The Student Room Group

How do I know if I want to be a lawyer?

Hello,

Right now I'm dong my GCSE exams, so yes I'm aware that I've got quite a few year and hard slog infront of me to finally make up my mind on what I would like to do.

I think I'm interested in law if that doesn't sound too stupid haha...
But I'm not sure if I want to commit yet and aim to be a lawyer.

I did say to the school about law, and they said as I'm uncertain a history degree and then the diploma(?) afterwards would be best incase I change my mind... I absolutely love history so that sounds like a great idea

I did a weeks work experience at a top 100 law firm, where I went round different areas and even went to court for the day which was fun.

I didn't get a chance to do finance or pensions so I'm not sure about that.
I found property soooooooooooo dull and boring... Literally all I did was search through HUGE files for bits of paper that might or might not be there... Think they did that to keep me quiet ahaha... Although on another day there I did some leasehold stuff which wasnt quite as boring but still fairly rubbish

I did a day at commercial litigation and I found that really quite interesting, possibly the best day there... I liked that I had to think, not just fill in forms and that...Maybe it was my love of economics.

And then employment was good too

So after that babble, have you any advice? Would you think maybe another week at that firm would be helpful?(I have a contact there luckily)

Oh and I'm looking at becoming solicitor as I know becoming a barrister is ridiculously hard.
If you like history, do history at uni, worry about law later.

Certainly don't worry you've not covered certain areas age 16. And everyone thinks Real Estate is dull as ditchwater, peiople do it because it's good money for alright hours, decisions about that 'life vs work' kind of thing can be made at 25, not 15.
Original post by jackmolineux
Hello,

Right now I'm dong my GCSE exams, so yes I'm aware that I've got quite a few year and hard slog infront of me to finally make up my mind on what I would like to do.

I think I'm interested in law if that doesn't sound too stupid haha...
But I'm not sure if I want to commit yet and aim to be a lawyer.

I did say to the school about law, and they said as I'm uncertain a history degree and then the diploma(?) afterwards would be best incase I change my mind... I absolutely love history so that sounds like a great idea

I did a weeks work experience at a top 100 law firm, where I went round different areas and even went to court for the day which was fun.

I didn't get a chance to do finance or pensions so I'm not sure about that.
I found property soooooooooooo dull and boring... Literally all I did was search through HUGE files for bits of paper that might or might not be there... Think they did that to keep me quiet ahaha... Although on another day there I did some leasehold stuff which wasnt quite as boring but still fairly rubbish

I did a day at commercial litigation and I found that really quite interesting, possibly the best day there... I liked that I had to think, not just fill in forms and that...Maybe it was my love of economics.

And then employment was good too

So after that babble, have you any advice? Would you think maybe another week at that firm would be helpful?(I have a contact there luckily)

Oh and I'm looking at becoming solicitor as I know becoming a barrister is ridiculously hard.

The path from historian to lawyer is well-trodden. If you love history, then that doesn't seem a bad route to take at all. If you also like economics, there's nothing stopping you from taking a combined honours degree in both. I should think that would give you a good foundation for a wide range of careers.

As others have said, time is on your side, but given your contacts and your early enthusiasm it wouldn't hurt to do regular bits of legal work experience to familiarise yourself with different departments and inform your decisions. This should also pay dividends later when applying for formal vac schemes and the like.

For now, you'll do yourself the most favours by achieving consistently highly in exams.
You are already doing really well - don't worry about doing a law degree if you are not sure; do the history degree if you prefer, you can always do the GDL conversion course - 50% of people do it that way. Law firms like people with initiative and passion, so any experience you have whether you set a goal and achieve it working with other people will be great, whatever it is. If you want to get more law work ex, then do, but you already have very good experience - I would relax and see how you feel in a few years' time - you dont have to decide now at all - but try and keep on track with your exam results - dont worry about not liking property!!!!! You will be in good company, I think it might be something of a slow burner.

If you think you might like law while doing another degree, look for some law-related exp, say Citizens ADvice, or start to apply for work ex days at the firms you like. Really, dont worry, no rush at all, you have plenty of time to decide, just try and get good grades, as this will help you - good luck
Original post by Le Nombre

Certainly don't worry you've not covered certain areas age 16. And everyone thinks Real Estate is dull as ditchwater, peiople do it because it's good money for alright hours, decisions about that 'life vs work' kind of thing can be made at 25, not 15.

Original post by Le Nombre

Thanks everyone for the great replies:smile:

I've been "advised" that law as a degree isn't what it used to be as such.. And that the standards are being lowered and blah blah

AS levels I'm thinking, History, Economics, Geography and then English Literature... Although depending on my results in august English Literature or Geography could be swapped for French...

How does that sound??

Out of interest I was reading an article in the paper on training contracts or something and it said minimum AAB from "our" preferred A levels
So do they take your a level choices in to account with such things??

I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't enjoy property😂😂 I thought I would like that until I actually did it and found out what it entailed!

What are you guys doing?? Are you doing a law degree or else?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending