The Student Room Group

Uni or Full Time Work? 😟

I am in desperate need of some advice!
I have an unconditional offer to study Pharmacology BSc at The University of Bath this September, which is amazing and I am so excited about.
However I have also just started my new permanent full time job working in the NHS, as a Medical Secretary. I am on a decent wage for my age and have guaranteed pay progression each year. It is a really interesting job and I know I can become a manager quite quickly (1 year).

What do I do?! Do I stay in the job and work my way up and not go to Univeristy? Do I go to University to study and then see what jobs/salary I will have then?
I have got used to full time wages now and would need to save a lot to spend to live in uni as well.

Some one help a confused girl out 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you need to have a good think about what you want in the long term. Do you want to be a medical secretary or a pharmacologist? Having a bachelors degree will open up doors to jobs and careers which need one but that isn't to say that you can't have a career and be successful without a degree. My partner was in a similar situation to you when he applied to uni 7 years ago and decided against uni. He is now quite successful in his career and is earning just a little bit less than I am and I have a PhD.
you've created a false dilemma which fails to recognise the possibility of your going to university at, e.g., 23 or 25... or 32. There's no good reason why everyone should go at 18, and I certainly didn't then make as much of it as I would've done 5 years later.
How could you become a medical secretary at such a young age, like the old med chaps find you cool for that secretary job? If they do, than stick with that and go to uni after you have bagged decent sums:" and tell others about how to become that* secretary * :l chillaxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
I think you need to have a good think about what you want in the long term. Do you want to be a medical secretary or a pharmacologist? Having a bachelors degree will open up doors to jobs and careers which need one but that isn't to say that you can't have a career and be successful without a degree. My partner was in a similar situation to you when he applied to uni 7 years ago and decided against uni. He is now quite Isuccessful in his career and is earning just a little bit less than I am and I have a PhD.

I would rather be a pharmacologist by far and I would look at postgrad medicine maybe. I don't want to be a medical secretary for ever of course but there is progression. No one in my family has gone to Univeristy yet and they are all good earners especially my mum as a medical rep but times are changing I guess! Thank you for your comment!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
honestly, i would recommend going to the uni. This job may be progressive and everything but you never know what will happen tomorrow. Having a bachelor degree in this field would definitely open a lot of doors for you. And you'll certainly face a ton of challenges which is fun. However, whatever decision you will make, good luck in future :smile:
Do you know what you want to do with your pharmacology degree? If you are mainly interested in medicine why not resit A levels and apply for medicine while working. I have a pharmacology degree and the job prospects aren't great, I'm lucky to have a job in biotech and the pay is pretty poor and I rarely use my degree.
I would work for a few years and see where it takes you and then reapply to uni in a few years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by feb96
I am in desperate need of some advice!
I have an unconditional offer to study Pharmacology BSc at The University of Bath this September, which is amazing and I am so excited about.
However I have also just started my new permanent full time job working in the NHS, as a Medical Secretary. I am on a decent wage for my age and have guaranteed pay progression each year. It is a really interesting job and I know I can become a manager quite quickly (1 year).

What do I do?! Do I stay in the job and work my way up and not go to Univeristy? Do I go to University to study and then see what jobs/salary I will have then?
I have got used to full time wages now and would need to save a lot to spend to live in uni as well.

Some one help a confused girl out 😔

Posted from TSR Mobile

it sounds like youd have more fun at uni! :smile: plus uni will open so many new/different opportunities :smile: working your way up is still a good plan, but I have a feeling youll get bored and regret not going to uni :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by hassyrocks
How could you become a medical secretary at such a young age, like the old med chaps find you cool for that secretary job? If they do, than stick with that and go to uni after you have bagged decent sums:" and tell others about how to become that* secretary * :l chillaxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess I am lucky with my good grades and good interview skills I don't know how I did it either!😂 There isn't much said in the NHS with regards to age, it's an unsaid stigma!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by baebae
honestly, i would recommend going to the uni. This job may be progressive and everything but you never know what will happen tomorrow. Having a bachelor degree in this field would definitely open a lot of doors for you. And you'll certainly face a ton of challenges which is fun. However, whatever decision you will make, good luck in future :smile:

Thank you very much for your response!
I would love to go to uni it is the decision I am swayed more towards. I always think if I got this job now then if worst comes to worst I can do this job again when I came out of uni if there isn't any jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending