The Student Room Group

cambridge foundation year?

hi, i just found out that cambridge offers a foundation year for arts and humanities students who have experienced disruption to their education. i have mitigating circumstances for my gcses that will be mentioned in my ucas reference (777665554) , however i have A*A*AA predicteds for a levels, have a fair amount of impressive stuff to my name (finalist award in a law essay competition, co-chair of the debate society, have a genuine interest in a topic in law and have read too much about it) and wish to study law at university. i have checked the eligibility criteria and i seem to fit into all categories. i'm just really confused as to whether i should apply for the foundation year or apply regularly.

as for anyone who has been offered a place on the foundation year scheme, could you kindly answer these questions:
1)were your predicted grades at/above the entry requirements for your chosen course
2)did you have mitigating circumstances at gcses that were recognised (you don't have to tell me what it is if you are uncomfortable)
3)how did you find the admissions assessment? how hard would you say it is?
4)how did you find the interviews? did you get interviewed by a certain college or more generally?
5)do you think i should apply for the foundation year or apply regularly?

thank you, and i wish to hear from you soon
(edited 1 year ago)
boost!
Original post by myanchovies
boost!

Are you trying to fly off or something?

Regardless, someone will, eventually, answer your post, so you don't need to 'boost' it (usually 'bump' is used lol).
boost!

The term is "bump" on forums, and you don't need to and should not bump your post for the first 24 hours, and thereafter not more than once every 12 hours unless the post is no longer on the front page of the forum you posted it in - which I assure you it was.

That aside, I'm pretty sure the foundation year is brand new and has so far run for only one year at King's (but is being expanded to other colleges I think now) so there probably aren't that many people who can answer you that are current students on the programme.

Note you should be 100% certain you meet the criteria as it's very likely, as with other widening participation programmes (like medicine foundation years) that if you do not you will be automatically rejected. You need to be certain you meet the specific criteria listed, not that you generally seem to fit the bill.

In any case, your GCSEs are good, Cambridge don't put that much emphasis on them anyway, and you have excellent predicted grades and some relevant supercurricular activities for your chosen subject by the look of it. So I would probably suggest just applying directly to the main course because I don't think you'll probably get that much out of the foundation year by the look of it - you're already working at the level they expect you to be, so you don't really need an extra year of support (and you might find it quite dull or slow!).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by gtty123
Are you trying to fly off or something?

Regardless, someone will, eventually, answer your post, so you don't need to 'boost' it (usually 'bump' is used lol).

thanks for letting me know lol
Original post by artful_lounger
The term is "bump" on forums, and you don't need to and should not bump your post for the first 24 hours, and thereafter not more than once every 12 hours unless the post is no longer on the front page of the forum you posted it in - which I assure you it was.

That aside, I'm pretty sure the foundation year is brand new and has so far run for only one year at King's (but is being expanded to other colleges I think now) so there probably aren't that many people who can answer you that are current students on the programme.

Note you should be 100% certain you meet the criteria as it's very likely, as with other widening participation programmes (like medicine foundation years) that if you do not you will be automatically rejected. You need to be certain you meet the specific criteria listed, not that you generally seem to fit the bill.

In any case, your GCSEs are good, Cambridge don't put that much emphasis on them anyway, and you have excellent predicted grades and some relevant supercurricular activities for your chosen subject by the look of it. So I would probably suggest just applying directly to the main course because I don't think you'll probably get that much out of the foundation year by the look of it - you're already working at the level they expect you to be, so you don't really need an extra year of support (and you might find it quite dull or slow!).

thanks for letting me know about the "bump" thing my bad lol.

looking back i shouldn't have written seem, as i went back and checked it some more. i definitely fit the eligibility requirements and would never apply to a widening participation programme without fully checking the eligibility criteria.

but thank you for actually giving me your opinion on my grades as that's something i was especially nervous about - i see people with all A*s getting flat out rejected. i get told all the time that every applicant is unique and sometimes people with "weaker" applications on paper (less A*s, "weak" GCSEs) end up getting in over the textbook A* all 9s students as they shine through with amazing interviews and admissions tests, but i honestly can't help but think they're lying to me. and yes i was a bit worried about having to spend yet another year waiting to do what i want as i already retook year 12 for my sanity.
thanks for letting me know about the "bump" thing my bad lol.

looking back i shouldn't have written seem, as i went back and checked it some more. i definitely fit the eligibility requirements and would never apply to a widening participation programme without fully checking the eligibility criteria.

but thank you for actually giving me your opinion on my grades as that's something i was especially nervous about - i see people with all A*s getting flat out rejected. i get told all the time that every applicant is unique and sometimes people with "weaker" applications on paper (less A*s, "weak" GCSEs) end up getting in over the textbook A* all 9s students as they shine through with amazing interviews and admissions tests, but i honestly can't help but think they're lying to me. and yes i was a bit worried about having to spend yet another year waiting to do what i want as i already retook year 12 for my sanity.

Grades are a necessary but not sufficient condition for admission at Cambridge - the interviews and admissions tests are critical in actually getting an offer. Once you have the offer, getting the grades is the easy part it seems (except for maths due to STEP)!
(edited 1 year ago)

this isn't quite right - the foundation year will admit it's first students this year, at 10 colleges, and so has run it's first admissions round this year. from what I know of the scheme, if your predictions are at the level of admission for their normal degrees, which yours are at A*A*AA, you wouldn't normally be considered for the foundation year, which is designed for people whose attainment has been limited by their circumstances to the point where they would not be prepared for a normal Cambridge degree without the foundation year. if you want a more authoritative answer, you should email the foundation year team [email protected] to discuss the prospects of your application.
Original post by CambPhilosophy
this isn't quite right - the foundation year will admit it's first students this year, at 10 colleges, and so has run it's first admissions round this year. from what I know of the scheme, if your predictions are at the level of admission for their normal degrees, which yours are at A*A*AA, you wouldn't normally be considered for the foundation year, which is designed for people whose attainment has been limited by their circumstances to the point where they would not be prepared for a normal Cambridge degree without the foundation year. if you want a more authoritative answer, you should email the foundation year team [email protected] to discuss the prospects of your application.

I thought that it was piloted last year at King's - but maybe not! I did know it was in its infancy though, but good to know there won't be any current or former students yet for reference :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
I thought that it was piloted last year at King's - but maybe not! I did know it was in its infancy though, but good to know there won't be any current or former students yet for reference :smile:

yeah it definitely wasn't! I talked a lot with my tutor who is the admissions tutor for Cambridge and had been a lead on the foundation year so I'm pretty confident! the first students will arrive this year at the ten colleges participating :smile:
Original post by CambPhilosophy

thank you for letting me know, that was something i was also thinking about as my sister said other foundation years usually have a cap on the grades you can apply with, so people with lower predicted grades will not be at a disadvantage. i think cambridge may not explicitly state a cap, however will apply a somewhat similar principle in the admissions process.
hi, i just found out that cambridge offers a foundation year for arts and humanities students who have experienced disruption to their education. i have mitigating circumstances for my gcses that will be mentioned in my ucas reference (777665554) , however i have A*A*AA predicteds for a levels, have a fair amount of impressive stuff to my name (finalist award in a law essay competition, co-chair of the debate society, have a genuine interest in a topic in law and have read too much about it) and wish to study law at university. i have checked the eligibility criteria and i seem to fit into all categories. i'm just really confused as to whether i should apply for the foundation year or apply regularly.

as for anyone who has been offered a place on the foundation year scheme, could you kindly answer these questions:
1)were your predicted grades at/above the entry requirements for your chosen course
2)did you have mitigating circumstances at gcses that were recognised (you don't have to tell me what it is if you are uncomfortable)
3)how did you find the admissions assessment? how hard would you say it is?
4)how did you find the interviews? did you get interviewed by a certain college or more generally?
5)do you think i should apply for the foundation year or apply regularly?
thank you, and i wish to hear from you soon

i hope this isn't too late but i just saw this post and i'd like to answer it !! i have an offer for the fy at cambridge and will be starting this october.

1. my predicted grades were slightly over the entry requirements and so was many of the people i've met who were at the offer holder event however there were some people with slightly lower grades than the requirement.
2. yes, the cambridge fy team are so so so understanding and they did recognise my exenuating circumstances, if you see their website it does list 3 categories in which you have to be eligible for atleast 2 of these groups. they have a very informative youtube video outlining this.
3. the admissions assesment was very creative but quite intellectually stimulating if that makes sense, the questions were not mind-boggling difficult however this means your answer needed to be out of the box and amazingly complex.
4. the interviews were hosted by such kind and nice professors who are experts in their field, not by a college as your application will be accepted/rejected by the fy team then forwarded to your colleges. i would not say at all that the interviews were easier than the regular undergrad ones but definetly very very different and you choose the topics for the interview and then will be put on the spot to throughly exam and analyse a peice of work you have not ever seen with the professors as you would so in a cambridge tutorial.
5. if you have those set of grades and all of that work experience, then i would suggest the regular entry as this fy shouldn't really be an easy gateway to cambridge but an actual need since you cannot enter through the regular undergrad. i'm not saying this is what your trying to do at all, however the general rule of thumb is that if you have all A*''s then this fy is not catered for you.

also, this is the first year the cambridge fy has been started and it has over 10 colleges taking part with 5 students each, and my future classmates and i will start in a few weeks.

lastly, the fy team are so helpful and fast with answers so if anything please do email them !!

wishing you the best of luck !!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by annalise.m
i hope this isn't too late but i just saw this post and i'd like to answer it !! i have an offer for the fy at cambridge and will be starting this october.

1. my predicted grades were slightly over the entry requirements and so was many of the people i've met who were at the offer holder event however there were some people with slightly lower grades than the requirement.
2. yes, the cambridge fy team are so so so understanding and they did recognise my exenuating circumstances, if you see their website it does list 3 categories in which you have to be eligible for atleast 2 of these groups. they have a very informative youtube video outlining this.
3. the admissions assesment was very creative but quite intellectually stimulating if that makes sense, the questions were not mind-boggling difficult however this means your answer needed to be out of the box and amazingly complex.
4. the interviews were hosted by such kind and nice professors who are experts in their field, not by a college as your application will be accepted/rejected by the fy team then forwarded to your colleges. i would not say at all that the interviews were easier than the regular undergrad ones but definetly very very different and you choose the topics for the interview and then will be put on the spot to throughly exam and analyse a peice of work you have not ever seen with the professors as you would so in a cambridge tutorial.
5. if you have those set of grades and all of that work experience, then i would suggest the regular entry as this fy shouldn't really be an easy gateway to cambridge but an actual need since you cannot enter through the regular undergrad. i'm not saying this is what your trying to do at all, however the general rule of thumb is that if you have all A*''s then this fy is not catered for you.

also, this is the first year the cambridge fy has been started and it has over 10 colleges taking part with 5 students each, and my future classmates and i will start in a few weeks.

lastly, the fy team are so helpful and fast with answers so if anything please do email them !!

update: i've dropped maths and i never really had an A* prediction for it, i was only aiming for one. for the rest, i'm left with an A*AA prediction and looking to improve one grade with mocks coming soon for me. i think it's still fine to apply but no longer doing maths means i'm left with just passing the standard offer.
i hope the foundation year is going well for you!!

when did invitations to interview come out last year?
also, what were the interviews like?

im thinking of applying to the fy, i was wondering how exactly you would prove you meet the eligibility criteria and what you did?

Hope the foundation year is going well!
Reply 15
Original post by Anonymous
im thinking of applying to the fy, i was wondering how exactly you would prove you meet the eligibility criteria and what you did?

Hope the foundation year is going well!

It depends on what you need to evidence. The details are all on the website https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/foundation-year#eligibility

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending