 a week, would it be possible to survive off of that or would it be likely too much of a struggle? Are jobs hard to find while at university?

Surely there are university bursaries?
Reply 5
Original post by random_matt
Surely there are university bursaries?

I had a look but I don’t think I’m eligible for any that mine offers, I guess I’d just have to budget tightly
I had a look but I don’t think I’m eligible for any that mine offers, I guess I’d just have to budget tightly

I will assume that is private accommodation as that is extortion. I only pay £2132 for 15 weeks at university owned accommodation.
Reply 7
As a representative of your local "Bank of Mum and Dad" branch i can confirm that i provide funding equal to £150 per week during University Semesters. So 32 weeks at £150 a contribution of £ 4,800 this being in addition to the maintenance loan per year. This is for a student at University of Bristol that is not working any part time jobs whilst at University but does work during the summer holiday period. This is at the top end in relation to most students.

Online reports i read tell me that the average Bank of Mum and Dad payments are £37.50 per week during University Semester time in addition to the maintenance loan. However, colleagues at other Bank of Mum and Dad branches that i am in regular contact with tell me that they fund between £50 and £150 per week. The lowest being £50 per week BUT this is from a fairly affluent full time employed parent demographic. I appreciate that many students are not as fortunate.

My view would be that if you have calculated that you have £19 per week after paying out accommodation you will need to add to this in some format either by bank of mum and dad or some other means. If your local Bank of Mum and Dad branch is closed or wont offer any financial support then you will need to pick up at least a few part time hours per week to sustain. Many students do this and there are plenty of opportunities close to most universities.

If you think about it, if you managed to get by on £6 a day which is fairly tight that's £42 a week so if you only have £19 you will need to top up by at least £23 a week but most students want to attend events and buy tickets or pay for sports or clubs so you need something for that. You will do Ok just need to learn to budget well and take advantage of all the student discounts you can to help keep costs down,

Good luck

Hey there!

It depends what it is you'll be buying. For me personally, my food shopping costs around £25-30 a week, leaning more towards the 30. That doesn't cover other toiletries or possible other things I might need. For example, during first year I had a period of time that everything just seemed to break such as my hair straighteners, TV and laptop charger all within the space of a month. You can't predict those sorts of things. My advice is to try and look for a part-time job that has contracted hours. That way you're guaranteed shifts every week rather than a zero hour contract where it's anyone's guess as to whether you'll be getting shifts that week. If your uni city has good transport links, try looking for a job outside the city centre that you can travel to. Everyone will be looking for the city centre jobs so if you're willing to travel out a bit then that's a good option for you.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Are you receiving the full maintenance loan?
If not, the government expects your family to be providing some funds for you.

Also for £200 per week I hope the toilet is gold plated!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 10
Original post by 04MR17
Also for £200 per week I hope the toilet is gold plated!

The OP is paying £3k for 15 weeks so for the two semesters 32 weeks we are talking £6,400 for the Uni year
It's obviously going to differ depending on the University concerned and not to mention what is available but FYI my daughter is paying £ 8,400. Which wasn't the most expensive and wasn't the cheapest but was the best deal we could get at the time.

For that she is getting a room you can't swing a cat in. If you sat on the side of her bed you could get your feet to touch the wall and at the end is a work table she can work on. it has the advantage of having its own toilet and shower. It is a typical "on suite" room and nothing is "gold plated" about it. I would say IMO there are a heck of a lot of students paying £6k+ for halls and significantly more if they are in the private sector having to pay annual contracts.

Hope the OP can find a PT job to support, i'm sure they will
Original post by LsDad
The OP is paying £3k for 15 weeks so for the two semesters 32 weeks we are talking £6,400 for the Uni year
It's obviously going to differ depending on the University concerned and not to mention what is available but FYI my daughter is paying £ 8,400. Which wasn't the most expensive and wasn't the cheapest but was the best deal we could get at the time.

For that she is getting a room you can't swing a cat in. If you sat on the side of her bed you could get your feet to touch the wall and at the end is a work table she can work on. it has the advantage of having its own toilet and shower. It is a typical "on suite" room and nothing is "gold plated" about it. I would say IMO there are a heck of a lot of students paying £6k+ for halls and significantly more if they are in the private sector having to pay annual contracts.

£3k for 15 weeks is £200/week, no? Have I done the maths wrong? :erm:

I said I hope the toilet is gold-plated, not that I think it will be or that it should be. :iiam:
Original post by LsDad

Yep many en-suites and studios cost £200 a week or £6000+ a year.

If you’re a southerner (includes London obviously) then you know what’s up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending