The Student Room Group

Would you send your children to a school as diverse as this?

Scroll to see replies

Just because these children (well, most of them) are originally from eastern world and speak Urdu, Hindi and other languages, doesn't mean you can call it diverse.
Fix your mentality, noob.*
Original post by Guy Secretan
it says in the article that the exam performance is average

http://www.clerktogovernors.co.uk/ofsted/ofsted-grade-descriptors-quality-of-teaching-in-the-school/

Outstanding (1)

Much teaching over time in all key stages and most subjects is outstanding and never less than consistently good. As a result, almost all pupils currently on roll in the school, including disabled pupils, those who have special educational needs, disadvantaged pupils and the most able, are making sustained progress that leads to outstanding achievement.

All teachers have consistently high expectations of all pupils. They plan and teach lessons that enable pupils to learn exceptionally well across the curriculum.

Teachers systematically and effectively check pupils’ understanding throughout lessons, anticipating where they may need to intervene and doing so with notable impact on the quality of learning.

The teaching of reading, writing, communication and mathematics is highly effective and cohesively planned and implemented across the curriculum.

Teachers and other adults authoritatively impart knowledge to ensure that pupils are engaged in learning and generate high levels of commitment to learning across the school.

Consistently high quality marking and constructive feedback from teachers ensure that pupils make significant and sustained gains in their learning.

Teachers use well-judged teaching strategies, including setting appropriate homework that, together with clearly directed and timely support and intervention, match pupils’ needs accurately.

Exam performance may be 'broadly average', but given this is the list of criteria a school needs to meet in order to be considered outstanding, I don't see any reason why I'd not want to send my kids there.
No.
Reply 23
Most of the languages mentioned all have different alphabets, characters and dialects so trying to discredit the fact that the children know multiple languages(not dialects) is pretty pathetic, considering they're all like 12 years old too.
Its like telling a french kid that him knowing English and French isnt impressive since French and English originate from the same language.
If you've actually made an effort to learn another language you'd realize how different languages are and how difficult it must be for staff to teach children a language that has different characters than their 1st language.
OFSTED reports are also formed by many more factors that the ability to teach children English when English isn't their first language. Which is an impressive feat (especially on such a large scale) in itself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well if my kids were fluent in English I probably wouldn't send them to a school designed for those learning it as their 2nd language. Time spent helping everyone else with english wouldn't be so useful for native speaking kids and bored kids hate school! If they had english coaching outside lessons I wouldn't mind it though, I mean that's how all international schools work and they do fantastically.
Reply 25
Original post by SirMilkSheikh
Diverse? I'm betting that 90% of the school's kids are South Asian. Thats not exactly diverse.

where are you gettimg this idea from?
Original post by Bill_Gates
Aw just clicked on the article, the kids are really cute.

Ethnic minorities are an asset to this country! No wonder London, Birmingham is thriving. And the racist working classes are falling behind, enjoy your benefit cuts July 8th Haha

yesyesyesyesyes!
thankyou
I would rather my children go to a more diverse school where they'll meet people of different backgrounds and cultures and be able to learn other languages. I think more schools should be like this.
I don't think I would be sending my children, to an inner city school in Birmingham.

I've been to that city, nobody there speaks English, especially not the White people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kkboyk
where are you gettimg this idea from?

The Year 6 class shown in the source is entirely South Asian.

94.3 per cent of the school's 859 pupils speaking an additional tongue, and being in an area last year plagued by the 'Trojan Horse' extremism plot

The number of South Asians in Birmingham are rapidly increasing.

Put two and two together, and it isn't hard to figure out.
It's a school designed for children who need to learn english... :dontknow:
OP sounds terrified.
Original post by yo radical one
I don't think I would be sending my children, to an inner city school in Birmingham.

I've been to that city, nobody there speaks English, especially not the White people.

I'm a brummie, I can vouch for this. White people are especially bad. All mumbling and stuff, terrible accents. We're awful.

:rolleyes:
Original post by mogwai98
I'm a brummie, I can vouch for this. White people are especially bad. All mumbling and stuff, terrible accents. We're awful.

:rolleyes:

Just saying what I'm thinking...

But yeah to be honest.
Original post by yo radical one
Just saying what I'm thinking...

But yeah to be honest.

I'm certain you know enough people from the area to make an accurate judgement.

There are people all over who don't speak properly...
The school is rated as outstanding by Ofsted so, yes, I'd send my children there.

How is this a news story?

I agree with your point and don't want to offend, but Ofsted isn't everything. In fact some outstanding schools are actually kinda sh*t where as 'satisfactory' can be very good...
Reply 36
The school is rated as outstanding by Ofsted so, yes, I'd send my children there.

How is this a news story?

This is the Daily Mail we're talking about remember, at least the article highlights the success of the school being rated as outstanding, although being the DM, I can't imagine their true intentions in publishing the article are anything but the usual tactics of trying to shock and anger the ignorant. Yet I see no more than a successful school with students that will probably go on to do very well and contribute to society and like one or two of the comments (that were of course negatively rated), how many native British children can speak more than one language, not many!
I wouldn't send any of my kids to such a school and yes its because I'm racist.

However it wouldn't be surprising me if that school outperformed many other schools that isn't anywhere near as diverse. Many may be children of 1st gen immigrants and statistically these pupils get pushed the hardest to perform well in school.
Original post by Guy Secretan
They all look like gumps.

Insulting children.

Proud of yourself are you? :rolleyes:
Original post by Lissy14
I agree with your point and don't want to offend, but Ofsted isn't everything. In fact some outstanding schools are actually kinda sh*t where as 'satisfactory' can be very good...

That's not offensive, I don't think Ofsted ratings are 'everything' either. But the question is would I send my kids there in the hypothetical situation.... Bearing in mind this article is the only knowledge I have of the school, I can't see a reason why I wouldn't. It could be the case that it's terrible, but that's not the conclusion I draw from the info in the article.

Original post by Olie
This is the Daily Mail we're talking about remember, at least the article highlights the success of the school being rated as outstanding, although being the DM, I can't imagine their true intentions in publishing the article are anything but the usual tactics of trying to shock and anger the ignorant. Yet I see no more than a successful school with students that will probably go on to do very well and contribute to society and like one or two of the comments (that were of course negatively rated), how many native British children can speak more than one language, not many!

Yes... I'm sure they have their reasons for publishing this. I laughed at how any of the comments that were positive on the DM website had more down votes than up ones. Some people's views just won't change, no matter what.

Quick Reply

Latest