The Student Room Group

Uni is confusing

Hello!

I don't really understand how Uni works.

I am interested in law and all the courses seem to be 3 year "undergraduate" courses. Which implies to me that after I have done my "undergraduate" there's more to do before I can get a job as a lawyer??

Any advice please?
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Greenhouse999
Hello!
I am interested in law and all the courses seem to be 3 year "undergraduate" courses. Which implies to me that after I have done my "undergraduate" there's more to do before I can get a job as a lawyer??
Any advice please?

Yes, the person above is basically correct. ☺️ If you want to become a solicitor or barrister (a lawyer)for England and Wales, you have to do a 3 or 4 year undergraduate degree in LLB Law, depending if you want a year abroad or not. After university, depending if you want to be a solicitor or barrister, you will either take the SQE exams or go for a pupillage.

I know more about the solicitor route, so I'll describe it briefly. After you take your SQE exams which will test you on your previous knowledge, you'll enter a training contract for 2 years, which will give you qualifying work experience with a firm. And then afterwards, you'll be able to qualify as a solicitor. This route takes around 6-7 years before you qualify ☺️

Alternatively, you can take a degree apprenticeship, where you'll work at your chosen law firm that provides these apprenticeships for 4 days and go to university to study for 1 day. This will last 6 years and you'll do your SQE exams during this time and you would've received the necessary work experience and gotten a LLB Law Degree. Then you've become qualified as a solicitor.

In case you're unsure, a lawyer is a broad American term for a solicitor or barrister. A barrister is the people who will represent clients in court, whilst solicitors will do all the work behind the scenes of gathering evidence, doing the paperwork and more office stuff.

Hope this helps. ☺️
Original post by Greenhouse999
Hello!
Any advice please?
Hi there

Normally, after a law LLB undergraduate course, you have to undertake further exams or practical work experiences to qualify as a lawyer in the UK. This applies for solicitors and barristers, however I know more about solicitors pathway, and this is what I have found:

After the 3 years Law LLB course, you will need to take the SQE exams, and complete two years of legal work experience before you qualify as a solicitor in the UK. After you graduate from the law LLB course, a lot of students will choose to pursue a training contract, or work experience as a paralegal. Although you do not have to have taken a law LLB degree, it is the more common route, as most law firms when looking at applications may consider a law degree or law conversion course more favourably.

You can find more information on the solicitor's route on the SRA website, or by searching SQE exams.

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending