The Student Room Group

What do you think about the "dad bod"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Schrödingers Cat
PRSOM

This is hilarious

I love the guys channel. The constant gunshots in a lot of the vids are absolute comedy gold lol

http://youtu.be/BS-oRydlnCE

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
It's just people being insecure - bit pathetic and sad really.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Slim nearly always implies underweight. I mean, we're comparing it to the dadbod...

Can't find them at the moment but hopefully I will remember to come back and post links later.

Bear in mind that the heavier men will more often have a higher metabolism than those guys with abs. Metabolic innate differences rarely account for a difference of more than 200 calories burnt.

What a crock of ****. I don't think I've ever heard somebody with an underweight BMI defined as slim. Have you ever actually seen an 'underweight' person? I don't understand why nobody has called you out on this yet. You're running around quoting studies and statistics that aren't even applicable.

Nobody is saying that having a BMI <18.5 is good for you. However, stating "slim people are just as unhealthy as overweight or obese people" is both misleading and flat out wrong. I was a skinny ass mofo /w 60kg @ 5'7" a few years back, even then my BMI was still above 20. Bugger all of these statistics are relevent.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
I love the guys channel. The constant gunshots in a lot of the vids are absolute comedy gold lol

http://youtu.be/BS-oRydlnCE

Posted from TSR Mobile

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooool

SO true though, the amount of people in my gym who never do legs is funny, I actually like doing squats it's one of my favourite exercises so I never miss a leg day :tongue: Except at the moment because I ****ed up my knee :bawling:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooool

SO true though, the amount of people in my gym who never do legs is funny, I actually like doing squats it's on of my favourite exercises so my I never miss a leg day :tongue: Except at the moment because I ****ed up my knee :bawling:

I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5 atm to get my strength back up so lots and lots of squats!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by icdjabtjk
What do you think about Fedor though?! Is his body good for people? It seems like it could be a strong dad bod right? alpha dad bod

[video="youtube;JhDzEVBTQgw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhDzEVBTQgw[/video]

Talented enough to dominate a weak division but nowhere near functionally athletic enough to cope with modern top heavyweights. Also that highlight is horribly edited and doesn't even show him getting slammed by Randleman = SMH
Reply 66
I think it's a combination of things.

Guys like to be lazy, and if there is a chance their body will be attractive to girls without properly comitting to working out, they won't.

Likewise, there aren't enough of us ripped dudes to go around, so girls have to settle for someone more mediocre :wink:

In all seriousness, it's just another BS fad going round. Sure, some people actually find it attractive :s-smilie:, but most are trying to excuse something, be it workout out, or being attracted to someone who doesn't properly workout.

I think the idea of the 'dad bod' being typical of someone who works out occasionally but doesn't really give a **** is incorrect. Most people I see who half arse the gym are scrawny guys with a slight amount of muscle mass, usually just in the arms.
The video summed it up perfectly, it's a way of making your average life seem better.

Also enjoyed "We start going to the gym to get girls, we quickly learn that we go so that we can be better than everyone else."
Original post by .JC.
I think it's a combination of things.

Guys like to be lazy, and if there is a chance their body will be attractive to girls without properly comitting to working out, they won't.

Likewise, there aren't enough of us ripped dudes to go around, so girls have to settle for someone more mediocre :wink:

In all seriousness, it's just another BS fad going round. Sure, some people actually find it attractive :s-smilie:, but most are trying to excuse something, be it workout out, or being attracted to someone who doesn't properly workout.

I think the idea of the 'dad bod' being typical of someone who works out occasionally but doesn't really give a **** is incorrect. Most people I see who half arse the gym are scrawny guys with a slight amount of muscle mass, usually just in the arms.

I think the fitness industry needs to get its **** together in all honesty. Theres too much BS about. When i first wanted to lose my gut it was information overload on the web. So much ****. So so much. It hindered my progress and made me feel less confident and miserable because i was confused as well where to go. So many fancy exercises, so many fitness professionals fighting over whats best like teenage girls, so much focusing on isolation exercises, so much unnecessary scientific bs about diet etc when theres not much at all stating what is the bread and butter (the basics).

All i needed to do was clean up my diet, focus on getting the macros and calories i need to achieve my goals, focus on basic bread and butter strength exercises (with additional cardio) such as bench press, squats, deadlifts, overhead barbell press, etc (The Starting Strength programme) to get my strength up and to build a decent foundation instead of going off any **** i find on Bodybuilding.com. Now i'm finally getting somewhere. Before i was learning how to play Mozart before i learn Twinkle Twinkle Little Star.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think it looks particularly appealing. I'm very skinny but at least my abs are a bit more defined than usual.
Reply 70
Original post by icdjabtjk
no im not obsessed but everything youre saying is a bit weird tbh, as if you dont read anything people write but respond to a fantasy conversation which isnt actually happening.

You are the one who brought up some pretty unlikely scenarios. Although I did know someone who was on a ship that sunk and he got a lot of compo even though he wasn't injured or spent that long in the water. He was really skinny as well.
My flatmate and her friends all agree with this.

Uhh. I dunno if I'd like having a dad body (although not far off haha), but its nice to know it really doesn't matter. Makes it somewhat less uncomfortable taking my top off at the beach/midnight at pop! when baywatch comes on...
(edited 8 years ago)
powerlifting for the mother****ing win
Disgusting trend for poverty non-lifters or crap lifters.

Agree with Bulk above
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BulkBogan
The thing is, many girls know that they will never be able to pull any guy who's ripped. So by saying that they prefer slightly fat guys, they are just making excuses.

Or maybe some girls just subconsciously go for guys that look like their dad?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh - thats too predictable, no I think how u see people what u lke and what makes u horny differs a lot and there will be some girls goin for that kind of guy. Always.
Insecure women that need to look like the better one like that type of body...

They know the man will be loyal and won't leave them and will exalt them.
Sad really, if you ask me.

Yet another attempt to feminine men. Anything masculine these days seems to be able to be demonised and unfortunately young men believe this stuff.
Original post by iAmanze
Insecure women that need to look like the better one like that type of body...

They know the man will be loyal and won't leave them and will exalt them.
Sad really, if you ask me.

Yet another attempt to feminine men. Anything masculine these days seems to be able to be demonised and unfortunately young men believe this stuff.

This is what I was thinking is the behind the trend.

However, a much deeper type of love and loyalty is a man who could cheat and chooses not to because he doesn't actually want to, rather than because he can't. The entire reason behind his actions, is not that he is forced, but that his girl is the only girl he wants.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by crazylemon
In terms of studies Big Lancet one from '09 (Meta analysis) : http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0140673609603184

(My study is bigger than your study :tongue: )

Being overweight has a lower mortality/basically the same as BMI < 22.5. Why isn't entirely known. Some is thought to be due to smoking but it doesn't explain it all.

Once you get into obesity class 1 and certainly 2 you then see the mortality go up. OB1 being lower mortality than <18.5 and OB2 greater.

Having said that humans have got increasingly bad at estimating what is 'normal weight'. With several studies showing people thing anything below OB2 is normal weight and OB2 as just overweight!

So depending on what 'dad bod' means it could be healthier than being 'slim' (chub and of normal - overweight) or really unhealthy.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1000367#t=articleResults

This is effectively the follow up from your study, paying more attention to smoking as a risk factor and excluding participants with existing disease/Ca. Smoking is a strong confounder. The leaner you are, the more affect smoking has on you. Then, of course, assessing low BMIs is difficult because you cannot be certain if the participant has an underlying, undiagnosed illness or if they are small + fit. Longer term follow up is required (like all things medicine), as the longer you follow up the lower the risk for low BMIs (Read: <20kg/m^2) becomes.

Either way, I would not advocate being a bit chubby as better than being slim - unless you smoke - as the data is sketch but points towards not being the same.
(edited 8 years ago)
Im surprised people dont know about broscience.

That being said, i dont mind the dad bod actually. Strongmen competitors and powerlififters are the archetype of a dad bod.

Who would have thought

Quick Reply

Latest