The Student Room Group

GCSE French Help

Has anyone got any good websites or resources for learning GCSE French, i know almost zero so stuff for beginners as well.
Original post by MaccaWare
Has anyone got any good websites or resources for learning GCSE French, i know almost zero so stuff for beginners as well.

For Grammar, you should use Frenchabout and it should be in your textbook (probably at the back) .

For Vocab, you should use your textbook but other than that I am not sure.

Have you started GCSE French or are you in Year 9 (year before GCSEs)?
Reply 2
have a look at frenchspanishonline dot com it is free with many audio files.
Languages Online

Skips :smile:
Having just done my French GCSE I would suggest using any French textbook (they're literally life savers) especially the ones which follow your examboard e,g, I used CGP AQA - French. Ask your French teacher/head of MFL if your school has a linguascope account because you can start from beginner and work your way up to intermediate. It has games, vocab lists etc. and makes is an engaging way to learn. I used it for German (I didn't know any German so I was a beginner) as well as French and it helps loads! Trust me. Also can I suggest listening to French music it improves your listening and speaking skills and helps your recognition for words. Start off with songs which you know already/like and you can usually find the lyrics or "paroles" on YouTube. I did this with the film Hunchback of Notredame and can now sing God help the outcasts *albeit with lyrics but still:smile:* en français amongst various other French songs!!! There were some vocab (easy&difficult) but I cant find them @ the moment but will put them up later. Also when you get better start 2 look up past papers they help loads & look at the mark scheme!!(After you've actually done the test). Sorry 4 the long response what can I say but: J'adore le français!!
My go-to app/website was Memrise, it even has exam board specific vocab courses with all the necessary words split into each section (e.g. Media, Relationships, Holidays). Wasn't taxing at all and i learnt a huge amount of new vocab in the space of a month or two
Reply 6
Original post by sunshinehss
Also can I suggest listening to French music it improves your listening and speaking skills and helps your recognition for words. Start off with songs which you know already/like and you can usually find the lyrics or "paroles" on YouTube.

Can you recommend some songs?
Stromae - Alors on danse

Skips :smile:
linguascope is a pretty good website that you could use!
Reply 9
Going to the library and picking up some kids books in French was something I found helped my reading skills and improved my vocab. They were never anything too complicated, but it just helped me get used to the language and sentence structure in a way that I found a bit more interesting than working from text books alone.

The best thing I found for learning vocab was picking 10-15 words from the vocab list to learn each day and putting them in a jam jar to pull out and test myself. As others have said your text book will have all the relevant vocab in it, but I also found the Edexcel vocab list really useful as it meant I could print it out and cut up as I wished (although it's um...kinda long :P )

http://www.gosford-hill.oxon.sch.uk/past-exam-papers/french.pdf
I have attached some grammar rules you will need to use in GCSE French. If you're doing IGCSE, you MUST memorize them for your writing task. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

There a lot of resources and advice I have put up on this website:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3360615&page=2

However, if you haven't done French before I would memorize some basic vocab before trying to learn any of the resources on it.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending