The Student Room Group

OCR MEI C2 Mathematics [June 3rd 2015]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bethknott
Thank you! Though I still don't really get it :frown: I think if I could memorise sin cos and tan graphs I'd be alright but I never can and we don't get one in the exam! I've never used that CAST diagram before so I'm not really sure what you did with it :3
It's not so much the 2x I struggled with, it's actually finding the range for all questions like this. Thank you for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're welcome! :smile:

As there's only a few days to go, I think it's better to stick with using the graphs to work out the solutions. The tan graph is not an easy one to remember. The sin and cos graphs have the same shape, but sin starts at 0, and cos starts at 1 (you could do sin-1 0 / cos-1 0 on your calculator to get the start values if you found yourself getting mixed up).

It's worth trying to remember the graphs and when you start the exam, write them down immediately (perhaps on an extra sheet of paper) once the exam has started. Then, if you need them, you will have them to hand.
Original post by bethknott
Thank you! Though I still don't really get it :frown: I think if I could memorise sin cos and tan graphs I'd be alright but I never can and we don't get one in the exam! I've never used that CAST diagram before so I'm not really sure what you did with it :3
It's not so much the 2x I struggled with, it's actually finding the range for all questions like this. Thank you for your help :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi bethknott

I've reposted my earlier solution, but using the graph to work out the values (hope it's not too small to read!). The symmetry of the graph can be used to work out the second values, and if additional values were needed, the values repeat every 360 degrees on the sin/cos graphs (one complete cycle).
Original post by M.C. Math
Hi bethknott

I've reposted my earlier solution, but using the graph to work out the values (hope it's not too small to read!). The symmetry of the graph can be used to work out the second values, and if additional values were needed, the values repeat every 360 degrees on the sin/cos graphs (one complete cycle).

Thank you very much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
hi
can someone explain question 6 on June 2012 paper please? i am struggling on log:frown:
Reply 24
can someone explain question 6 on june 2012 paper please?
Anyone know how figure out this question? Can't believe I sat this paper 2 years ago and failed it in the exam, here I am not knowing it still! :O ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432822893.529135.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supergirlxxxxxx
Anyone know how figure out this question? Can't believe I sat this paper 2 years ago and failed it in the exam, here I am not knowing it still! :O ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432822893.529135.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi. I've attached a solution. These kind of questions can be tough!
Hi. I've attached a solution. These kind of questions can be tough!

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it , I shall go through this tonight :smile:) just hope this kind of question doesn't appear on Wednesday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Supergirlxxxxxx
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it , I shall go through this tonight :smile:) just hope this kind of question doesn't appear on Wednesday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!

Just out of interest, do you what exam board was the question from? Thanks.
Good luck!

Just out of interest, do you what exam board was the question from? Thanks.

Haha well we're on an OCR MEI thread so it's that :smile: it's June 2013

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oops; it's been a long day!!

Thanks for the paper reference.
Reply 31
hi could you help me on question 6, june 2012 paper please
Hi guys,
I'm a bit stuck on this question for C2, could any of you help. I just don't get the end bit.

Showing your method clearly, solve the equation

5 sin2q = 5 + cos q for 0 q 360.

So basically, I can solve it till the point where you have to find the remaining values.

This is what I have done, please help guys!

IMG_6585.JPG

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 1997_1997
Hi guys,
I'm a bit stuck on this question for C2, could any of you help. I just don't get the end bit.

So basically, I can solve it till the point where you have to find the remaining values.

This is what I have done, please help guys!

IMG_6585.JPG

If you draw a cos graph, then mark the points where y=-1/5 it should help you to visually see where the solutions are, and where you've got cos(x)=0, x=90 and 270 but not 0 because arccos(0)=1
Can someone please post some sort of tutorial on how to answer those questions where you need to prove something is a decreasing or increasing function and can someone post the solution for the log question in the 2014 paper (I haven't got the link). I don't see how the answer goes to cos(3)
Reply 35
does anyone have any tips for remembering the trig functions of 30, 45, 60, 90, 180 etc?
Reply 36
Original post by lucye7
does anyone have any tips for remembering the trig functions of 30, 45, 60, 90, 180 etc?

Unit triangles.
Original post by AlexParmenter
If you draw a cos graph, then mark the points where y=-1/5 it should help you to visually see where the solutions are, and where you've got cos(x)=0, x=90 and 270 but not 0 because arccos(0)=1

Thank you,

I've drawn the graph, but how do you know if you add 180 to it or minus from 360?
I hope sequences as the last question doesn't come up :frown: worth 13 marks argh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gemma01
hi could you help me on question 6, june 2012 paper please

Hi Gemma01.

Here's a solution to that question. I found it easier to find the equation of the line, then map the log x and log y onto the answer, than doing it direct.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending