The Student Room Group

Anyone fancy invading the island nation of Nauru with me?

Nauru is a tiny Pacific island nation with a population of under 10,000. It's poor as ****, the people are fat bastards and it has no armed forces. What does this mean? Well, if we get enough people together we could go over there and overthrow the government and make it our own country!

I reckon if about 1,000 of us chartered some planes, rocked up to the capital with some cricket bats and crowbars and stuff and stormed the Parliament we could take it easily without any bloodshed.

This chubster is the president:

Do you think he's going to stop us once we storm into his office demanding he sign over power to us? Of course not.

So, who's in? Let's brainstorm how we're going to do this.

Scroll to see replies

Do they have allies tho?
Reply 2
Why even bother with the violence? I recall reading about a similar island offering citizenship if you brought about £50 and promised to build a shack on the island.
**** bants
Reply 4
It would seem that the queen owns the island... No thanks:biggrin:
Is this like some lord of the rings nerd thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BioStudentx
Do they have allies tho?

This is sort of a snag in the plan actually, because they do have a defence agreement with Australia. I reckon the Aussies could easily take us if they sent over their special forces.

HOWEVER, there's a solution to this. All we have to do is work on making ourselves more useful to the Aussies than our sissy, fat-ass, skirt-wearing predecessors were which shouldn't be too hard. I'll install an Economics student as the new finance minister and get them to turn the country into a tax haven so rich Aussies can stash their taxes here. They can then lobby their government to allow us to stay in power.
Original post by Reue
Why even bother with the violence? I recall reading about a similar island offering citizenship if you brought about £50 and promised to build a shack on the island.

Are you saying we should all buy shacks on this island until TSRians are the majority and we can peacefully elect a leader from amongst ourselves, displacing the natives? That's not a bad idea.
Original post by generic_man
This is sort of a snag in the plan actually, because they do have a defence agreement with Australia. I reckon the Aussies could easily take us if they sent over their special forces.

HOWEVER, there's a solution to this. All we have to do is work on making ourselves more useful to the Aussies than our sissy, fat-ass, skirt-wearing predecessors were which shouldn't be too hard. I'll install an Economics student as the new finance minister and get them to turn the country into a tax haven so rich Aussies can stash their taxes here. They can then lobby their government to allow us to stay in power.

I dont like this idea. When you convince the Aussies come back to me.
Original post by Aph
It would seem that the queen owns the island... No thanks:biggrin:

It's an independent sovereign state and its head of state is the President of Nauru, not Queen Elizabeth II. :confused:
dis you OP?

Reply 11
It's an independent sovereign state and its head of state is the President of Nauru, not Queen Elizabeth II. :confused:
Nope, it's commonwealth and the queen is the head of state:h:
Original post by BioStudentx
I dont like this idea. When you convince the Aussies come back to me.

Alright, look at these articles:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/28/human-rights-groups-condemn-naurus-criminalisation-of-political-protest

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/26/government-spent-24bn-over-two-years-maintaining-nauru-and-manus

Nauru is a ****hole and an expensive pain in the arse for the Aussies currently. The Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, is an conservative, possibly racist, Anglophile conservative. A group of Brits going over, taking Nauru over and running it way better than the natives do probably give him an erection, not make him angry. He'd be our best friend in the whole world if we could save him $2.4bn!
Reply 13
Nauru is a tiny Pacific island nation with a population of under 10,000. It's poor as ****, the people are fat bastards and it has no armed forces. What does this mean? Well, if we get enough people together we could go over there and overthrow the government and make it our own country!

I reckon if about 1,000 of us chartered some planes, rocked up to the capital with some cricket bats and crowbars and stuff and stormed the Parliament we could take it easily without any bloodshed.

This chubster is the president:

Do you think he's going to stop us once we storm into his office demanding he sign over power to us? Of course not.

So, who's in? Let's brainstorm how we're going to do this.

Typical white man

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alright, look at these articles:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/may/28/human-rights-groups-condemn-naurus-criminalisation-of-political-protest

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/may/26/government-spent-24bn-over-two-years-maintaining-nauru-and-manus

Nauru is a ****hole and an expensive pain in the arse for the Aussies currently. The Prime Minister, Tony Abbott, is an conservative, possibly racist, Anglophile conservative. A group of Brits going over, taking Nauru over and running it way better than the natives do probably give him an erection, not make him angry. He'd be our best friend in the whole world if we could save him $2.4bn!

I'm iranian. Am I not invited?
War is for losers, let's settle it via bop it
Im going to Le un yue instead
Original post by Aph
Nope, it's commonwealth and the queen is the head of state:h:

:lolwut: What are you on about m8? Just because a country is in the Commonwealth doesn't mean the Queen is their Head of State. India, Pakistan, Nigeria, South Africa are all Commonwealth countries but they have their own President, just like Nauru.
Original post by swagyolo420
Is this like some lord of the rings nerd thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lisagurlxx
dis you OP?

Nauru is a real place, you ignoramuses, not some fantasy island. :hand:
Reply 19
Hmmm.... Depends when we're talking

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest