The Student Room Group

Commuting to uni

Hey guys

I am caught between a rock. Does anyone one think it's a good idea to travel from Manchester to Lancaster to the Cumbia university campus. I will be studying occupational therapy there in September going 4 times a week. What do u guys think. :confused:
Original post by Zinhle92
Hey guys

I am caught between a rock. Does anyone one think it's a good idea to travel from Manchester to Lancaster to the Cumbia university campus. I will be studying occupational therapy there in September going 4 times a week. What do u guys think. :confused:

Hiya, im going to be commuting from skelmersdale (about 50 miles) too. I'm trying to see if anyone wants to car share to save costs but obviously there is added time. Maybe you could do the same? I know we'll be studying with some of the other healthcare students so possibly a radiographer etc may be interested up near you?
Hey guys

How long will it take each way? How tired will it make you? How much will it cost? How much will you miss out on?
Reply 3
It will take me 2 and a half hours going and 2 and a half coming back. It will cost me 340 a month for travelling .
It will take me 2 and a half hours going and 2 and a half coming back. It will cost me 340 a month for travelling .

That will be exhausting. Why not live on/near campus?
Jesus wept. No, I couldn't recommend it. 2.5 hours each way will kill you, sooner or later.

Have you considered what will happen once you start going on placement and have to be there very early in the morning? It may not be physically possible by public transport.

I'd move, personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it's doable. You're not going to save very much money commuting in this way, and on such a long journey, you'll be more likely to experience delays. There may well also be days when you'd be expected to come to the uni for relatively short periods of time- you might end up sometimes spending far more time commuting than at uni.

In general, I think commutes of more than an hour are going to be a struggle.

Why are you considering commuting and not living near the uni?

Bloody hell, absolutely no way.
Reply 8
Thanks for your advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest, commuting is worth it if you live in the same city.

But not when you live in a different one, so I'd say move out.
definetly move especially considering thats not always going to be a one train journey so you may have to change in preston and if you re spending 340 a month on travel thats not too far off how much you could be paying to rent somewhere in lancaster anyway.
Reply 11
It will cost me 340 a month for travelling .

If you choose a "Small single" room in uni accommodation, it would be £13-£15 cheaper than the travelling cost.

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/StudentLife/Accommodation/FeesAndEssentialInformation/Fees.aspx
Reply 12
Thanks so much guys for the responses. I have found a shared house. Which is like 15 mins away from the university, I took the advice you gave to me into consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much guys for the responses. I have found a shared house. Which is like 15 mins away from the university, I took the advice you gave to me into consideration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done this is the correct course have a cookie

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done - hope it all works out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Glad to hear it - definitely the right decision :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending