The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I relate to you there Alba. They are definitely more stand offish, tutors at Ox. Looks like you and I have something in common, Hull to Oxford. :wink: Self-aggrandising behaviour, nice phrase- I'll remember that one when next explaining in the situtation. In fact, I am considering not going to a seminar at 6pm tonight because of it, 6pm what the hell is that kind of hour anyway on Friday!!!

Take care!
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
I got on with some of the lecturers but a couple decided after coming top of y2 that they had it in for me. I realise what your saying though, some are supportive. I could have been clearer!
Reply 22
One tutor at Oxford (this one's all right, he's a friend of mine) makes his students turn up for tutes at 8am, just so he can get the train home on a Thursday afternoon.

What year did you graduate from Hull?
Reply 23
Oh, and here's a question. I was having a very heated debate on another forum about my first from Hull being the same standard as a first from Oxford, after some idiot said that any Oxford student could walk into places like Hull and get a first with their eyes closed. Do you agree with me, that the standard of marking etc. is the same across the board? I know that my friends on my Master's course who were at Oxbridge as undergrads are no more intelligent than me and are not getting higher marks - which they would if their first degree was harder than mine!

I said I never meet with snobbery at Oxford Uni (about the fact that I went to Hull), but I frequently do on the student room, usually from Oxbridge wannabes who have no idea what they're talking about.
The Alba - If that's an open question, I'll contribute.
I can see how there could be some difference in marks, because presumably there's a slightly 'better' quality student at Oxbridge. On the other hand, they have a few pretty big advantages in teaching (one on one tutoring) that we don't get. If anything that should make it easier for them! :P
I think the most important point to make though that if there was such a massive difference in the worth of the grade solely based on the prestige of the uni, there wouldn't be much point in having a grading system that applies to every uni. A 1st in a 1st wherever you go, I don't think anyone should belittle that fact. And, of course, if it was so easy to get a 1st at Hull compared to Oxbridge why would they take Hull graduates at Oxbridge?
I have no idea if that little ramble made any sense, I'm tired and can't think straight :P

I have a question for The_Alba or whoever, if that's okay. I'm already looking at my Masters options (I'm in first year) and I was wondering how you got into Oxford. Was it mostly based on the fact that you got a first or did other factors count?
The_Alba,

Ignore people on here as far as possible. I have just been offered an interview for a really good job and people, one especially, are desperate to make categorical assertions that its because of my B.C.L (a course at Ox, only accepting and even turning people with firsts) not Hull. Recruitment has told me otherwise and the first at Hull was very important factor in the balance. People can be pretty unpleasant hiding behind screen names.

I know an external examiner for both Hull and Oxford. She felt that Oxford awarded firsts more easily. I believe she was slightly unfair though. One thing is certain however, the disparity between the two when it comes to exam scripts is not as large as one might imagine at all. On the forum for my subject, law, a Professor from Oxford actually visits it (it’s really him because I know him and he tutors me) and he admits that for law most redbrick institutions apply similar standards when awarding firsts and Hull is not a bogus university hence my admission to the course.

One thing Hull does not provide is the tutorial system and heavy debate in seminars. This clearly improves confidence and the ability of holding one's own in what often become furious group discussions. There I think it’s fair to say that Ox has a tenancy to provide a better education. Still academically, on paper, I feel the same product actually comes out in the wash, other than Hull students have less support to get there.
the_alba
I haven't met any snobbery connected with anyone at the university - I was talking more about the town generally, and the people that live there.

That is true, my Mother finds that the public are rude- push you out of the way in shops etc.
Reply 27
I'm in complete agreement with both of you on this. I know that my first is the same as an Oxford first, because all my tutors told me it was (some of whom had just come from teaching in Oxford). I was an English student, so obviously there would be no disparity between standards of exam questions and such, but it's good to know this is also the case in Law. The fact is that if our firsts were not marked to the same standard as theirs, we would never have got onto their postgrad courses. And Laura, re your job: I got a really sought after job in publishing in London, based on my Hull first and my experience of reviewing for newspapers, before I'd even gone to Oxford (this is a job for which hundreds of Oxbridge grads apply). I think that says it all. Well done on yours!

Bigmouth strikes again, what subject do you do? I got into Oxford based on my marks, which (I admit) were freakishly high, and I got some pretty good references too. It's down to what your subject is and what's required of you. I was lucky in that one of my tutors at Hull encouraged me to write for the Guardian and things, so this would have gone hugely in my favour in an Oxford application. But you don't have to have done that. Oxford has no snobbery towards Hull that I have detected, so as long as you get a first (and, depending on how competitive the course you're applying for is, a high 2:1 might do), you'll have a good shot of being accepted.
Reply 28
Oh, and Laura, you're right about the debating side of things. In Hull, hardly any student is willing to open their mouth at all in seminars, whereas in Oxford you always get blabbermouths yapping away in lectures even! The reticence of Hull students used to really annoy me, but quite often I find what the hyper-confident Oxford student is saying is total rubbish and I just wish they'd shut up... If only there were a happy medium.
I am hardly surprised that you have written for the Guardian. Goodness me, you really are articulate, even on a chat site. You definitely deserve to be at Oxford, you have already impressed me more than some! My course is quite unique in that it only accepts 1sts; a high 2.1 suffices for many!!

St Johns, lovely college. I noticed a different post of yours! I am at St Hilda's. I applied a day before the deadline of the third and final round of applicants and everywhere else was full.
Reply 30
Thanks :smile: A lot of my friends either were or still are at Hilda's; in fact, I should be going to their graduation ball. It's a lovely college. My course too only accepts Firsts; though yours, being Law is probably even more competitive.
the_alba - British Politics, and I assumed politics courses are usually quite comptetive.
Write for the Guardian? Wow, envy!
I'm aiming for a first. I ended up doing some second year modules this year and got 2:1s out of them, so I reckon I can improve for next year if I work harder, or I hope so, at least.
I didn't think that the institution of Oxford would have a problem with Hull and I assumed that at graduate level the students wouldn't either. It's all the undergrads fault, I tell you! :p:

Latest