The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics 4MA0 4H - 4th June 2015

I couldn't find a thread on this upcoming exam. So I've decided to make one! :smile:

Hopefully won't be as hard as 3H was... It was an okay paper, but harder than I was expecting. They might make 4H easier to compensate. What do you guys/gals think?

Share predictions!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A teacher sent our year group this and it has everything not tested on 3H (although I'm pretty sure some of it was) but I'm finding this really helpful! I hated 3H, like there were a couple I made stupid mistakes on which is so annoying because I will lose unnecessary marks for the answers, but for one or two I just did not have a clue on how to do 😌 hoping that 4H will be a blessing for me!
Original post by AvKar
A teacher sent our year group this and it has everything not tested on 3H (although I'm pretty sure some of it was) but I'm finding this really helpful! I hated 3H, like there were a couple I made stupid mistakes on which is so annoying because I will lose unnecessary marks for the answers, but for one or two I just did not have a clue on how to do 😌 hoping that 4H will be a blessing for me!

Hi! Yay, AvKar! Nice to see you again. :biggrin:

We also got a similar sort of thing given to us, but they basically relisted nearly all the topics that could ever come up in the paper anyway.

I'm expecting a harder 6 mark question for algebra (last question or so) and differentiation is definitely going to come up. Simultaneous already came up but it could come up again.
I think I'll also try to speed up a bit on this paper, as I spent waaay too long on easy questions and checking them, even though I got them right. I'll probably get through the easy questions as fast as possible and then focus on the tough ones for 4H.
Reply 4
Original post by stableintegral
I think I'll also try to speed up a bit on this paper, as I spent waaay too long on easy questions and checking them, even though I got them right. I'll probably get through the easy questions as fast as possible and then focus on the tough ones for 4H.

Haha nice to see you too! 😋 I'm thinking a more difficult simultaneous equation might come up...possibly one with squares in?!(I've forgotten the method name!) and you see for me, I think I was really careless with 3H so I didn't check some of the middle ones like the bounds question, spent ages on the ones I couldn't do at all and then this time was wasted- like for the functions fraction question I spent about 15 minutes just typing random numbers into a calculator and seeing if they worked and they didn't! 😑
Reply 5
does anyone know what might come up in the gcse maths non-calculator on 4th june 2015.please help me
I am terrified for Maths, but hopefully it won't be too bad D: I'm praying that the simultaneous equation will be a somewhat easy one as I find them so difficult ;_;

Also thanks for the topic list thing, we haven't been given anything to revise off... it sucks :frown:
Also this may seem like a really dumb question but what do you mean by 3H and 4H?
Sorry if this is stupid... ^-^
Original post by AvKar
Haha nice to see you too! 😋 I'm thinking a more difficult simultaneous equation might come up...possibly one with squares in?!(I've forgotten the method name!) and you see for me, I think I was really careless with 3H so I didn't check some of the middle ones like the bounds question, spent ages on the ones I couldn't do at all and then this time was wasted- like for the functions fraction question I spent about 15 minutes just typing random numbers into a calculator and seeing if they worked and they didn't! 😑

I can't remember what the function was but it was horrible. It wasn't even a normal, friendly quadratic. I still came up with something somehow.

Maybe 1 linear, 1 quadratic is what you were thinking of. That could come up tbh as one of the last few for 6 marks.

And probably very few questions on converting stuff, possibly no questions at all on conversion altogether. They had like several (maybe too many) questions on that. Rupees, Queen Mary, etc. xD
Original post by maddie.gardiner
Also this may seem like a really dumb question but what do you mean by 3H and 4H?
Sorry if this is stupid... ^-^

3H was the first paper we had (21st May 2015) and 4H is the next paper. I don't know why they don't just call it "Paper 1" and "Paper 2", but essentially 4H = Paper 2. :smile:
Original post by stableintegral
3H was the first paper we had (21st May 2015) and 4H is the next paper. I don't know why they don't just call it "Paper 1" and "Paper 2", but essentially 4H = Paper 2. :smile:

Ohh thank you~ ^^
I'm dreading differentiation... :frown:
Reply 12
Everyone saying boundaries will be lower

2 things:
1. Wait for the next paper before making a judgement (boundaries are decided over both)
2. 3H wasn't that difficult to the point where A* will be lower than 75% at best.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xphoenix

2 things:
1. Wait for the next paper before making a judgement (boundaries are decided over both)
2. 3H wasn't that difficult to the point where A* will be lower than 75% at best.

Just to let you know in June 2014 for the 3HR and 4HR the A* boundary was 74

2 things:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If the 4H is as hard as 3H I think it's safe to say the boundary will be less than 80

Posted from TSR Mobile

2 things:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point. It does depend on 4H and how people find those questions.

3H had tougher elements, but it wasn't exceptionally tougher. So, 70-75 is probably more likely, but a roof of 80% is what previous years (June 2014, 2013, etc.) had for an A*. I'm expecting a similar level of nuance anyway.

Original post by Don Joiner
If the 4H is as hard as 3H I think it's safe to say the boundary will be less than 80

Posted from TSR Mobile

We'll see. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by AvKar

LOL I also did that, all my friends said the did as well. Fortunately, a few weeks back a friend mentioned the fact button on the calculator which immediately tells you if it is prime and which numbers you can times to make it. It totally saved me on that question. If it comes up on the next paper, just remember you can press shift and then the "Fact" button. So helpful.
Reply 18
Original post by fayrus
does anyone know what might come up in the gcse maths non-calculator on 4th june 2015.please help me

You do get a calculator
I thought it was... vile. Haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending