The Student Room Group

Edexcel IGCSE Mathematics 4MA0 4H - 4th June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MohonaD
So this is under control now, I'll keep it up :smile:

I'm trying to fix it up.
Solution to 2nd last question
Part b of the hexagon angle question was definitely 120 - the scale factor (which was 2.5 I think) must be cubed when you are calculating the volume
Original post by immyB01
Part b of the hexagon angle question was definitely 120 - the scale factor (which was 2.5 I think) must be cubed when you are calculating the volume

I got 300 by working out what the surface area of enlarged shape was then scaling that down to the scale factor
For the triangle one i got
a= (0.5b+1) / (0.25b-1)
I put that in with values that would have worked and it came out with exactly 3 times the area on all occasions so hoepfully it's right!
Anyone else get the same?
Original post by Ewarwoowa
I got 300 by working out what the surface area of enlarged shape was then scaling that down to the scale factor

If you do area, the scale factor must be squared. So even if the method was right I think it's still wrong
Linear equation was (-4, 37) and (0,5) I think??? Anyone else remember?
(edited 8 years ago)
Distance time graph
Original post by jb303
Can anyone remember the 3rd question? The one on the second page
what are we reckoning the grade boundaries will be for both papers :smile:
If I did well in the 3H but meh in the 4H will I still get an A star
the right-angled triangle was 3 times bigger, so why multiply the other triangle's area by 3?
The grade boundary averages from May 2004 - January 2014 have been:

A* = 81
A = 63
B = 45
C = 27
D = 14

:u:
Hate to break it to you lot but since most people found 3H hard the average for 4H will go up even more as people worked harder and it was a standard paper so I wouldn't be surprised with an 82-85 A* grade boundary
Original post by nullifiedvoid
the right-angled triangle was 3 times bigger, so why multiply the other triangle's area by 3?

so that they are equal and u can start solving it

6 is 3 times greater than 2

6 = 3 x 2
Hate to break it to you lot but since most people found 3H hard the average for 4H will go up even more as people worked harder and it was a standard paper so I wouldn't be surprised with an 82-85 A* grade boundary

yes i thin around 80 for 3h

85 ish for 4h

Yeah, but they're not individual marks I thought? You get an average, right?

me too man but i think 120 is the right answer
yeah
Original post by QuantumPotato
i just did simultaneus equation 3(1/2absin150) = 1/2(a+1)(b+2) or something like that, at least 3 in my school including I have got (2b+4)/(b-4)

2b+4/b-4 is definitely right. Most notably because they said b>4 (therefore b-4 makes sense)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by immyB01
If you do area, the scale factor must be squared. So even if the method was right I think it's still wrong

300 is wrong. But note that if you do area, you wouldn't square the scale factor (I think), because k^2^2 goes to k^4. You'd have to square root its cube, because k^2^1.5=k^3. I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending