The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't like it when someone wheres the whole 'preppy' look at once, but individually the items are OK. I've never bought anything from there because the prices are obscene, but I've liked a few things (their shop used to be next to my bus stop so I'd have a browse instead of waiting in the cold). It's generally the jumpers I've liked, but theres no justification of their prices.
boring as hell.
Reply 162
like everything, good in moderation.

i'd like to know why the people who are saying anyone who wears jack wills is a chav/wannabe rah are putting people down for dressing how they want to dress.... seems a bit off to me
dementedbunny
boring as hell.
Hmm, I'd tend to agree with you. I went in their store today as I'm on a desperate hunt for shorts and literally NO WHERE has any that aren't going out shorts, and thought they might have some in their sale. Every single person who worked there looked exactly the same, same colours, same hair, same everything. I know they have to wear JW clothes, but surely it isn't that hard to mix it up a bit?! Every single person in the store apart from me looked like they should be on a Polo field rather than in a city centre.

The prices were ridiculous too, how can they justify charginf £49 for a hoodie, in the sale?! Awfully overpriced.
Reply 164
Why is this thread back from the dead??
Kittennffc
Hmm, I'd tend to agree with you. I went in their store today as I'm on a desperate hunt for shorts and literally NO WHERE has any that aren't going out shorts, and thought they might have some in their sale. Every single person who worked there looked exactly the same, same colours, same hair, same everything. I know they have to wear JW clothes, but surely it isn't that hard to mix it up a bit?! Every single person in the store apart from me looked like they should be on a Polo field rather than in a city centre.

The prices were ridiculous too, how can they justify charginf £49 for a hoodie, in the sale?! Awfully overpriced.

They're currently doing their winter sale, why would you expect them to be selling shorts other than pyjamas? :curious:

Anyway, of course the staff look similar, they're asked to wear the Jack Wills clothes, as you said yourself. Under normal circumstances when people choose the pieces wisely and adapt them to wear alongside other brands not everyone will look the same though. It's very hard to "mix it up" a bit when they aren't given masses to choose from. I know what you mean, but the circumstances don't really allow for a load of variety.

In my experience, the quality justifies the prices too. :smile:
clothes look comfy and some of the things i like, but generally it doesnt do it for me. more expensive than im willing to spend too! but if people like it and can afford it then good for them!
.x.jen.x.
They're currently doing their winter sale, why would you expect them to be selling shorts other than pyjamas? :curious:
Because every sale I've been in has been trying to get rid of their summer stock, which includes shorts :rolleyes: but as almost every pair of shorts in every shop is denim (I'm going to Australia so not really appropriate), so it really was a last ditch effort.

Anyway, of course the staff look similar, they're asked to wear the Jack Wills clothes, as you said yourself. Under normal circumstances when people choose the pieces wisely and adapt them to wear alongside other brands not everyone will look the same though. It's very hard to "mix it up" a bit when they aren't given masses to choose from. I know what you mean, but the circumstances don't really allow for a load of variety.
Obviously they are going to be wearing the same sorts of clothes, I used to work in a clothes shop so know that people end up wearing similar stuff, but it literally was every single person wearing a blue gilet. They have some lovely jumpers in there, so I can't understand why they wouldn't want to wear them instead, but that's just my opinion.

In my experience, the quality justifies the prices too. :smile:
I've never bought anything from there before, but is a polo top really worth £40?! It's just cotton! There was a black vest top that was very similar to the stuff they have in Topshop, that was £9 in the sale and was really nothing special. I just can't justify paying so much money for something you'd essentially wear around the house or to the gym.
Reply 168
To those who said it's boring, I agree, the stuff is pretty boring, but sometimes it's nice to wear simple 'boring' shirts because with the right outfit they can look effortlessly chic and stylish. Exciting =/= stylish.
Kittennffc
Because every sale I've been in has been trying to get rid of their summer stock, which includes shorts :rolleyes: but as almost every pair of shorts in every shop is denim (I'm going to Australia so not really appropriate), so it really was a last ditch effort.

Oh, my mistake, i thought the intention was to have sales for summer stock before the autumn/winter stuff entered the shops...and then to get rid of the winter stock before the spring & summer items come in. Clearly that doesn't happen in normal shops then...I hope you enjoy Australia though, i reckon you could get away with denim and a lighter top though...or wait until you get there as an excuse to go shopping :smile:

Obviously they are going to be wearing the same sorts of clothes, I used to work in a clothes shop so know that people end up wearing similar stuff, but it literally was every single person wearing a blue gilet. They have some lovely jumpers in there, so I can't understand why they wouldn't want to wear them instead, but that's just my opinion.

Must have caught them on an unlucky day where they'd chosen to wear similar items! I've never seen that happen in the Chester store and they're all wearing different pieces every time i go in, which i think is a nice little advertisement for the clothes because they always look hot :p:

I've never bought anything from there before, but is a polo top really worth £40?! It's just cotton! There was a black vest top that was very similar to the stuff they have in Topshop, that was £9 in the sale and was really nothing special. I just can't justify paying so much money for something you'd essentially wear around the house or to the gym.

I agree, £40 is quite steep for a polo shirt, but i still think the quality justifies it. It may look the same as something for less than £10 in Topshop, but from my experience there is a massive difference in quality. I've never bought anything from Topshop that has kept it's shape, whereas all my JW items remain "fitted" and the same shape as when i bought them. I'm not one to buy £40 polos though, i tend to choose more "sensible" items that are worth their money, such as a winter coat which needs to be sturdy and excellent quality as it gets worn to death! I guess it all depends on what you buy and what you intend to wear it for. :smile:
Reply 170
Kittennffc
There was a black vest top that was very similar to the stuff they have in Topshop, that was £9 in the sale and was really nothing special. I just can't justify paying so much money for something you'd essentially wear around the house or to the gym.

I agree with the gym thing. I'm not paying money to wear stuff that I'll sweat my butt off in and that will end up smelly. However, with any shop, some things are worth the money (well sale prices in this case) and some things arn't. I love Karen Millen. In their sales you'll find plain black jumpers. I'm not payoing 50 quid for a plain jumper. I would be tempted to pay that much (in fact I have) for a going out skirt in the KM sales. Similarly, I'd pay 30 quid for a JW sale shirt, I wouldn't pay that much for, I dunno, a hoodie coz i don't wear hoodies so i don't attach a high valuation to them.

I used to think that everything in places like topshop (and JW too) was crap. Then I realised that you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss places. I don't have many topshop items but the 1 or 2 things that I do have I love. I reckon I will return to JW for the shirts. I might not like much else but that isn't an issue just as it isn't an issue at topshop or anywhere else.

\rant over. Now I shall revise.
.x.jen.x.
Oh, my mistake, i thought the intention was to have sales for summer stock before the autumn/winter stuff entered the shops...and then to get rid of the winter stock before the spring & summer items come in. Clearly that doesn't happen in normal shops then...I hope you enjoy Australia though, i reckon you could get away with denim and a lighter top though...or wait until you get there as an excuse to go shopping :smile:
Most shops I've been in seem to be getting rid of the rubbish stuff they didn't sell over summer, but then again it all depends on the shop. Yeah, I think it'll be a lot cheaper to get stuff out there as it'll be their summer, so I might have to hit the shops to stock up! I don't think 2 pairs of shorts will last me 4 months, haha.

Must have caught them on an unlucky day where they'd chosen to wear similar items! I've never seen that happen in the Chester store and they're all wearing different pieces every time i go in, which i think is a nice little advertisement for the clothes because they always look hot :p:
It must have been laundry day or something lol. I must admit I've never been in there and seen them all looking as similar as they have today!

I agree, £40 is quite steep for a polo shirt, but i still think the quality justifies it. It may look the same as something for less than £10 in Topshop, but from my experience there is a massive difference in quality. I've never bought anything from Topshop that has kept it's shape, whereas all my JW items remain "fitted" and the same shape as when i bought them. I'm not one to buy £40 polos though, i tend to choose more "sensible" items that are worth their money, such as a winter coat which needs to be sturdy and excellent quality as it gets worn to death! I guess it all depends on what you buy and what you intend to wear it for. :smile:
I know what you mean about quality, I'd rather pay a bit more for something that'll last and last than a couple of quid for something to be thrown away after a while. I'm talking more coats, fancy dresses, shoes etc. I do love Primark though and could spend loads in there, but as I'm buying stuff at the moment that will be kept in a back pack for 4 months, and be covered in sand/suncream and whatever else I might pick up on my travels! I've never had a problem with Topshop stuff, but the stuff I tend to buy is mainly stuff that wouldn't really stretch due to the material or the style of the top.

I think when I come back from travelling, I'm going to hit Bicester with my Mum and Auntie. There is a Jack Wills store there which is apparently loads cheaper, so hopefully they will have some of their jumpers in as I always seem to like them but can never afford them, haha.
Reply 172
Apart from the 2(?) outlet stores, JW never sells stock from the season before so there is not a chance of any summer stock wondering about. Bicester one is an outlet too so you're very much likely to find shorts there.

Last Autumn/winter they had fab shorts(I have a tweed one myself) but unfortunately they didn't make any this time:frown:
minimo
I used to think that everything in places like topshop (and JW too) was crap. Then I realised that you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss places. I don't have many topshop items but the 1 or 2 things that I do have I love. I reckon I will return to JW for the shirts. I might not like much else but that isn't an issue just as it isn't an issue at topshop or anywhere else.

\rant over. Now I shall revise.
Yeah, it's alway worth looking in places you've previously dismissed, as you never know what you might find :smile: I never used to go into Dorothy Perkins but their vest tops are exactly the same as Topshops (where I used to get them from), made from the same material and probably in the same factory. Yet are loads cheaper. Lesson learnt.

Everyone has their own standards though, and how much they are willing to pay for something which you've got to accept. Also, quality is a big factor - there's no point paying for something because of it's name to find it falls to bits after a few washes. I'd happily buy a dress from Coast, even though they are really expensive because I know they fit me well and are gorgeous and amazing quality. I bought my prom dress from there for my Year 13 prom (well actually, it's a top and a skirt designed to look like a dress), and although have only worn it 3 times (it's the kind of thing you don't wear too often anyway), I thought it was money well spent! The same goes for All Saints - I saved up for a skirt from there, and although it was only a mini skirt and £70 seems excessive, I've worn it to death. I got it in my 1st year of uni, and graduated over a year ago and still wear it to this day. The quality is really good, but the only thing about it is it's an absolute nightmare to iron!! There is so much fabric to such a small skirt!
Elondra
Apart from the 2(?) outlet stores, JW never sells stock from the season before so there is not a chance of any summer stock wondering about. Bicester one is an outlet too so you're very much likely to find shorts there.

Last Autumn/winter they had fab shorts(I have a tweed one myself) but unfortunately they didn't make any this time:frown:
Jack Wills must be the exception then, as every other shop today seemed to have shorts (just not ones I wanted!).
Reply 175
Elondra

what's JW summerwear like? Do they make (nonbumskimming) skirts? :smile:
Kittennffc
Most shops I've been in seem to be getting rid of the rubbish stuff they didn't sell over summer, but then again it all depends on the shop. Yeah, I think it'll be a lot cheaper to get stuff out there as it'll be their summer, so I might have to hit the shops to stock up! I don't think 2 pairs of shorts will last me 4 months, haha.

I've never seen summer stuff around this time before :eek: which is why it must be such a nightmare finding stuff suited to places like Australia at this time of year :s-smilie: I feel sorry for you, it would drive me insane searching. :p: I reckon you could get cute stuff out there though, and bring it back for summer in the UK and your clothes will be different to everyone else's who buy theirs here :wink:

I know what you mean about quality, I'd rather pay a bit more for something that'll last and last than a couple of quid for something to be thrown away after a while. I'm talking more coats, fancy dresses, shoes etc. I do love Primark though and could spend loads in there, but as I'm buying stuff at the moment that will be kept in a back pack for 4 months, and be covered in sand/suncream and whatever else I might pick up on my travels! I've never had a problem with Topshop stuff, but the stuff I tend to buy is mainly stuff that wouldn't really stretch due to the material or the style of the top.

Completely agree with not spending tons for a backpacking trip, the last thing you need is to care about the state of your clothes..and which you manage to bring back home with you that haven't gone missing :p: You don't want to be spending £40 per top for a trip like that. haha. I'd be tempted to hit primark and buy a load of tops i could literally chuck away and not carry round with me after a while.

I've probably just been unlucky with my topshop stuff, i've only really bought things like the basic vests, which are pretty much the cheapest thing they sell so they obviously wont have had lots of effort put into them and be the best quality ever :p:

I think when I come back from travelling, I'm going to hit Bicester with my Mum and Auntie. There is a Jack Wills store there which is apparently loads cheaper, so hopefully they will have some of their jumpers in as I always seem to like them but can never afford them, haha.

I wish i lived a bit closer to the Bicester outlet! Last time i went i was with friends who very much dislike JW so they wouldn't give me chance to look at anything properly :hmmm: But i did notice far too many of the hoodies with "Jack Wills" plastered all over them which isn't the kind of thing i like. It would be good if they got some nice jeans or knitwear though. :yep:
Reply 177
minimo
what's JW summerwear like? Do they make (nonbumskimming) skirts? :smile:

I'm not really fond of their summerwear, I prefer Autumn and Spring collections.

They don't make skirts like the ones you like Minimo. Just denim ones but they do lots of cotton shorts etc.
Reply 178
poop :p:

(It's sweet that people on here know exactly what my tastes are :biggrin: )
.x.jen.x.
I've never seen summer stuff around this time before :eek: which is why it must be such a nightmare finding stuff suited to places like Australia at this time of year :s-smilie: I feel sorry for you, it would drive me insane searching. :p: I reckon you could get cute stuff out there though, and bring it back for summer in the UK and your clothes will be different to everyone else's who buy theirs here :wink:
Yes, I have been driven insane today, as all I want is some shorts and a few vest tops!! I'm a size 6/8 and almost every vest top I found was above a size 12. It's only the sale rails that have the shorts/skirts, but thats all I was looking for so noticed it more than I normally would.

Completely agree with not spending tons for a backpacking trip, the last thing you need is to care about the state of your clothes..and which you manage to bring back home with you that haven't gone missing :p: You don't want to be spending £40 per top for a trip like that. haha. I'd be tempted to hit primark and buy a load of tops i could literally chuck away and not carry round with me after a while.
Absolutely. I'm mainly taking the stuff I've already got, and a few other cheap things I've picked up so it doesn't matter if I have to get rid of them when I'm away, or they get completely wrecked. Also, every single person I've spoken to has said I'll get stuff for half the price when I'm away.

I've probably just been unlucky with my topshop stuff, i've only really bought things like the basic vests, which are pretty much the cheapest thing they sell so they obviously wont have had lots of effort put into them and be the best quality ever :p:
The vest tops have always been OK, but I'm quite fussy and get the ribbed ones and never iron them so they last as long as possible. The stitching isn't great on them though, one of mine have completely unravelled at the bottom which isn't great!

I wish i lived a bit closer to the Bicester outlet! Last time i went i was with friends who very much dislike JW so they wouldn't give me chance to look at anything properly :hmmm: But i did notice far too many of the hoodies with "Jack Wills" plastered all over them which isn't the kind of thing i like. It would be good if they got some nice jeans or knitwear though. :yep:
I don't even live close, it's about an hour and fourty minutes away but straight down the motorway. My aunty has been before and doesn't mind the drive down and says it's well worth going! Yeah, the stuff that is plastered with the name annoys me (not just JW, but any brand) - it's just so tacky and obvious. I fell in love with a jumper a few years back after it'd gone into the sale and foolishly didn't get it :frown: Hopefully I'll be lucky in Bicester!

Latest