The Student Room Group

Announcement about the moderation role

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a round up response to some of the points/questions raised.

The role of the CT is largely staying the same (it won’t grow in size either), yes there will be a heavier focus on admin but we have actually been supporting the team on this for a while now.

We feel that response times have been more than acceptable with the report queue nearly being entirely clear at the end of each day. We are also consistently on top of it throughout the day. If someone would like to shed light on why they feel response times have been slow we would appreciate that.

We will constantly monitor our activity and will set our team targets to ensure response times are speedy.

Since we made the announcement yesterday we have had an influx of applications to join the team. Not everyone enjoys the policing side of the former role but would like to take a more proactive and influential role in the community which will enable them to do more for students. Different tasks and responsibilities motivate different people so we may see a change in terms of the make-up of the team. For now we are going through huge change and our current mods are taking it day by day to see how it goes and whether the changes in the role work for them or whether they decide that this is now the time to move on.

One of the key motivating factors for making the changes was to ensure that the amount the mods were “under fire” would be limited to a minimum. Mods will still be able to help and educate members regarding our guidelines via the posting tip and reminder cards, the CT then deals with yellow and red card offenders. So through refocusing our roles on these tasks we hope that our mods will no longer have their enjoyment sapped or that their time on TSR becomes an unpleasant chore.

Forum assistant type tasks like moving threads are incredibly important, in my opinion no one is too good to be doing this. Keeping forums tidy and threads bring in the right place is so important. In the last two weeks we have had a record breaking exam season with more students than ever before on TSR. The study helps mods and the CT have worked really closely to ensure that students find what they came for and this has made a huge difference. It’s given us a real taster of what the new chapter will look like and help us to appreciate what the CT and a section mod team can achieve together in their refocused roles now and in the future.

Other sections also have some great ideas and they have the used the past couple of months to actually take a step back from the admin, come together as a team and start reviewing and planning for their sections.

We are certainly not phasing out volunteering on TSR, it’s a vital part of this community. Students come to learn from their peers and members who have experiences. They create some amazing guidance and resources. Yes admin is important to community health but it’s not the most important part of the role. If the team are in the community helping them and educating them about what is ok and what is not ok (as some do now) it’s arguable that admin would ultimately do down. Ok we would still have the odd troll creating a little bit of drama here and there but that comes with the territory. As the CT we feel empowered to deal with these kinds of users quickly and effectively.

I have to say that it saddens me to see former members of the team acting rather unpleasantly to current members. It’s unnecessary. Everyone in the team plays a vital role and sometimes the makeup of their tasks is based on their section, sometimes their greatest strength may partly be how they support their team mates in and outside of their section this is very important too.

If anyone has any further questions let me know,

SR
Original post by She-Ra
If someone would like to shed light on why they feel response times have been slow we would appreciate that.

Well, I sent a report in on the 24/5/15 which wasn't sorted for about 36 hours, until 26/5/15 - granted it was on a Sunday when I sent the report in, but this is a 24/7 forum, and so I personally would say that in this case (although it may be isolated) is slow.

Are mods going to still be responding to reports during night hours and over the weekend when the CT are understandably having their nights and weekends to themselves...?
Original post by mobbsy91
Well, I sent a report in on the 24/5/15 which wasn't sorted for about 36 hours, until 26/5/15 - granted it was on a Sunday when I sent the report in, but this is a 24/7 forum, and so I personally would say that in this case (although it may be isolated) is slow.

Are mods going to still be responding to reports during night hours and over the weekend when the CT are understandably having their nights and weekends to themselves...?

That's just one report - and there are plenty of examples in the past where reports have been in the queue for a week. We can't promise to deal with everything within 12-24 hours but quite frankly this has never been the case.

The queues are managed entirely by the CT now with support from our PSV and SLs if a report is made regarding user safety.

We can no longer see the queues.
(edited 8 years ago)

I agree - report response times do seem to have slowed down on the whole. Which then makes me feel less inclined to make reports, since if the offending posts are going to stay up for hours/days, half the time the damage has already been done.

On a personal note, I also quite enjoyed having people I knew and interacted with on the forums answering my reports. It felt more rewarding and personal (plus the CT never respond to my report jokes :emo:).
Original post by She-Ra
That's just one report - and there are plenty of examples in the past where reports have been in the queue for a week. We can't promise to deal with everything within 12-24 hours but quite frankly this has never been the case.

The queues are managed entirely by the CT now with support from our PSV and SLs if a report is made regarding user safety.

I have no doubt that this is a rare incident - I was just shedding light on why, as you asked, I felt it was slightly slow... The post I reported, was seriously seriously bad, and so there wasnt any problem with a slower response, but as long as the more serious ones can be dealt with more speedily, then that's the most important thing of course...

Yeh I didn't think you could see the queue. Fair enough.

Original post by superwolf

On a personal note, I also quite enjoyed having people I knew and interacted with on the forums answering my reports. It felt more rewarding and personal (plus the CT never respond to my report jokes :emo:).

Yeh, I do agree :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra

I don't really understand this whole moderation/CT/SL/etc structure tbh, but anyway this just seems kind of strange to me. You acknowledge that the reports take quite a long time to be dealt with, while you're removing the powers from your free workforce to help you with this?

:hugs: :redface:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
:hugs: :redface:

:blush:
I agree - report response times do seem to have slowed down on the whole. Which then makes me feel less inclined to make reports, since if the offending posts are going to stay up for hours/days, half the time the damage has already been done.

CT are life
CT are love
:indiff:
Original post by e aí rapaz
I don't really understand this whole moderation/CT/SL/etc structure tbh, but anyway this just seems kind of strange to me. You acknowledge that the reports take quite a long time to be dealt with, while you're removing the powers from your free workforce to help you with this?

Community Team (CT) - employees of TSR Group
Section leaders (SL) - manage their section mod teams
Mods

There are also community assistants (forum assistants) and other supportive volunteer groups like the study helpers.

Hope that helps :smile:

Reports do take a while to deal with but that's the nature of forum admin, each one of you will have a perception around whether we are quick or slow because you base it on your experience. Some will experience a report being closed within a minute, others within hours, some longer.

Ultimately we don't think that TSR mods should online should be dealing with reports and admin when they come online to be part of the community. With this in mind we have refocused the roles. It's as simple as that.

Ahh - I don't I have ever seen a report joke from you.... :frown:

Please continue to report - this is a community effort, if you are seriously wondering why something is taking so long to be dealt with post in AtCT.
What about the new reviewing process that makes posts disappear while they're being reviewed, which apparently takes ages as well? I got a notification this morning saying that one of my posts is being reviewed but the post is still hidden from the public despite the absence of final judgement. It seems like detention without trial.

Could you clarify whether the reported posts are hidden automatically or there is a person responsible, and if it's the latter, why does he not conduct the review straight away? Our posts are only actual for a limited period of time.
Can mods still move threads? Chat is just getting worse in my opinion, there are increasing numbers of education-related threads which shouldn't be there - if mods can't move threads, does this mean they will only be moved to their proper section if they're reported to the CT?
Original post by She-Ra
Community Team (CT) - employees of TSR Group
Section leaders (SL) - manage their section mod teams
Mods

There are also community assistants (forum assistants) and other supportive volunteer groups like the study helpers.

Hope that helps :smile:

Reports do take a while to deal with but that's the nature of forum admin, each one of you will have a perception around whether we are quick or slow because you base it on your experience. Some will experience a report being closed within a minute, others within hours, some longer.

Ultimately we don't think that TSR mods should online should be dealing with reports and admin when they come online to be part of the community. With this in mind we have refocused the roles. It's as simple as that.

Yeah that's why I get so confused about the hierarchy! So many different titles!

So what duties does a mod actually have now? Are they just a rep for the section they moderate? Because that's quite a different position.

In my experience reports usually take too long. By the time an offensive post is removed, the thread has dropped off the popular/latest threads lists, meaning the offensive content was just there when the thread was at its most accessible - hardly ideal!
Original post by Snufkin
Can mods still move threads? Chat is just getting worse in my opinion, there are increasing numbers of education-related threads which shouldn't be there - if mods can't move threads, does this mean they will only be moved to their proper section if they're reported to the CT?

We can still move threads. Although it is not always possible to spot them ourselves given the speed that Chat can move. Therefore, we relied on reports a lot of the time to move them to the correct place. If they are reported now, they should be moved, but only the CT will see those reports.
Original post by She-Ra
Ahh - I don't I have ever seen a report joke from you.... :frown:

Please continue to report - this is a community effort, if you are seriously wondering why something is taking so long to be dealt with post in AtCT.

I've stopped making them. :nopity: Never more shall I use the :fuhrer: when reporting a holocaust denial thread.

I don't mean this personally, as I actually quite like you She-Ra, but I don't see how removing responsibility from key team members benefits us as a community? It also seems a bit iffy to me that you chose to trial the change (which was bound to have some issues at the start, no matter what your opinion of it) while keeping the mods as a figurehead to bear the brunt of any criticism of the site's slowing down/getting a bit crap here and there.

We can still joke and interact on the forum :yep:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
We can still joke and interact on the forum :yep:

But how will the count to 100 thread function now? :puppyeyes:
But how will the count to 100 thread function now? :puppyeyes:

Same as ever :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending