The Student Room Group

The TSR Jewish Society (J-Soc) - thread TWO

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
gemgems89
Sure. And hi. And welcome. Etc. :biggrin:

That's for sure. :p: Why Egypt? And Arabic?

Interesting question. I wouldn't call myself necesarily a self-hating Jew, but I tend to be very critical of the way American Jewry works. To me, it seems more about being at war with people, and defending ourselves against a seeming threat than it is about celebrating our relationship with the world and our G-d. That's why I stay away from USY (United Synagogue Youth, the Conservative Youth group) and it's why I left Jewish school after eighth grade. I'm just too fed up with this militancy that I see every day. "We need to fight ____!" "We need to discuss this issue, because ___ are suffering." "How does this parsha relate to our brothers in Israel?"

I think we American Jews, perhaps Jews around the world, have lost sight of our obligation to Tikkun Olam--making the world a better place.

Why do I want to study Arabic? It interests me, and I like it. Why do I want to move to Egypt? Because that's where I can learn Arabic. Why do I study German? Because I like it. Why did I spend the summer living with Germans, who no doubt had relatives who were Nazi soldiers? Because I like them.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just trying to persue my passions, love my G-d, and make this world a better place.
gemgems89
The majority are Orthodox certainly here in the UK though I'm not sure the same can be said in the US. I am Orthodox yes. :smile:

The majority are not religious in each country. I think about half the religious Jews in Britain are orthodox. About 15% of American Jews are orthodox.
zackinbaltimore
Interesting question. I wouldn't call myself necesarily a self-hating Jew, but I tend to be very critical of the way American Jewry works. To me, it seems more about being at war with people, and defending ourselves against a seeming threat than it is about celebrating our relationship with the world and our G-d. That's why I stay away from USY (United Synagogue Youth, the Conservative Youth group) and it's why I left Jewish school after eighth grade. I'm just too fed up with this militancy that I see every day. "We need to fight ____!" "We need to discuss this issue, because ___ are suffering." "How does this parsha relate to our brothers in Israel?"

I think we American Jews, perhaps Jews around the world, have lost sight of our obligation to Tikkun Olam--making the world a better place.

Why do I want to study Arabic? It interests me, and I like it. Why do I want to move to Egypt? Because that's where I can learn Arabic. Why do I study German? Because I like it. Why did I spend the summer living with Germans, who no doubt had relatives who were Nazi soldiers? Because I like them.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I'm just trying to persue my passions, love my G-d, and make this world a better place.

Well Jews in America must be very different to Jews here because I've never heard any of those quotes you just said. :s-smilie: In the UK, we never mention "war" or defending ourselves. Don't get me wrong, we're very into security because there's a lot of anti-Semitism about but our main focus is exactly what you said, at least from my experience; our relationship with G-d and working towards unity.

Fair enough. There's nothing wrong with learning Arabic and German; it just seems like you're trying to prove (and this isn't necessarily a bad thing) that you don't hold a grudge despite past events regarding these nations and Jews, etc.
Reply 183
gemgems89
Fair enough. There's nothing wrong with learning Arabic and German; it just seems like you're trying to prove (and this isn't necessarily a bad thing) that you don't hold a grudge despite past events regarding these nations and Jews, etc.

That's what I'm saying. It would seem that I'm trying to undo the past, or do these things as a way of "knowing the enemy" (as many put it). I'm just this huge language nerrrd, and the study of those two langauges is something that just appeals to me. I like Arabic because it's so close to Hebrew, but in many ways a lot prettier and it might get me a job at some point. I like German because it was something different from the three years of Spanish I had had earlier.

I wouldn't really care that much, it's just that a lot of people jump to the conclusion that I have these saintly motives, and I'm hardly a saint.

Question: Is there a big following of the Conservative Movement in Britain?
zackinbaltimore

It's very small there. Probably 5-10% of the religious Jews.
zackinbaltimore
That's what I'm saying. It would seem that I'm trying to undo the past, or do these things as a way of "knowing the enemy" (as many put it). I'm just this huge language nerrrd, and the study of those two langauges is something that just appeals to me. I like Arabic because it's so close to Hebrew, but in many ways a lot prettier and it might get me a job at some point. I like German because it was something different from the three years of Spanish I had had earlier.

I wouldn't really care that much, it's just that a lot of people jump to the conclusion that I have these saintly motives, and I'm hardly a saint.

Fair enough.

Erm... not sure really. I don't think it's such a big movement here in Britain but there again I've no idea.
Why have JSoc started a new thread? What's wrong with the old one? Did i miss something?
danielf90
Why have JSoc started a new thread? What's wrong with the old one? Did i miss something?

The old one had too many posts. I think when there are over X posts in a thread it gets closed. Because one day I just saw it was closed. And it was like... :eek: :eek: :eek: Hence, the new one. So subscribe to this instead. :biggrin:

How are you btw? :biggrin:
Reply 188
sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvvvvvvua tov :P
Reply 189
Hey guys, I'm back! For a week! Woo. What an amazing Shabs - snow + home :biggrin: Gemz, I'm postponing sending that letter until I find some decent randomness to rival yours...which is gonna be hard...
Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaavvvvvuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaa tooooooov!

bohemian
Hey guys, I'm back! For a week! Woo. What an amazing Shabs - snow + home :biggrin: Gemz, I'm postponing sending that letter until I find some decent randomness to rival yours...which is gonna be hard...

WOOO MILZ! Hi. :biggrin: :cool:

You have snow?! Not fair. *sulks*

Hmph. How long will it be postponed for?! :eek:
Reply 191
gemgems89
The old one had too many posts. I think when there are over X posts in a thread it gets closed. Because one day I just saw it was closed. And it was like... :eek: :eek: :eek: Hence, the new one. So subscribe to this instead. :biggrin:
Threads with 10,000+ posts get closed because of the strain they put on the server :smile:
Dalimyr
Threads with 10,000+ posts get closed because of the strain they put on the server :smile:

That's the one! :wink:
Reply 193
Have u been to this site? Seems interesting :smile:

http://www.jerusalemonline.com/
Yup.

:p: Yeah it is a good site actually. Who needs Jerusalem online when you can go in person though? Bring on the summer. :biggrin: *ahem*
Reply 195
gemgems89
Yup.

:p: Yeah it is a good site actually. Who needs Jerusalem online when you can go in person though? Bring on the summer. :biggrin: *ahem*

For people like me who can't go straight now. Not for you :p: krisko jealousssy. lol !
Reply 196
gemgems89
WOOO MILZ! Hi. :biggrin: :cool:

You have snow?! Not fair. *sulks*

Hmph. How long will it be postponed for?! :eek:

Hehe yeah we had 2 days where it hardly stopped snowing. But now I'm back in your fave place it's all gone :frown: I guess snow stays away from Mancs, just like all civilised human brings do...

I'll post it before school starts again :smile:
Upstate New York got 110 inches of snow in the last week. Luckily it hasn't reached here yet. :tsr2:
bohemian
Hehe yeah we had 2 days where it hardly stopped snowing. But now I'm back in your fave place it's all gone :frown: I guess snow stays away from Mancs, just like all civilised human brings do...

I'll post it before school starts again :smile:

:eek: Watch your mouth. Or. I'll expel you. :eek:
Reply 199
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7XrRyqses5U Watch...tis funny how our conspiracy is now finally official muahahah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending