The Student Room Group

Long term parking at univeristy of hull

I was hoping to bring my car to uni, as I'm travelling from London. Does anyone know where I can park my car the whole time I'm there? I'm hoping to pay under 70 pounds a month if possible, but I understand if it's not.
Reply 1
First of all think to yourself - do you really need a car at uni? It's an expense of 200-250 per month for most people when factoring in insurance, tax, petrol.

I would really highly recommend going to university without a car for at least the first few months to get used to the surroundings etc.

This is what I did - I waited until christmas, realised I had the funds and space to park a car (I get a permit here in Swansea) so brought a car back then.

A car can make things super fun especially in a remote town like Swansea - but in Hull you won't need a car except to get back home to London. I suppose you'll maybe be doing this once a month at most - so a train ticket (Friday evening to sunday evening Hull to London is £60 return without a railcard if you book in advance) or a coach ticket (£40 return) would work out nearly twice as cheap as paying for a month of parking, let alone the cost of petrol (A 45mpg car will cost you £67.14 to get to Hull and back from London Brixton in petrol alone).

Cars are bloody expensive especially as a student, I only have one as I am doing an automotive design course and it is my hobby.

If after all my advice you still want to have a car at uni..... try local supermarkets to see if they have permits going, I know Sainsburys often does them. £70 a week here I believe.

Or you could start uni and in the first few months of living there ask other people in second or third years where they park their cars. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by oligti
First of all think to yourself - do you really need a car at uni? It's an expense of 200-250 per month for most people when factoring in insurance, tax, petrol.

I would really highly recommend going to university without a car for at least the first few months to get used to the surroundings etc.

This is what I did - I waited until christmas, realised I had the funds and space to park a car (I get a permit here in Swansea) so brought a car back then.

A car can make things super fun especially in a remote town like Swansea - but in Hull you won't need a car except to get back home to London. I suppose you'll maybe be doing this once a month at most - so a train ticket (Friday evening to sunday evening Hull to London is £60 return without a railcard if you book in advance) or a coach ticket (£40 return) would work out nearly twice as cheap as paying for a month of parking, let alone the cost of petrol (A 45mpg car will cost you £67.14 to get to Hull and back from London Brixton in petrol alone).

Cars are bloody expensive especially as a student, I only have one as I am doing an automotive design course and it is my hobby.

If after all my advice you still want to have a car at uni..... try local supermarkets to see if they have permits going, I know Sainsburys often does them. £70 a week here I believe.

Or you could start uni and in the first few months of living there ask other people in second or third years where they park their cars. :smile:

These are all true points, the only reason I want to bring it is because otherwise I've payed 3000 for my insurance, just for it to sit on my drive. I've now found parking, but what you said is very true. Thank you!!
Reply 3
Original post by Macyl05
These are all true points, the only reason I want to bring it is because otherwise I've payed 3000 for my insurance, just for it to sit on my drive. I've now found parking, but what you said is very true. Thank you!!

Beware you do not become a taxi service ... why on earth did your insurance cost £3000!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Beware you do not become a taxi service ... why on earth did your insurance cost £3000!

I know I felt like crying! It's with a black box as well!! I think it's because I'm a new driver with a 1.4 engine. I don't mind driving people if they wanna cover petrol as its expensive haha!
Reply 5
Original post by Macyl05
I know I felt like crying! It's with a black box as well!! I think it's because I'm a new driver with a 1.4 engine. I don't mind driving people if they wanna cover petrol as its expensive haha!

1.4 engine is the error here ... did you add a parent a second driver? Eek re black box - check restrictions on that! [Mileage, driving at night etc]

Be careful about carrying drunk friends ... look at the accident data.
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
1.4 engine is the error here ... did you add a parent a second driver? Eek re black box - check restrictions on that! [Mileage, driving at night etc]

Be careful about carrying drunk friends ... look at the accident data.

That’s another reason my insurance is expensive, it has no regulations and doesn’t track speed, only sudden braking and acceleration. I have 2 parents with 30+ years of no claim discount which only had a little impact. Though they have assured me if I stay in gold all year, my insurance next year will be closer to £1000. It also didn’t help that I booked the insurance for immediate, rather than in advance as booking for a month in advance is cheaper.
Regarding the drunk friends, I never realised that it was dangerous, so I’ll be careful being the DD, thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by Macyl05
That’s another reason my insurance is expensive, it has no regulations and doesn’t track speed, only sudden braking and acceleration. I have 2 parents with 30+ years of no claim discount which only had a little impact. Though they have assured me if I stay in gold all year, my insurance next year will be closer to £1000. It also didn’t help that I booked the insurance for immediate, rather than in advance as booking for a month in advance is cheaper.
Regarding the drunk friends, I never realised that it was dangerous, so I’ll be careful being the DD, thank you!

Did you try with one parent? My son tried with us both then just one of us - it was cheaper with just me [female] although I have fewer years of driving.

Yes drunk friends are a huge distraction - keep safe :smile: I wouldn't tell people you have a car until you know them a bit.
Reply 8
You can get a refund on insurance if you cancel it, you'll just need to pay a cancellation fee (never more than 100 in total)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending