The Student Room Group

Cambridge 2016 entry - is there anything you'd like to know?

Hi, I'm Aemilia, Schools Liaison Officer at Fitzwilliam College. I know many of you will be mid-AS revision and exams and perhaps thinking about where you might be applying next year. If you're even vaguely contemplating Cambridge, I'd like to hear any questions you might have, and I will answer as best I can.

If your question is college-specific (about any college other than Fitz!), it's always best to ask that college directly, but I can help with anything general and/or Fitz related.

Please ask away!

*UPDATE*

I will not be posting on this thread after today (18th August), but please do contact [email protected] with any questions.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fitz_SLO
Hi, I'm Aemilia, Schools Liaison Officer at Fitzwilliam College. I know many of you will be mid-AS revision and exams and perhaps thinking about where you might be applying next year. If you're even vaguely contemplating Cambridge, I'd like to hear any questions you might have, and I will answer as best I can.

If your question is college-specific (about any college other than Fitz!), it's always best to ask that college directly, but I can help with anything general and/or Fitz related.

Please ask away!

This may be a ridiculous question, but it is the main thing putting me off from applying to Cambridge.

During term time, are students allowed to leave Cambridge overnight or for the weekend should some event arise which they wish to attend? I am under the impression that due to the sheer workload, social events must be planned in and can't just be spontaneous otherwise one will get behind on their work for the rest of the week or even term. So basically, does Cambridge allow for freedom in social life to leave the University overnight, and will doing this seriously impact on managing workload for the rest of the week?

Thanks.
Reply 2
It's not a ridiculous question at all -I think one of the biggest concerns amongst our prospective students is that Cambridge is all work and no play!

Each student has to ‘keep term’. This means spending a certain number of nights per term in college. Students are expected to be in college during what’s known as ‘full term’ i.e. the 8 week period during which teaching takes place. This equates to 56 nights per term that must be kept in college. However, if the student wants to leave the college for one or more nights, they can do so, provided they obtain a form called an ‘exeat’, which gives them permission to leave. Any nights missed will need to be made up for during a period of about a week before or after the end of the same term.

Of course, you need to make sure that going home or visiting friends doesn't mean that you miss academic commitments,but provided the above requirements are met, you can leave college during term time if you wish.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I've heard that there is a lot of inter-college rivalry between the fellows.
How hard do students get pushed, and how do the fellows apply pressure on students? What happens if they think you're not working hard enough e.g. if you're getting 2.2s?

Is it true that everyone's exam marks and rank are put on display in the colleges for everyone to see? If true, when does that happen?
Reply 4
Original post by MGM
I've heard that there is a lot of inter-college rivalry between the fellows.
How hard do students get pushed, and how do the fellows apply pressure on students? What happens if they think you're not working hard enough e.g. if you're getting 2.2s?

Is it true that everyone's exam marks and rank are put on display in the colleges for everyone to see? If true, when does that happen?

Friendly rivalry does exist between colleges, but it is mainly between students and is reserved for the sports field! Fellows are not in competition with each other, and many teach at more than one college.

There's no denying that studying at Cambridge is hard work, but fellows are here to support students, not put them under pressure. Every student has a Director of Studies within their college who is responsible for their academic welfare, and a separate Tutor, who is responsible for their pastoral care. If you have any problems, you can always go to them. One of the benefits of the supervision system is that if you start to struggle academically, it is quickly picked up on and your supervisors will do all they can to help you to achieve your best.

After exams, year group results per subject are displayed at the Senate House in the centre of Cambridge. If you have a good reason for not wanting your result to be posted, you are able to request that it is not included.
Reply 5

Please ask away!

Why do you think that Fitzwilliam College stands out amongst the rest?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hello,

What is the average Maths UMS for an offer-holding applicant at Fitzwilliam last year ?
Reply 7
Original post by Azzer11
Why do you think that Fitzwilliam College stands out amongst the rest?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a tough question since everyone at Cambridge could think of lots of reasons that their college stands out - and everyone loves their own college best! One reason Fitz stands out, I think, is its heritage. We were founded in 1869 as a 'non-collegiate institution', allowing students who couldn't otherwise have afforded to come to Cambridge to get a degree here. Our background in access is something we are very proud of and which continues to this day.

All colleges are friendly and sociable, but one thing I find at Fitz is how genuine the relationships are between students, fellows and staff. Everyone really looks out for each other.

Finally, our famous architecture makes us unique! We may not look like Hogwarts but we have amazing gardens (where you can walk on the grass!) and fab modern facilities like the Olisa Library.

Just to stress though, it really doesn't matter which college you apply to. It doesn't affect your chances of being made an offer, and you will love whichever one you end up at. Just the pick the one that feels right to you.
Reply 8
If i was to get 3 A*s in Mathematics ICT and business studies as well as Further maths at AS achieving an A. Would I be able to join Cambridge?
Reply 9
Original post by -Gifted-
Hello,

What is the average Maths UMS for an offer-holding applicant at Fitzwilliam last year ?

Average UMS varies a lot by year, by subject and so on. Amongst our current offer holders who took A Level Maths (and there are several who are studying other qualifications), the average was 96.5%. HOWEVER, this absolutely does not mean that we only consider applicants with UMS below 96.5%. As long as you perform strongly at AS, we would still be pleased to see your application!

AS is a factor in our decision making, but there are many other things that we take into account, such as interview, teacher's reference etc. If you get a good result in Maths AS (mid to high 80%s)+, I hope you'll consider applying.
Reply 10
Average UMS varies a lot by year, by subject and so on. Amongst our current offer holders who took A Level Maths (and there are several who are studying other qualifications), the average was 96.5%. HOWEVER, this absolutely does not mean that we only consider applicants with UMS below 96.5%. As long as you perform strongly at AS, we would still be pleased to see your application!

What was the UMS range of Maths offer holders?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just wondered - would having an A level in music, as well as English Literature and History, hinder the chances of getting an offer for Eng Lit - even if grades were good enough? I went to a talk last year where a representative from one of the colleges (I can't remember which) said that music wasn't considered particularly useful unless you were taking it to degree level.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Whats your view towards post A level applicants for natural sciences? Would we be expected to have more A*s?

Please ask away!

Hi. Sorry but my question is kind of long but i wanted to ask that do you consider students that do not have very good grades for their As or GCSE but they have a valid reason such as their school that they come from isnt very good and if they faced family problems during their exam due to which their grades dropped. Thank you
Hello,
My subject combination is fairly weak. Chemistry, Math, English language and AICT at AS level for PBS at Cambridge.
If i take up psychology AS and A2, drop aict and English, and apply post a-level, would my chances improve?
My school is not "the best school" so they only offer economics, accounting, business studies, AICT , AS English Language, biology, chemistry and physics.
I may suffer a lot if i took up biology since I haven't even studied it at IGCSE level.
Which is why i have settled for maths, chemistry and psychology as my main three subjects.
My school only offers English language as an AS subject which is why i might have to drop it and history and English lit aren't available in my school.
I can self-teach psychology as my passion for it will surely help me .
Would it be worth it if I apply for Cambridge this year provided I get 85%+ and if rejected, apply again next year post a level? Will my chances increase with these subjects? I really wanted to apply this year but my weak combination is demotivating me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, this is what I wanted to know as well...
Reply 16
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid I can't give you the exact figures, as this could compromise the privacy of our offer holders, but the usual range (for AS Maths) would be in the region of mid-80%s to mid-90%s. However, there are exceptions to this and we would also take account of any extenuating circumstances that the applicant makes us aware of.
Reply 17
Original post by imran_
If i was to get 3 A*s in Mathematics ICT and business studies as well as Further maths at AS achieving an A. Would I be able to join Cambridge?

This would depend on the subject you were applying for. If you let me know the subject, I can advise further.
Reply 18
Original post by manningA15
I just wondered - would having an A level in music, as well as English Literature and History, hinder the chances of getting an offer for Eng Lit - even if grades were good enough? I went to a talk last year where a representative from one of the colleges (I can't remember which) said that music wasn't considered particularly useful unless you were taking it to degree level.

This might be something that colleges would feel differently about, so I'd advise checking individually. However, we at Fitzwilliam would have no problem with Music being one of your three A Levels, as long as you're on target for A*AA.
Reply 19
I'm afraid I can't give you the exact figures, as this could compromise the privacy of our offer holders, but the usual range (for AS Maths) would be in the region of mid-80%s to mid-90%s. However, there are exceptions to this and we would also take account of any extenuating circumstances that the applicant makes us aware of.

Thanks. That's what I thought, and the lower end is probably lower than what many would be expecting :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending