The Student Room Group

Uni with long term medical conditions

Hello guys,

We're creating an article with regard to moving to uni. One of the things that has come up is students with long term medical conditions / disabilities.

So, as a student with a long term illness / medical condition, what advice would you give new students in your situation?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Ok, I shall start this one:

If you move away, you will have to register with a new GP. This process is fairly quick. But it can take some time for your medical records to be transferred over. Ensure that a) you have plenty of medication and b) you have the repeat slip to order your medication. My new surgery wouldn't accept (understandable) my repeat from my old surgery. I had to make an appointment with the asthma nurse. But at least I didn't have to try and remember the name of the medication I'm on! (some have horrible long names)

Make yourself known to the disability support team. They are there to help you.

Depending on your situation, it's worth talking to your flatmates and explaining your medical situation and what to do in the case of an emergency. (seizure, asthma attack, etc)

After changing GP surgeries, I had to see the asthma nurse. (I was due an asthma review in a few months time) I was given a leaflet. This details my medication and what needs to be done if I'm having an asthma attack.
Thank you to all who contribute in advance! :heart:
Would filling out a HC1 form early so your prescription costs are covered count as valid advice? ( not able to claim myself but recon many other students could)
Get a copy of your repeat prescription so you have the medication names ready so you know what you can tell your new gp.
I guess make yourself know to the appropriate department at your new local hospital if you need long term care for any of your conditions so that you dont end up with any time not being covered:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Would filling out a HC1 form early so your prescription costs are covered count as valid advice? ( not able to claim myself but recon many other students could

Not sure how I missed this one. Thanks!

You've just reminded me of a few other bits:
If you have certain medical conditions, you're entitled to a medical exemption certificate for prescrptions. Here is the list of exemptions.

If not entitled to either of the above and you need more than 13 items per year, you can apply for a pre payment certificate. You can pay this in 10 installments by direct debit.
Original post by OU Student
Not sure how I missed this one. Thanks!

You've just reminded me of a few other bits:
If you have certain medical conditions, you're entitled to a medical exemption certificate for prescrptions. Here is the list of exemptions.

If not entitled to either of the above and you need more than 13 items per year, you can apply for a pre payment certificate. You can pay this in 10 installments by direct debit.

No problem:smile:

this lets people order the form(that are based in england):
http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1128.aspx

could be useful to include in the article?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending