The Student Room Group

AQA AS Computing - COMP2 - June 3rd 2015 - Exam Discussion Thread

Hey, we have lots of COMP1 discussions but I couldn't find a COMP2 thread (if there is then I don't it's been posted on in weeks). We have 9 days to go! If anyone has any questions then feel free to ask and I'll try to answer!

I'll add useful posts and links below:
- AQA Wikibooks
- COMP2 Notes (Blogspot)

Question Predictions:
- Previous Hardware And Possible Hardware - Principle Of Operation

Machine Level Architecture:
- Simplifying Boolean Equations

Computer Systems:
- Pros And Cons Of Compilers And Interpreters
- List Of Hardware
- Previous Hardware And Possible Hardware - Principle Of Operation

The Internet:
- Web Page Design
- DNS And Internet Registry

Legal And Ethical Issues:
- Law Notes
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Let's start this schnitzel off with getting people's prediction for questions:
Original post by Normal.Person
Let's start this schnitzel off with getting people's prediction for questions:

COMP2? It could be anything. I guess they will ask us how a hardware device works (for 4 or 6 marks), as they almost always do. I have no idea.
Anyone got any idea of the Hardware this year?
Reply 4
I can't get my head around simplifying boolean expressions, is there an easy way to do it? They have come up in the last two papers so AQA love them
Original post by arjunlotay
Anyone got any idea of the Hardware this year?

What do you mean?

Original post by ItsIzzy
I can't get my head around simplifying boolean expressions, is there an easy way to do it? They have come up in the last two papers so AQA love them

People who have done Electronics A-Level will find this so easy. One thing you can do is say the equation to yourself.
For example:
B . (A + A^)
Would be:
(A OR NOT A) AND B
And when you see that you should logically think, A OR NOT A is always true. So you are left with B AND TRUE. Then if you think logically about that the answer will just be B. Not sure if that made any sense to you, but it is a good way to do it.

-----

There are also a load of small rules you can remember:
A . A^ = 0
A + A^ = 1
A . 0 = 0
A . 1 = A
A + 0 = A
A + 1 = 1

So for the equation you used above you could replace the A + A^ with 1, leaving you with:
B . 1, but then you can replace that with just B using those rules.

----

Also remember De Morgans theorem. Make a bar and change the sign, or break the bar and change the sign. That's a simple way to remember it.

-----

Hopefully that made sense, if not just ask. Keep practicing and you will get it eventually.
Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of interpreters and compilers? Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by CheetahCurtis
What do you mean?

People who have done Electronics A-Level will find this so easy. One thing you can do is say the equation to yourself.
For example:
B . (A + A^)
Would be:
(A OR NOT A) AND B
And when you see that you should logically think, A OR NOT A is always true. So you are left with B AND TRUE. Then if you think logically about that the answer will just be B. Not sure if that made any sense to you, but it is a good way to do it.

-----

There are also a load of small rules you can remember:
A . A^ = 0
A + A^ = 1
A . 0 = 0
A . 1 = A
A + 0 = A
A + 1 = 1

So for the equation you used above you could replace the A + A^ with 1, leaving you with:
B . 1, but then you can replace that with just B using those rules.

----

Also remember De Morgans theorem. Make a bar and change the sign, or break the bar and change the sign. That's a simple way to remember it.

-----

Hopefully that made sense, if not just ask. Keep practicing and you will get it eventually.

Thank you! That was very useful
Original post by jamesgates1
Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of interpreters and compilers? Thanks!

No offence, but did you even bother to look for an answer yourself. The answer can be found in a textbook or on the internet pretty quickly, and it's not complicated.

Pro's of using a compiler for a program:
- No need to distribute the source code (and the user wont need a compiler)
- Program runs faster than an interpreted one

Pro's of using an interpreter for a program:
- Program can be executed immediately (no waiting for it to compile)
- Helpful for finding errors when building the program, instead of the program crashing
No offence, but did you even bother to look for an answer yourself. The answer can be found in a textbook or on the internet pretty quickly, and it's not complicated.

Pro's of using a compiler for a program:
- No need to distribute the source code (and the user wont need a compiler)
- Program runs faster than an interpreted one

Pro's of using an interpreter for a program:
- Program can be executed immediately (no waiting for it to compile)
- Helpful for finding errors when building the program, instead of the program crashing

Thanks. I had looked at wikibooks first and also do not prefer the book.
Original post by jamesgates1
Thanks. I had looked at wikibooks first and also do not prefer the book.

There are even more points on the wikibook :smile:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level_Computing/AQA/Computer_Components,_The_Stored_Program_Concept_and_the_Internet/Fundamentals_of_Computer_Systems/Types_of_program_translator
Any idea for which hardware device they will ask us the principles of operation of ? I assume they wont be repeating previous papers but I suppose that they could.
Original post by ItsIzzy

I take a very math-y approach to it.

E.g. B.A^ + B.A, You see a "common factor" B so take out B leaving (A^ + A) whereby one can easily guess that if a is 0, then 1 OR 0 gives 1 and if A is 1, 0 OR 1 gives 1 hence B.1 = B
(Obviously that's one of many examples, like expanding a factorised polynomial)

EDIT (cuz I got bored): if it's (A^ + B) . (A.B^)^ = (De Morganise:smile: (A^ + B) . (A^ + B)
Multiply out brackets: A^.A^ + B.A^ + A^.B + B.B = A^ + A^.B + B = A^.(1 + B) + B = A^ + B
(edited 8 years ago)
I take a very math-y approach to it.

E.g. B.A^ + B.A, You see a "common factor" B so take out B leaving (A^ + A) whereby one can easily guess that if a is 0, then 1 OR 0 gives 1 and if A is 1, 0 OR 1 gives 1 hence B.1 = B
(Obviously that's one of many examples, like expanding a factorised polynomial)

I'd probably do similar for that question.

And if you get confused, you can always draw a truth table for the question and your answer to compare the results.

If anyone doesn't understand simplifying then it might be worth looking at karnaugh maps:
http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Projects/Labview/minimisation/karrules.html
But you aren't expected to know them in the exam and if the question asks for your working then you probably wont get the marks, but it always gives you the right answer. For the simple equations in AS computing, you don't really need it.
I'd probably do similar for that question.

And if you get confused, you can always draw a truth table for the question and your answer to compare the results.

Make sure you write some bull sheiz for the working out as some questions reject truth tables as working out
I think you guys should expect either a Fetch-Execute Cycle (long marker) or a comparison between the Internet, Intranet and WWW (long marker).
Also, generations of programming languages hasn't come up in a while. Make sure you revise that
ALERT:

They will ask like a 1 marker on logic errors. Why? (I'm not even sure if it's called a logic error, don't judge).
The following:

Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 14.19.26.jpg

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
ALERT:

They will ask like a 1 marker on logic errors. Why? (I'm not even sure if it's called a logic error, don't judge).
The following:

Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 14.19.26.jpg

Spoiler

Mac + C# = :confused:
And this is the COMP2 thread, you want COMP1 :smile:
Reply 19
Does anyone have any good revision materials? (other than wikibooks)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending