Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Out of interest who are you, and where abouts do you live
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
As in the oli smith that lives in the b+b in welwick??? yea/no??
Reply 3
That's the one.
Reply 4
LOL. how is he anyway?? whats he up2??

theres alot of reasons for choosing hull btw!!! read through some of the other threads.. its cheap the atmosphere is amazing, as is the nightlife.. the people there are ace. the teaching is excellent. and it is constantly improving, and is definately making a name for itsself... the university kicks ass , and is in no way representative of hull in generaly, however to be honest. when you are ther and travelling from cott to un or town, everythng you see is nice... pretty much none of my mates have seen anything bad.... so its all good. if that makes sense??

you in lower 6?
Reply 5
Yep, I'm in lower 6th right now.
Oli's at Leeds doing his civil engineering and has spent 3000 quid in 3 months... *shakes head*

As for Hull... maybe I'm just sick of it after being here for such a long time... besides, York's almost next door and fantastic!!
Reply 6
snugglyorange
Right, I live near Withernsea, which is about 45mins away from Hull, the only city near me. I don't like it. It's a fish port. It's full of chavs. None of the shops are remotely different/up-market. It really isn't a nice city at all.
So, why oh why are people wanting to come to the university?
Please, please answer. I just don't get it!!

You have my sympathy. I lived in Hornsea for a while as a teenager, the only good point about which is that it's not Withernsea!

I moved to Hull six years ago, lived there until earlier this year, and now I'm no longer there I miss it. Hull's a great city to live in. It's cheap, laid-back, I always felt safe there and there's plenty going on. The pubs are excellent and the nightlife is improving fast. There's also the fact that the uni is good by anyone's standards.

Of course Hull has its downsides, but then hasn't everywhere? No city in the UK doesn't have its chavs and its smells and its rough areas. Hull's no different from anywhere else in that respect, and I have to say I feel much safer walking around Hull late at night than I do in London, or in many other cities I could name.

To be honest, you show your ignorance of Hull by just describing it as 'a fish port.' Hull hasn't had a fishing industry to speak of for thirty years ... all there is, is one or two large trawlers and the new fish market. It's hardly as if fishing dominates the place, is it? Sounds to me like you're parroting the old 'Hull smells of fish' line, usually peddled by ignorant Londoners who've never been to Hull. I never smelt fish in Hull in all the time I was there - well, except from the fish and chip shops, of course, but then superb fish and chips is one of the city's attractions!

Nah, I don't regret a minute of the time I spent in Hull, and I always look forward to coming back again. I just love the place. There's something about it that's really hard to describe ... something in the atmosphere of the city and the attitude of the people that I like. It's a very individual city, and once you start to explore it a bit, it's got a fascinating history and a whole load of character. It's my home, and I'd move back to it tomorrow if I could.
Reply 7
yeah, i've lived in hull all my life, and the fishing industry here is as dead as a doornail. the fleet (or what remains of it) operates out of grimsby now. many of the cities problems stem from the collapse of the fishing industry and the transfer of many of the old fishing communities out to large council estates on the outskirts of the city. They are indeed grim - but other parts of the city are bustling and thriving.

as for the shops, well new developments are on the horizon, hopefully be open by the end of the year, so we should see an increase in interesting shops. but part of the problem is that too many people who live close to hull choose to shop in leeds or york instead, stunting the growth of the shops here.

by the way, commiserations on living in withernsea :wink:
Reply 8
I wouldn't attribute too many of Hull's difficulties to the collapse of the fishing industry. It was a major employer, but really only on the south-western side of the city. Its collapse wrecked Hessle Road, but the contraction of the railways and the town docks has had more of an effect on the city as a whole.

To be honest (and I'm sure this point of view is unfashionable, but so what?) the lack of fancy shops is something I like about Hull. Far too many cities of Hull's size are just clone towns these days: the same dull chain stores, no streets of shops, no market, no variety. I like the fact that that hasn't so far happened in Hull. I loved Newland Avenue when I loved around there, because I could do all my shopping down there and rarely needed to go into a dull supermarket. A street like Newland - a self-contained shopping area composed mainly of independents - is such a rarity these days, and the shops down there are very good.

I'm not against more major stores setting up in Hull, but if they threaten the independents I don't want them. I think it's sad that Tesco have been allowed into the St Stephens development, for example. It'll be the death of a lot of shops in the centre and up Spring Bank. I'd have left them to fester in their drab shed on Orchard Park and allowed the centre of the city to keep its individuality!
Reply 9
But this is exactly what I'm talking about - I don't want more Topshops or anything - I want more individual shops! Go to York and it's full of them...

And no, I know it is no longer a fish port... but it's still awfully fishy. Fishy, as in a) There is a fish trail, b) a mariner museum and c) a dock full of fish-boats.
How does it possibly expect to lose it's reputation with that?

And... Hull is not very cultured, now, is it?
There are no indepent or remotely different cinemas.
Very rarely does a good band play.
And whatsmore... the only good thing to come near Hull recentley has been Philip Larkin...

(And I use the term 'recentley' loosely.)

Basically, it may not be hell... but there are many many better cities in the UK.

...i.e. York...
Reply 10
York's nice, but I've a feeling I'd find it too small if I lived there for any length of time.

I think Hull's problem (although it has its upsides) regarding shopping is that, as far as I know, it's the poorest city in England. Incomes are low, and it doesn't attract that many tourists, so who's going to spend the money that would keep shops like they have in York in business? Remember also that York is a major tourist destination: go to cities roughly the size of Hull that are off the tourist track (and I've got Leicester in mind, but there are others), and you'll find that they're not much different in terms of shops from Hull. A few posher shops in some areas, perhaps, but not that many.

And no, I know it is no longer a fish port... but it's still awfully fishy. Fishy, as in a) There is a fish trail, b) a mariner museum and c) a dock full of fish-boats.

The fish trail is just a walking route, much like the ale trail: the maritime museum covers far more than fishing (it's a bit old-fashioned, but that's maybe another issue...) and, well, where is this dock full of fishing boats? I assure you, there isn't one: one or two use Albert Dock, but most of the activity in there is short-sea trade and survey vessels. And on top of all that, why should Hull give up its history? Fishing's a major part of the city's past and identity. Many places make an attraction of their past these days, and Hull is - and should be - no different in that respect. Besides, there's plenty to do in the city that doesn't involve fishing so I don't see the problem. If you're not interested, ignore it: other people are interested.

Hull is a bit of a cultural backwater, but that may change. I do agree it needs a decent independent cinema and a medium-sized music venue, but I still think you're being a bit hard on it. It's not worse than many other cities of its size.
...and it's high crime rate, and teenage pregnancy rate...

I have to agree with the OP, I dislike Hull. And I went to school there everyday for ten years. It IS worse than other places its size, York is beautiful and historical. Hull has old fish ports. Not that there is anything wrong with fish ports, but you know, I think York Minster is a bit prettier and has a wider attraction...
Reply 12
eh! there's loads of individual shops, perhaps you aren't looking in the right place? i go to uni in birmingham, and Hull has more vintage/alternative shops than there, so considering brum is the 2nd biggest city, i dont think thats bad going. Theres also newland ave, try going there if u like individual shops theres millions! York is lovely, but Hull isnt too bad!xx
im from down south and have been to hull twice. i have my doubts about the city its self but am confident with the regeneration taking place that it will be great. have to admit that there is something about the uni that has made me desperately want to go there over other uni choices! The people seem very different (alot more friendly, helpful etc) and can really see my self doing well there. Just out of interest when going round the city there didnt seem to be a central point to it, it seemed kind of scattered? Is the nightlife there any good ? Best point when i was having a wonder around i saw a hooker getting into a car lol :biggrin: cummon the hull!
Reply 14
snugglyorange
Right, I live near Withernsea, which is about 45mins away from Hull, the only city near me. I don't like it. It's a fish port. It's full of chavs. None of the shops are remotely different/up-market. It really isn't a nice city at all.

Because it's a good university with good English, Drama, History, Philosophy etc departments, which is what matters.

I was an undergrad at Hull, loved it and got a First. Now I'm at Oxford; I can't stand Oxford compared to Hull! I live mostly in Hull as my partner lives here, and live in Oxford for parts of the year, and there's no comparison.

Oxford is both unbearably snooty and up its own arse, while at the same time very squalid and full of very poor, often homeless people, whom the rich people ignore and despise. The place has a horrible aura about it generally. There are very few good, affordable cafes in the centre, though there are some nice pubs.

Hull, on the other hand, has loads of great indies cafes, a nice relaxed atmosphere (where I circulate - Avenues, Princes Ave, Newland Ave and Cott Road areas), and no snobbery. Yes, there are chavs: but there are lots of chavs in Oxford too.

I'm about to go down to Oxford for a couple of weeks now, and honestly I just can't wait till I'm back in Hull (though my partner and cats might have something to do with this too :biggrin:)
I find the complete opposite to Alba. People at Oxford seem more friendly, certainly towards me anyway. I have not really felt too much snobbery either. Different experiences for different people I guess.
snugglyorange

Withernsea is no better so what's with the snob attitude? :rolleyes:

Every town is full of chavs and if you actually bother going into Hull on a weekend then I think you'll find they're rapidly being out numbered by moshers/scene kids/emos/goths/alternative people.

It is a really good Uni and Hull isn't so bad. There's so much going on but no one realises.
snugglyorange

What "reputation" it's history.

snugglyorange
And... Hull is not very cultured, now, is it?
There are no indepent or remotely different cinemas.

Not every town/city has EVERYTHING.

snugglyorange
Very rarely does a good band play.

That's a matter of opinion. Hull has a thriving local music scene. But no one can define "good band" because it's all relative.

snugglyorange
And whatsmore... the only good thing to come near Hull recentley has been Philip Larkin...
By being a librarian at Hull Uni? Wow. There's loads of brilliant people associated with Hull. William Wilberforce, Amy Johnson... the Beautiful South! Wikipedia: People from Hull

snugglyorange

there are many many better cities in the UK. ...i.e. York...

'Better' is an opinion. I bet you're gutted you live "near" Withernsea rather than being able to tie yourself properly with York!:rolleyes:
Reply 18
Yorkshire_Laura
I find the complete opposite to Alba. People at Oxford seem more friendly, certainly towards me anyway. I have not really felt too much snobbery either. Different experiences for different people I guess.

I haven't met any snobbery connected with anyone at the university - I was talking more about the town generally, and the people that live there.

I get on better with my fellow students at Oxford (I had nothing in common with any of them at Hull). But what was great for me about Hull were my friendships with a number of my tutors, how encouraging and interested they were, and how they treated me as an equal. In Oxford, nearly all my tutors stand-offish, completely disinterested in what I'm doing, and fairly patronising (except the ones who are my friends; but I knew them before I came). I find that a lot of Oxford students have this crippling reverence for their tutors, many of whom talk down to them as if they are school children, even at Master's level. It's a childish attitude that is reinforced by many tutors' self-aggrandising behaviour - especially those who are not very brilliant scholars. It annoys me about the place - its sense of being so wonderful, when really its not. Hull is much more genuine, and the teaching I got there was of a higher standard.
Reply 19
Yorkshire_Laura

The university advertises itself as friendly but a lot of the students and lecturers carried a hugh chip on their shoulders and could be rude and abusive to anyone on to something vaguely good.

It's amazing we had such different experiences. I wasn't impressed with the students either, but never met a lecturer with the kind of chip on their shoulder I see at Oxford. Half the reason I did so well at Hull was the fact that the lecturers knew and understood and encouraged me, telling me I could do anything I put my mind to. They were fantastic.

Latest