The Student Room Group

I don't know which foundation programme to apply for, please help me out!

Hi,

I'm an international student and I want to apply for an engineering foundation programme, when I finish it I'm planning to study Electrical and Electronical engineering. I have 63 out of 100 high scool GPA and I don't know which universities to apply for. I received an offer from;

Newcastle University
University of Exeter
University of Birmingham
City University of London
Queen Mary University of London

But I soon learned out that only Birmingham is successful and reputated at engineering amoung all of them and my IELTS score isn't enough for Birmingham, I got an overall 6.5 but my writing is 5.0 and they want 5.5 in each band.

So, I need to apply for a foundation programme reputated with its engineering, but my GPA is 63 out of 100...

I'm so desperate, help me out!
a) have you considered Southampton? They're very highly considered for engineering, and offer a foundation year to prepare for such. I did the Science Foundation at Southampton and the engineers seemed pretty happy with their course, although I gather it was much more intensely programmed than ours. You could take a year out and try applying there. Also, as a side note, I believe Queen Mary is fairly well regarded at the least in the field of Biomedical Engineering; not sure how other courses rank up specifically however.

b) I'm currently studying Electronic Engineering at Exeter, so I can probably offer some advice on that front:
Exeter is not currently considered an elite engineering school/department. However it is generally well reputed (and this is increasing each year if the administration are to be believed).

The electronic degree is generally more angled towards communications and computer engineering type topics (think digital signal processing, networking and internet technologies, and communications engineering in addition to basic analgoue and digital electronics, microprocessors, and programming) than the more electrically inclined power engineering options. You do a course in EM waves but there it doesn't really deal with engineering for power/energy or device physics so much. If you're more interested in the Physics side you could take an optional module in third year in physics (I did this), and the physics department is pretty good.

Outside of the curriculum itself, there are a number of other opportunities. As mentioned, the physics department is quite good, particularly for exoplanet research in astrophysics and graphene stuff in general physics. The graphene group is cross disciplinary across engineering and physics, and so if you have any interest in this there is scope to work on this side of things in your third year project or as a summer project. Every year there are 3 EPSRC funded summer vacation projects in engineering (physics have about 6 I think). While one might think they're quite fiercely competed for, the year I did mine only two people applied, myself included. So that can be a good option for beefing up your CV and getting paid to do so (I got paid about £2100 over 10 weeks, so not masses but enough to cover your living expenses and probably then some at the least for that period).

One of the benefits of electronic engineering at Exe however is that the degree programme (that is to say, post 1st year where all engineers take the same modules) is fairly small; there are usually only 20~ people doing electronic (less in previous years I gather) so the lectures for 2nd and 3rd year electronic modules tend to be fairly small and so the lecturers, for example, tend to actually know who you are (which can be helpful for 2nd/3rd year and/or summer projects, as well as references after you graduate).
Reply 2
Original post by the artful lounger
a) have you considered Southampton? They're very highly considered for engineering, and offer a foundation year to prepare for such. I did the Science Foundation at Southampton and the engineers seemed pretty happy with their course, although I gather it was much more intensely programmed than ours. You could take a year out and try applying there. Also, as a side note, I believe Queen Mary is fairly well regarded at the least in the field of Biomedical Engineering; not sure how other courses rank up specifically however.

b) I'm currently studying Electronic Engineering at Exeter, so I can probably offer some advice on that front:
Exeter is not currently considered an elite engineering school/department. However it is generally well reputed (and this is increasing each year if the administration are to be believed).

The electronic degree is generally more angled towards communications and computer engineering type topics (think digital signal processing, networking and internet technologies, and communications engineering in addition to basic analgoue and digital electronics, microprocessors, and programming) than the more electrically inclined power engineering options. You do a course in EM waves but there it doesn't really deal with engineering for power/energy or device physics so much. If you're more interested in the Physics side you could take an optional module in third year in physics (I did this), and the physics department is pretty good.

Outside of the curriculum itself, there are a number of other opportunities. As mentioned, the physics department is quite good, particularly for exoplanet research in astrophysics and graphene stuff in general physics. The graphene group is cross disciplinary across engineering and physics, and so if you have any interest in this there is scope to work on this side of things in your third year project or as a summer project. Every year there are 3 EPSRC funded summer vacation projects in engineering (physics have about 6 I think). While one might think they're quite fiercely competed for, the year I did mine only two people applied, myself included. So that can be a good option for beefing up your CV and getting paid to do so (I got paid about £2100 over 10 weeks, so not masses but enough to cover your living expenses and probably then some at the least for that period).

One of the benefits of electronic engineering at Exe however is that the degree programme (that is to say, post 1st year where all engineers take the same modules) is fairly small; there are usually only 20~ people doing electronic (less in previous years I gather) so the lectures for 2nd and 3rd year electronic modules tend to be fairly small and so the lecturers, for example, tend to actually know who you are (which can be helpful for 2nd/3rd year and/or summer projects, as well as references after you graduate).

Southampton is somewhere I would love to study but as an entry requirement they request 80 out of 100 and I only have 63. Would there be a chance that I would get accepted if I apply?

Electrics is my priority, the reason I want electrics and electronics is that its a global subject. I'm more into electrics and energy. Telecommunication and programming isn't my field of interest at the moment.

I'm just wondering that should I apply for southampton, would I have a chance?
Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.
Reply 3
Hey there ,
I got an offer to study at Birmingham in September and I accepted it ! Hopefully, you can resolve your issues by doing an IGCSE in english 1st langauge and get a B or above or resit the IELTS.
Good luck
While you could move more towards electrical and energy engineering through a postgrad masters (which you'd need to do if you did the BEng rather than MEng programme to fulfil your CEng requirements anyway), from the sounds of it Exeter may not be the best choice, although as commented there is flexibility.

As for whether Southampton would accept you, I can't really say. I do know their engineering foundation is a fair bit more competitive than the science one, so it may be harder. I would recommend contacting the relevant admissions offices and/or programme directors to discuss whether your qualifications would be suitable under any circumstances. For example, if you have particularly strong maths/science scores but lower scores in other areas they may be willing to offer you a place. Since I gather that you would need to take a gap year and reapply if you wanted to go this route, it may be worth considering looking into taking e.g. AS maths and/or further maths/physics, as if you're able to demonstrate good marks in those areas (realistically you'd proabably need As or very high Bs) they may be more willing to bend the entrance requirements a bit.

Definitely send them an email, or possibly try calling if there is a number provided to discuss it with them however. They may well say no, so it's best to check before making any firm decisions on the matter!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending