The Student Room Group

Getting to know people!

Hey, I'm going to take a gap year after finishing my 2nd-year A-Level so this doesn't quite apply to me yet but how do people typically get to know each other before going to uni? Do they do something similar for Cardiff University (Where I'm going)? Otherwise, how do people do icebreakers and stuff?
Original post by FintanP
Hey, I'm going to take a gap year after finishing my 2nd-year A-Level so this doesn't quite apply to me yet but how do people typically get to know each other before going to uni? Do they do something similar for Cardiff University (Where I'm going)? Otherwise, how do people do icebreakers and stuff?

Hey @FintanP :biggrin: Normally during Freshers weeks (the first week of uni) universities and their students unions will put on a ton of activities to help students meet each other and settle in. Sometimes these are course related (e.g. induction lessons, lab tours) or more social events - things like speed meeting, campus tours, silent discos, karaoke, pizza parties and more! There's generally something for everyone. Each uni will have similar events to help you settle in so throwing yourself in to everything that interests you is a good way to meet likeminded people :smile: There's always lots of fun events on during that week and plenty of freebies to take advantage of as well!

Often clubs and societies will have 'come and try' days where you can go along to get a taster of particular clubs or sports too before committing to joining them. So that's another way to get to know people and make new friends :five:

Even though you're not going this year keep an eye on Cardiff's socials/website around about Freshers week and this will give you an idea of the sort of events they run!

Good luck with your A-Levels!! What course are you starting after your gap year?

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Hi, I am also joining the University of Cardiff...let me pm you for more... We could share more about that
Original post by FintanP

Hey!
This is such a great question, before the year starts universities will often have a freshers Facebook group that you can join and find course mates, flat mates or just other people who will be starting at the same time as you. For me, this is how I got in touch with my flatmates and we then made our own flat group chat. I also found people who would be in my building and on my course. It's a great way to feel less intimidated by the number of people you will meet during freshers week.
Hope this helps, Faye

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending