The Student Room Group

Have no clue? ;-;

Hi,
So, apparently after half term (which is this week) my school picks their options. I'm in year 10, but I've moved schools, and.. yeah. I started on the 1st of May. c:
I pretty much have no clue what to pick. The options may be different for September, but eh, they probably won't be too different. There's things like geography.. Duke of Edinburgh.. BTEC PE.. ICT.. Probably things you'd expect in your average mainstream school (I'm in special provision). I have no interest in much at all, and I'm sort of lost. I get halfway through something, and then my attention seems to drift.. and I can't concentrate on much, so uh, no long essay based options please.
Do any of you guys have any ideas? I mean.. From what I've saw on some people's threads.. They're all pretty smart. Thanks :smile:
Are you not a very academic person? I'd suggest things like Drama and PE if that's the case, where practical coursework makes up a high percentage of the overall GCSE.

What are you thinking of doing when you're older?
Pick German gcse
Original post by httpaisha
Are you not a very academic person? I'd suggest things like Drama and PE if that's the case, where practical coursework makes up a high percentage of the overall GCSE.

What are you thinking of doing when you're older?

Nope, I'm not a very academic person! And I don't have much of a clue what I want to do in the future. Thanks for the suggestions, the advice and also the reply to my question though! :smile:
Original post by selena0101
Pick German gcse

German?!?! Seems daunting! Thanks for the suggestion, the advice and also the reply to my question, though! :smile:
Do D of E, it's probably seen as more valuable to employers than GCSEs and will have so many different things you shouldn't get too bored

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
In my opinion you shouldn't choose Geography as a GCSE. I've done it and I found it really hard, and the fact that I disliked it made me give up really easily. Of course if you're interested in it you should pick it but that's my opinion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I was picking my choices, I just randomly selected some subjects. Even though GCSEs seem like the most important thing in your life at the time, once you get to A levels you'll realize that they're really not. No one expects you to know what you want to do in the future so just pick subjects that you think might interest you.
Personally I chose Geography, History and Music. The courses are different in all schools though, and the specifications are changing anyway, so even though I enjoyed these subjects, you might not :smile:
Original post by Fleming1928
When I was picking my choices, I just randomly selected some subjects. Even though GCSEs seem like the most important thing in your life at the time, once you get to A levels you'll realize that they're really not. No one expects you to know what you want to do in the future so just pick subjects that you think might interest you.
Personally I chose Geography, History and Music. The courses are different in all schools though, and the specifications are changing anyway, so even though I enjoyed these subjects, you might not :smile:

Yeah, I agree with that. But for some A level courses you need a specific gcse grade, so they are important. Thanks for the advice, the information and also the reply to my question. :smile:
Reply 9
Be careful before picking things like Drama GCSE- it's 40% written (for AQA at least) and it's a lot more academic than people think. Obviously if you have a passion for it then take it but if you're taking it as a 'doss' or non- academic subject you'll probably not end up doing too well. BTEC drama is a lot different (or so I've heard) with it mostly or fully being practical. Think about what you a.Enjoy and b.Are good at- don't take a subject for a teacher, but because you want to! Maybe think into the future a little and ask yourself what you may like to go into- although gcse options often don't prevent you from pursuing A Levels even if you didn't take them at GCSE :smile:
Awh thanks for the advice, the information and the reply to my message. Yeah, I'll think about what I enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest