The Student Room Group

Speech and language therapy at City university

Has anyone studies speech and language therapy at City university and what are your experiences like? Also are there any 18 year olds bc it seems to be a course filled with more of the older generation at this uni

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm 19 and in the same position! I want to know more about this course too but idk anyone who's studied it.
Reply 2
Original post by rubyyuna
I'm 19 and in the same position! I want to know more about this course too but idk anyone who's studied it.

omg hey sis, have you applied for it or any other unis? from what i've gathered City is really good with practical work but my only thing is a lot of these people are doing masters so i'm not sure how the undergraduate is. I know sheffield and reading are good tho but i live in London and i want to go somewhere diverse yk?
Reply 3
Hey guyss, I've also applied for SALT at city university, I'm 18 turning 19 and hopefully there's an age diversity. I did speak with a speech and lang undergrad about city and it sounds really good and balances practical/clinical and written work.
Reply 4
Original post by fads654
Hey guyss, I've also applied for SALT at city university, I'm 18 turning 19 and hopefully there's an age diversity. I did speak with a speech and lang undergrad about city and it sounds really good and balances practical/clinical and written work.

Heyy, thank you for saying that because i literally have no insight into City. When did you apply btw and do you know how long it takes for them to reply back?
I think in general allied health professions courses tend to have a wider range of ages represented as they are more likely to attract older students looking to make a career change (which is facilitated by the fact they are eligible for funding as a second degree). Bear in mind that just because they are older doesn't mean they won't necessarily be interested in the same student activities as you, and equally even if not, remember there are all the other students in the uni you can make friends with.

Uni is definitely not like school where you get segregated on the basis of year (i.e. age) and subject(s) - you absolutely can and will make friends with people on other courses, or in different years of their course, as well as who are in your course and year (i.e. in your cohort) but that are of different ages to you. This is part of what university is about, because likewise when you go into the workforce you'll be working with people of all different ages in different positions (and at varying levels of seniority - invariably sooner or later I expect you will be managed by someone younger than you, and/or manage someone older than yourself)!

So don't worry too much about that :smile: Also in London, where there are so many unis, it's quite possible you'll get to know people at other unis too!
Reply 6
No worries, I’m also trying really hard to find out this info, since I’m in Y13 I just applied my UCAS application to my centre internally last Friday and late jan is when City and my other choices see my application and personal statement. I’ve literally been scouring the internet and TSR and after you do a interview with them they respond back within 7-10 days & their interview is 10 questions I think and like a salt based video you have to talk about.

Original post by aaaxo
Heyy, thank you for saying that because i literally have no insight into City. When did you apply btw and do you know how long it takes for them to reply back?
Reply 7
Original post by fads654
No worries, I’m also trying really hard to find out this info, since I’m in Y13 I just applied my UCAS application to my centre internally last Friday and late jan is when City and my other choices see my application and personal statement. I’ve literally been scouring the internet and TSR and after you do a interview with them they respond back within 7-10 days & their interview is 10 questions I think and like a salt based video you have to talk about.

Whats a salt based video? Also i applied to my centre too and i'm still waiting for them to send off the application to ucas which is kind of stresssful beacuse i don't want to be too late and i think my interview will be after the Christmas holidays ahh. Did you apply to any other unis btw?
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
I think in general allied health professions courses tend to have a wider range of ages represented as they are more likely to attract older students looking to make a career change (which is facilitated by the fact they are eligible for funding as a second degree). Bear in mind that just because they are older doesn't mean they won't necessarily be interested in the same student activities as you, and equally even if not, remember there are all the other students in the uni you can make friends with.

Uni is definitely not like school where you get segregated on the basis of year (i.e. age) and subject(s) - you absolutely can and will make friends with people on other courses, or in different years of their course, as well as who are in your course and year (i.e. in your cohort) but that are of different ages to you. This is part of what university is about, because likewise when you go into the workforce you'll be working with people of all different ages in different positions (and at varying levels of seniority - invariably sooner or later I expect you will be managed by someone younger than you, and/or manage someone older than yourself)!

So don't worry too much about that :smile: Also in London, where there are so many unis, it's quite possible you'll get to know people at other unis too!

Ah that is so true, thank you so much!!
Original post by aaaxo

I applied for City on Friday and got a response on Wednesday so it didn’t take that long for them to reply back x
Reply 10
Original post by aaaxo
Whats a salt based video? Also i applied to my centre too and i'm still waiting for them to send off the application to ucas which is kind of stresssful beacuse i don't want to be too late and i think my interview will be after the Christmas holidays ahh. Did you apply to any other unis btw?

SALT as in Speech And Language Therapy type of video like a scenario where someone has aphasia ect. And same I’m waiting on my centre to send mine as well hopefully it’s soon. I also applied for uni of Greenwich, BCU, and uni of Essex.
Reply 11
Original post by missversace
I applied for City on Friday and got a response on Wednesday so it didn’t take that long for them to reply back x

Oo okay thank you bb, i'm still waiting for my school to send off my application ahh
Reply 12
Original post by fads654
SALT as in Speech And Language Therapy type of video like a scenario where someone has aphasia ect. And same I’m waiting on my centre to send mine as well hopefully it’s soon. I also applied for uni of Greenwich, BCU, and uni of Essex.

Oh damn i've been practising some interview questions but not that, thank you
Original post by aaaxo
omg hey sis, have you applied for it or any other unis? from what i've gathered City is really good with practical work but my only thing is a lot of these people are doing masters so i'm not sure how the undergraduate is. I know sheffield and reading are good tho but i live in London and i want to go somewhere diverse yk?

nope I havent applied yet. Same I live in london too!! Yeah apparently sheffield and reading are really good unis, so I may apply there too since theres no other unis in london..btw do you know what sort of interview questions city may ask?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by rubyyuna
nope I havent applied yet. Same I live in london too!! Yeah apparently sheffield and reading are really good unis, so I may apply there too since theres no other unis in london..btw do you know what sort of interview questions city may ask?

Hey my centre is planning on sending off my application this week, do you have any updates so far x
Reply 15
Original post by missversace

Hey, have you already done your interview for City and how did it go x
Reply 16
Original post by fads654

Hi love, have you done your interview already and how did it go?
Hi! I'm in yr 13 rn so I had the same worry so i asked abt it on the open day but the lecturer did say the ages were diverse so hopefully it should be fine!
Hi! It's a year later haha- did you guys get into the course? If so how are you finding it? Current year 13 student here :')
Original post by cinnamonbear
Hi! It's a year later haha- did you guys get into the course? If so how are you finding it? Current year 13 student here :')

I’m in my second year now and love it, feel free to dm me if you have any questions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest