The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C2 Mathematics [June 3rd 2015]

Hey Guys, this Thread is for people doing the OCR MEI C2 Mathematics exam on the 3rd of June.

Just discuss general stuff about the exam. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leah97
Hey Guys, this Thread is for people doing the OCR MEI C2 Mathematics exam on the 3rd of June.

Just discuss general stuff about the exam. :biggrin:

how're you finding it?
Reply 2
Original post by corey7695
how're you finding it?

not bad just find sequences and identity's quite hard :s-smilie: how about you?
Hey, I'm taking this too. Almost gone through all of the exam papers now, just been taking my time. Don't know how I feel about the exam since sometimes I feel like I know my stuff, but then there's some exam questions that just really screw me over.

You guys looking forward to it, or?
Reply 4
Original post by RonanWalters
Hey, I'm taking this too. Almost gone through all of the exam papers now, just been taking my time. Don't know how I feel about the exam since sometimes I feel like I know my stuff, but then there's some exam questions that just really screw me over.

You guys looking forward to it, or?

Im scared need a good grade in this to make up for c1 and s1 which i messed up :s-smilie:
Original post by Leah97
Im scared need a good grade in this to make up for c1 and s1 which i messed up :s-smilie:

I wouldn't worry about C2 too much, I think it's harder to make silly mistakes on it compared to C1 (not sure about s1) and you can get awarded quite a few marks for the smaller questions. (:

Is there anything you find particularly hard in c2?
Original post by Leah97
not bad just find sequences and identity's quite hard :s-smilie: how about you?

its ok, log graphs need a bit more work though..
Reply 7
Original post by RonanWalters
I wouldn't worry about C2 too much, I think it's harder to make silly mistakes on it compared to C1 (not sure about s1) and you can get awarded quite a few marks for the smaller questions. (:

Is there anything you find particularly hard in c2?
sequences just about kill me!
Reply 8
What calculators are you guys using for the exam and any that you recommend buying before the exam that would genuinely help, or will I be fine with using a general scientific calculator ?
Original post by SN1_
What calculators are you guys using for the exam and any that you recommend buying before the exam that would genuinely help, or will I be fine with using a general scientific calculator ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am using just a normal casio scientific calculator (fx-83GT PLUS) ^_^
Does anyone have any good resources or advice on how to do these questions? I can never do them :frown:
1432550840769.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Can anyone help me out with the question below? Thanks
Reply 12
Okay... So this is the third OVR MEI C2 thread that's been made....
Reply 13
Original post by Drumz4

for y=3f(x) you times the y value by 3 which makes the coordinates (6,9) for the y=f(4) you times the x value by 1/4 by 6 which makes (1.5,3) :h:
I found C1 harder than S1 (S1 was really good), I probably got a C in C1 which sucks 😑😑 I really hope I can get at least a B on C2 though so I can get a B overall, tbh C2 isn't as bad as C1 it's just about learning formulas and getting used to the questions, as long as the paper is similar to the ones from like 2012 - 2014 I think we should all be alright hopefully! *fingers crossed*!😘 what are you guys' thoughts on the C1 and S1 exams? & how's C2 revision coming along?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drumz4

A general tip for these type of questions...

If the change is outside f(x), the x-coordinate stays the same, the y-coordinate changes. So for (i), instead of x=6, y=3, x=6, y=3*3 to give (6,9)

If the change is inside the brackets, the y-coordinate stays the same, the x-coordinate changes. So for (ii), instead of x=6, y=3, 4x=6, y=3. If 4x=6, x=6/4, i.e. 1.5. So the coordinate becomes (1.5, 3)
Reply 16
@Leah97, @M.C. Math
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it :smile:
Original post by bethknott
Does anyone have any good resources or advice on how to do these questions? I can never do them :frown:
1432550840769.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find the easiest way to answer these questions is by using a cast diagram! Assuming you haven't been taught this then google it there's some good websites telling you how to use them
Original post by bethknott
1432550840769.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi bethknott. How comfortable are you at solving equations of the type
sin x = -0.5 for a given range, e.g. 0 < x < 180 degrees?

Just trying to determine if the difficulty is with finding the answers within the range, and/or just handling the 2x part?

There is a full solution below.
First, I adjust the range of values, then find the first solution, use the CAST diagram to find the second solution, then adjust the values back to the original range.
Original post by M.C. Math
Hi bethknott. How comfortable are you at solving equations of the type
sin x = -0.5 for a given range, e.g. 0 < x < 180 degrees?

Just trying to determine if the difficulty is with finding the answers within the range, and/or just handling the 2x part?

There is a full solution below.
First, I adjust the range of values, then find the first solution, use the CAST diagram to find the second solution, then adjust the values back to the original range.

Thank you! Though I still don't really get it :frown: I think if I could memorise sin cos and tan graphs I'd be alright but I never can and we don't get one in the exam! I've never used that CAST diagram before so I'm not really sure what you did with it :3
It's not so much the 2x I struggled with, it's actually finding the range for all questions like this. Thank you for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending