The Student Room Group

Architecture or Interior Design - Distance Learning Options

Hi all,

I've recently been offered the option to start studying with work fully funding whatever course I choose. I am currently working as an admin - full time.

My only option for studying would be online / distance learning / on demand, since I am in full time employment.

I am undecided between Architecture or Interior Design.

- With Architecture there is better scope for employment after finishing studies, however I cannot find anywhere in the UK where you can study online with only a couple of places offering 2-3 days a week at Uni, which is impossible.

- With Interior Design there is an option through Open University, online learning, lasts 3 years, however from a quick look on indeed I can't see many places that are currently employing ANY interior designers right now...

I would be grateful for any advice you might have whether from experience or just opinion.

Thank you!!
(edited 6 months ago)
You’ll struggle with any (good) degree while working full time - even distance learning you should be looking for a degree spread over 5 or 6 years to juggle alongside full time work.

Most interior designers are self employed. Have you looked at the SIBD website?
Architecture is strictly regulated and takes 7 years of full time study or longer to qualify - it’s not available as a distance learning option because of the long and intense nature of the study and pathway to qualification.

It’s not clear from your post where the funding you’ve been offered is from and the restrictions on it. Could you give more details?

Similarly it’s not clear from your post what you hope to use a qualification for? Are you looking to change careers, get promotion, explore your interests, develop your skills etc?
Original post by PQ
You’ll struggle with any (good) degree while working full time - even distance learning you should be looking for a degree spread over 5 or 6 years to juggle alongside full time work.

Most interior designers are self employed. Have you looked at the SIBD website?
Architecture is strictly regulated and takes 7 years of full time study or longer to qualify - it’s not available as a distance learning option because of the long and intense nature of the study and pathway to qualification.

It’s not clear from your post where the funding you’ve been offered is from and the restrictions on it. Could you give more details?

Similarly it’s not clear from your post what you hope to use a qualification for? Are you looking to change careers, get promotion, explore your interests, develop your skills etc?

Hi, thank you for your reply.

My current working place have agreed to pay for my degree, but I can only study online in my own time.

I am hoping after I finish to get a job as a interior designer.

One more question, is it possible to get into architecture having a degree in Interior Design?

Thanks in advance
Original post by florentinaguse
One more question, is it possible to get into architecture having a degree in Interior Design?

No - to become an architect in the UK you need to take a three-year undergrad degree, work a year in a practice, take a two-year masters then further work in practice followed by a final exam. Both unis courses need to be validated by RIBA.

https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation
https://arb.org.uk/student-information/student-handbook/
Original post by florentinaguse
Hi all,

I've recently been offered the option to start studying with work fully funding whatever course I choose. I am currently working as an admin - full time.

My only option for studying would be online / distance learning / on demand, since I am in full time employment.

I am undecided between Architecture or Interior Design.

- With Architecture there is better scope for employment after finishing studies, however I cannot find anywhere in the UK where you can study online with only a couple of places offering 2-3 days a week at Uni, which is impossible.

- With Interior Design there is an option through Open University, online learning, lasts 3 years, however from a quick look on indeed I can't see many places that are currently employing ANY interior designers right now...

I would be grateful for any advice you might have whether from experience or just opinion.

Thank you!!

Interior design will be more fun, architecture is more fufilling. There is a medium, interikr architecture and most design unis will try and offer it. NTU does. 3rd best in the country
Original post by Estellanie
Interior design will be more fun, architecture is more fufilling. There is a medium, interikr architecture and most design unis will try and offer it. NTU does. 3rd best in the country

NTU isn’t one of SBIDs centres of excellence for interior architecture and design.

those are Arts Uni Bournemouth, Coventry, Solent and Teesside

Quick Reply

Latest