The Student Room Group

Can't Decide between my Foundation Year Choices

Hi everyone!

I want to pursue a degree in BSc Econs or Finance, and I received 2 offers for foundation which I need (I flunked my A's) . One is from INTO Manchester and the other from Royal Holloway Uni. I'm having an issue choosing one because both have their pros and cons.

1) Royal Holloway
- Its a university, so I will have a "guaranteed" spot in RHUL
-The programme is accepted by UCL/LSE
but, there isnt much info about it, most uni's might not recognise it

2) INTO Manchester
-Broader UCAS options thanks to NCUK
-more recognised apparently (not too sure, website and the student rec officer keep telling me this)
but I can't go to UCL and other "better" unis

As for foundations in other unis, because I did A Levels, I got rejected from some programmes, and these are the 2 that accepted me.

All in all, I can't really decide. I've given myself a deadline, so I'm here to get some advice! Some background about me: I like trading, so I wanted to pursue a degree in Econs, and I want to go into the Finance sector, mainly targeting jobs in analysis and trading (which I know is very hard), so any advice will be appreciated! Also if any current students can tell me about the schools that would help me out a ton! Thank you in advance!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
It's not a gimme that because you have secured a foundation place at a uni you will automatically be allowed to continue onto their degree programme. Most unis set a high threshold to make the transfer - e.g. getting 60% on every module in your foundation year and not failing any of the foundation year modules.

Use the 'freedom of information' route to ask UCL and LSE how many students they took from the foundation route onto their econ degree programmes - I have doubts that it was many (if any). These are elite universities asking for the majority of GCSEs at 7 or above and A*AA at A level. Indeed A*AA is just an indicator, in a lot of cases the offer is higher - please the quote from the LSE website:

"Competition for places at the School is high. This means that even if you are predicted or if you achieve the grades that meet our usual standard offer, this will not guarantee you an offer of admission. Usual standard offers are intended only as a guide, and in some cases applicants will be asked for grades which differ from this."

My point is that if you have BBB at A level and are entering a foundation year, you may need to be realistic about your chances of getting a place at UCL or LSE.

The same can be said for the investment banks. They have students from the best unis in the UK applying and the first filter is your A-level grades. Sorry to burst your bubble
Reply 2
Original post by mike23mike
It's not a gimme that because you have secured a foundation place at a uni you will automatically be allowed to continue onto their degree programme. Most unis set a high threshold to make the transfer - e.g. getting 60% on every module in your foundation year and not failing any of the foundation year modules.

Use the 'freedom of information' route to ask UCL and LSE how many students they took from the foundation route onto their econ degree programmes - I have doubts that it was many (if any). These are elite universities asking for the majority of GCSEs at 7 or above and A*AA at A level. Indeed A*AA is just an indicator, in a lot of cases the offer is higher - please the quote from the LSE website:

"Competition for places at the School is high. This means that even if you are predicted or if you achieve the grades that meet our usual standard offer, this will not guarantee you an offer of admission. Usual standard offers are intended only as a guide, and in some cases applicants will be asked for grades which differ from this."

My point is that if you have BBB at A level and are entering a foundation year, you may need to be realistic about your chances of getting a place at UCL or LSE.

The same can be said for the investment banks. They have students from the best unis in the UK applying and the first filter is your A-level grades. Sorry to burst your bubble

yep I understand! for UCL they just said "yes we accept this FND programme" and I need to get a minimum of 70% per module. LSE hit me with "we accept any foundation programme by a UK institution and I'll need to sit for a entrance exam". They said they cant give exact numbers since they don't know, which is why I'm here hahah. and yea, investment banking is impossible for me to get into unfortunately, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks for your input!
Reply 3
Original post by timemachine420
yep I understand! for UCL they just said "yes we accept this FND programme" and I need to get a minimum of 70% per module. LSE hit me with "we accept any foundation programme by a UK institution and I'll need to sit for a entrance exam". They said they cant give exact numbers since they don't know, which is why I'm here hahah. and yea, investment banking is impossible for me to get into unfortunately, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Thanks for your input!

Great, at least you are entering this with your eyes open - getting 70% and above on all modules is a huge ask. Good luck.
Yeah if you for sure think you have a chance at LSE and UCL (bear in mind your a-level/gcse grades too) then go for holloway. if not its better not to limit yourself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending