The Student Room Group

Not Quite a Fresher...

Sooooo
I've decided to create a blog/thread to talk about my experience so far at university and to hopefully help those who are at university or applying! I am a second year student studying Primary Education (sorry about not being a fresher in the freshers section :colondollar:) and will be hopefully giving you a good insight into the peaks and stresses into this crazy career choice (and me yapping on about other random stuff).

Being a teacher is a difficult job no matter what people say... I salute all those who have been in the industry for years and years. It's a little bit like marmite; you either love or hate it. And for me I love it (so far!) The endless hours making resources to be used for 10 minutes, extremely detailed lesson plans that never get followed and the hours of marking to be glanced at for 5 seconds...yes we all hate it but it's so worth it in the end. Being on my placement has made me see that...still such a rewarding career I think!

Anyway...a little about myself
Second year at uni (as you know). I'm 20 years old, single and currently living in a student house with a couple of my course mates. I would describe myself as fairly bubbly and outgoing (you have to be to do this job!). I get along with anyone and anything...yes I talk to pets like children. Don't judge me. Generally quite a happy person and I do hope this shows throughout. I guarantee everything I'm going to blog about now ill end up moaning about...

Anyway enough of the chat I'm off now...will blog tomorrow after school.
AG x :biggrin:
Reply 1
So today I went on a school trip - was really good and it was exciting to get away from the teaching as over the past few days it has really been stressing me out (as bloody usual)
I have been so emotional the past 2/3 days because of my lessons, I don't seem to be receiving any positive feedback; just all improvements.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very appreciative of constructive criticism, however I can only be professional about it for so long until I start to take it personally. No positive feedback in over 10 lessons? Yup that's personal.
I'm being observed by my university tutor tomorrow so I hope she is ready for a rant.
I feel prepared and I feel like it will be a good lesson but I'm just waiting to be shot down with improvements and 'constructive' criticism.
To make matters worse, my friends have already been observed and keep telling me how well they are doing. I'm happy they are doing well but its not exactly helping my self-esteem though.
This is the earliest I have been in bed for a long time as I'm usually only just getting home by now.
Gonna keep this a short one and relax for the rest of the evening.
Have a good one
AG x
Reply 2
Just posting an update about my observation that took place on Wednesday, I got graded 'good' which I am over the moon about and way more than I expected!
Was very worried but my hard work did pay off luckily! Now it's half term and I've got a chance to relax (sort of) as im currently at work and im working bank holiday and all weekends. So I basically only have 4 days off. Better than nothing though!

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend
AG x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
So today I got my last assignment result which therefore allowed me to calculate the score I got for the year. I calculated overall I got a 2:2 which I feel okay about but not over the moon, ideally would want a 2:1. I need to work my ass off next year but I just don't know where I am going wrong!
Frustrates me because I get so annoyed when everyone is like 'what did you get' and its only the people who have done really well that ask. I NEVER ask people what they got in any assignment because I know what it feels like to do rubbish and I just don't want to tell anyone!
However I do feel like I am doing a lot better on placement than in my assignments which is ultimately what it should be about, however it doesn't count towards the grade.

AG x
Reply 4
So its a Saturday night and I'm sat in. Unsure whether I should go out or stay in and chill. The few days off are over and I was back at work today for 10 hours. 6 tomorrow.
Just watching the Bruce Jenner episode of the Kardashians and its just amazing how brave he really is. It's making me pretty emosh and its making me think if he can do that then I can do anything - making me so optimistic about life!
Wish I just had the courage to do some of the things I want to do, just need that initial push and support from my family and friends!
Going online right now as I type and I'm just having a look at travelling around the world and seeing how amazing it looks! Just wish I had the courage to get up and leave at some point! I would love to do something so different with my life, you only get one chance at life and I want to explore and discover so many different things in this world and feel like the next couple of years is the perfect opportunity in my life to kick start this dream of mine!
There are so many opportunities in my life for some amazing things to happen and I just need to get the courage to take them!

Feeling inspired right now!
Have a fabulous evening
AG X
Reply 5
Hey readers just a quick post

So the new term started on Monday and straight away I got thrown in to some teaching. We are currently finishing off last terms Roman topic so yesterday and today I did some really good mosaic canvases with the kids in small groups, tomorrow is roman dress up day and Thursday is a trip to Chester to find out about the romans. Exciting week ahead you may think! Not looking forward going in tomorrow dressed up - going to look like an idiot!
I'll post some pics of the mosaics once they have been fully completed!
Feeling slightly overwhelmed atm over workload and the fact that I have a job. So hard to keep up and stay awake! trying to remind myself that there is just over three weeks left...undecided as to whether I am going to survive!

night guys
AG x
Reply 6
Hi guys

Sorry for the lack of posts, I have been so busy with placement these past few weeks!
Such a busy job, up at 6am and finishing school at 6pm and then doing extra work at home has really took its toll on me. Currently working now and Monday will be my first day off - never been more excited for a Monday in my life!
Moving out of my house too on Sunday; this whole week has been stressful and hopefully everything will be back to normal on Monday so I can relax!
Have a great weekend
AG x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending