The Student Room Group

Am I effectively guaranteed a Cambridge interview for English?

Unfortunately this post is probably going to come off really cocky sorry in advance

I have 9999999998 at GCSE and am predicted A*A*A*A* in french, english lit, history and maths. I sat AS exams for French and Maths (these need to be submitted on the mycambridge application) and achieved an A in Maths with 143/160 and an A in French with 196/200. My personal statement is good— probably not showstopping but pretty strong and my school counsellor who's got a degree in literature liked it. There's no pre-interview exam for the English course. Is there anything that could stop me reaching the interview stage? Need to know whether I should start prepping and rereading the books on my PS from now
Original post by Anonymous
Unfortunately this post is probably going to come off really cocky sorry in advance

I have 9999999998 at GCSE and am predicted A*A*A*A* in french, english lit, history and maths. I sat AS exams for French and Maths (these need to be submitted on the mycambridge application) and achieved an A in Maths with 143/160 and an A in French with 196/200. My personal statement is good— probably not showstopping but pretty strong and my school counsellor who's got a degree in literature liked it. There's no pre-interview exam for the English course. Is there anything that could stop me reaching the interview stage? Need to know whether I should start prepping and rereading the books on my PS from now

An interview is not guaranteed, or even "effectively" guaranteed, but given the high proportion of candidates which Cambridge interviews, it seems likely that'll you be amongst them. Start prepping.
Nothing's ever guaranteed - I personally know of someone who got straight 9s in GCSEs and had quadruple A* predicted for A Level not even be invited for an interview at Oxford (sorry if it's heresy to mention the other one in this forum). Life's crazy like that sometimes. However, I must say your odds are looking good so I'd start prepping a bit now. But take it slowly. You don't want your answers to sound rehearsed, you want to learn to think out loud, and you don't want to come off as cocky!
Yes, there's absolutely no way of telling, but looking at interview statistics from last years may help you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending