The Student Room Group

First marathon advice please

I have just confirmed my place in next years London Marathon.

So, any of you who have run a marathon, advice please? That's anything - diet, training and general running stuff.

Thank you :smile:

I'm going back to my first running club. They start their training in October just after the ballot.
Get some good, comfortable running shoes! Cheap ones will cause your feet to hurt like hell after the first couple of miles.
Reply 2
Build up a good base of running fitness between now and October, then begin a 6 month training plan (loads available online). Just don't go all out just now and leave yourself burnt out by the time it comes along.

Figure out when in your day/week you can fit your running in and try those times to see if they work for you. As the last poster said, get your trainers and other kit early so you can get used to it. You don't want to run a marathon in kit that you haven't been training in!

If you plan on using energy gels then use these on your long runs so your body gets used to them.

Invest in a decent enough GPS watch and HRM, perhaps a Garmin Forerunner 110 or 15? Those are good enough for marathon training.

Find some nice enjoyable routes, ideally ones with extensions that you can use to add distance when needed.

Finally, figure out if you're a solo runner or a sociable runner! Some people I know hate long runs alone, but I MUCH prefer to run alone.
Reply 3
Never trust a fart.
Reply 4
This is coming from a marathon veteran. I'd recommend the Euro-Shopper Isotonic sports drink, excellent beverage for those 26 miles of pain.
Reply 5
Original post by futbol
This is coming from a marathon veteran. I'd recommend the Euro-Shopper Isotonic sports drink, excellent beverage for those 26 miles of pain.

Are they really sweet? I currently use Nuun and High 5 zero tabs. They have some flavour; but unlike Lucozade, they're not overly sweet and full of sugar.

Thanks guys :smile:
I would recommend against gels and lucosade on longer runs, tend to give people GI upset. (Mine are horrific with them)

I prefered jelly babies anyway. Learn to run with water if you can.

Use a good training programme, there's loads out there

New pair of running shoes are a must too, ideally from a proper running shop
Good luck. Follow a solid training plan (I used hal higdon) keep your diet in check, keep an eye on your shoe mileage and get shoes fitted by a pro (not a pretty boy who hasnt gone over 10k) Loads of advice for the race day itself online best one is dont get carried away, aim for negative splits. I would advise not training with gels until your 2nd to last 20+mile training run, in this run also wear your race gear. New shoes a month before the race. Good luck agai.
Reply 8
Personally I'd be hesitant to change so much a month before the marathon. If I was to use gels I'd want more than two long runs to get used to how it feels before the race. I'd also want to spend more time with my shoes than a month, especially since the last few weeks will be tapering. New shoes, no matter how well they are fitted, will make contact with your feet in different ways than your old ones, and I would hate to develop a new blister in an area that hasn't toughened a few weeks before a marathon!
Original post by offhegoes
Personally I'd be hesitant to change so much a month before the marathon. If I was to use gels I'd want more than two long runs to get used to how it feels before the race. I'd also want to spend more time with my shoes than a month, especially since the last few weeks will be tapering. New shoes, no matter how well they are fitted, will make contact with your feet in different ways than your old ones, and I would hate to develop a new blister in an area that hasn't toughened a few weeks before a marathon!

For shoes I would buy the same model and version, just a new pair. Shoes are optimal about 100 miles. As for gear i agree but was thinking of charity vests etc. I think training with gels dosent allow you to become used to a glycogen depleted state that you will have in the last 6miles, i suggest 2nd to last long run so you can change for the last..
Reply 10
I can't see how 4 weeks is long enough. I've never been able to get hold of the same model / version more than once. Apart from now where I've got 2 pairs of New Balance 806s. Twice I've had to change my shoes about 6 weeks before a 10k and that was difficult enough.
Reply 11
Original post by OU Student
I can't see how 4 weeks is long enough. I've never been able to get hold of the same model / version more than once. Apart from now where I've got 2 pairs of New Balance 806s. Twice I've had to change my shoes about 6 weeks before a 10k and that was difficult enough.

Perhaps the difference in advice comes from a difference in experience. I'd be prepared to change my footwear 4 weeks before a marathon because my feet have been battered enough over the years that they should cope. But if long-distance running and a high weekly mileage is not what your feet are used to then I would recommend giving yourself plenty of time to get used to new footwear.
Original post by OU Student

I have always managed but always buy the latest model from the shop, then get replacements from the internet until they are out. All this depends on the shoes, remember your milage will be much higher for marathon training so i'd be better off saying 100 miles, this is about right for last month including taper, for me anyway.
Reply 13
Do you guys gym / bike as well during your marathon training? An old coach of mine did tell (stupidly) that I'd need to train 6 days a week too, which when my goals are just to get around, not to fall over and enjoy myself, seems rather OTT. I was tlaking to a friend some time ago who has done a 3:05 marathon on 3 days training...

I did look online for first marathon training advice and there's so much out there. I know that I need to train enough; but have adequate rest in between, eat and fuel right, etc.
Reply 14
Everyone is different, but I like to run 4 days. This gives me a long run (at the weekend, slower than my target pace), a hill session, a speed session (interval training) and a pace session (just slightly faster than my target pace).

Like you say, you want to train enough without killing your body. If you don't enjoy the training then it'll be a miserable experience! You'll be able to ready your body better than anyone else.
Reply 15
Yeah, the 4 days (I currently train 3 days a week) I do understand. My first club do 3 days a week training - the usual 2 club days (Tuesday and Thursday) and the long run on a Sunday.

I have overtained before and managed to seriously injure myself. I am not willing to do that again. I know rest is important.

A lot of training plans are somewhere between 16 and 24 weeks and 3-5 days a week depending on what my goal is.
Reply 16
If you don't mind me asking, what is your goal for the marathon? The typical first marathon goal is to make it round without it being a miserable experience, but you might have a time in mind. The advice for a sub 3 hour marathon is going to be different than the advice for a sub 4 hour marathon. (It also wouldn't be coming from me!)

A final excellent site to help you imrove your time:

http://www.paulryantimecalculator.com/?submitted=yes&time=3%3A24%3A18&distance=marathon&gender=M
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
I don't really have a goal in mind. I just want to get around. Sub 5 would be nice though.

Quick Reply

Latest