The Student Room Group

Dyslexia

Hi,
Wasn't sure where to post this so I hope it's in the right place.

Is there anyone on TSR who has dyslexia? Do you know anyone who has it or other learning conditions?
Lots of my friends have Dyslexia, and I was curious to know more about it.

According to the NHS website:"Dyslexia is a common learning difficulty that mainly affects the way people read and spell words", but it can also affect phonological awareness, verbal memory and verbal processing speed. It's symptoms range from mild to severe.

For people who do have it, are you improving your processing speed etc? If so, how? How mild/severe is it?

Discuss anything surrounding it here :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

Is there anyone on TSR who has dyslexia? Do you know anyone who has it or other learning conditions?

According to the NHS website:"Dyslexia is a common learning difficulty that mainly affects the way people read and spell words", but it can also affect phonological awareness, verbal memory and verbal processing speed. It's symptoms range from mild to severe.

For people who do have it, are you improving your processing speed etc? If so, how? How mild/severe is it?

Theres a fair few dyslexic people on tsr,myself included. I got diagnosed with it a couple of years ago. But theres nothing i can do about my processing speed from what i can tell so i just sort of accepted it after a while, the short term memory problems are the worst thing if anything which again nothing really helps except good night sleep and such, just got to find way to cope with it really. Theres nothing you can do about the symptoms of it only find ways to work round them or coping strategies. They dont seem to put a marker on if its mild./severe much anymore from what i can tell but i guess mines relatively mild as i am able to read and spell reasonably albeit slowly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello

Name says it all!

any questions?
Original post by dyslexicvegie
Hello

Name says it all!

any questions?

i ve always loved your name:smile:
Dyslexia? You mean Dailysex?
Original post by claireestelle
i ve always loved your name:smile:

Thank you! It's a bit of a joke but also an attempt to stop people focusing on the spelling punctuation and grammar in my arguments/posts. Does not always work but I have some sassy come-backs.
Thank you! It's a bit of a joke but also an attempt to stop people focusing on the spelling punctuation and grammar in my arguments/posts. Does not always work but I have some sassy come-backs.

People make too much of a big deal of grammar and spelling on here sometimes. It is a very clever joke indeed:smile:
Original post by Gaiaphage
Dyslexia? You mean Dailysex?

Is that seriously the best dyslexic joke you can come up with? Thats just old and overdone :tongue:
I did used to know someone who claimed he was Dyslexic. I get the impression he used it as an excuse instead of trying. He wondered why I never understood any of his text messages.
Original post by OU Student
I did used to know someone who claimed he was Dyslexic. I get the impression he used it as an excuse instead of trying. He wondered why I never understood any of his text messages.

why on earth would someone pretend to be dyslexic?
why on earth would someone pretend to be dyslexic?

He's not that intelligent. So I guess by claiming he's Dyslexic, he feels that he has a reason. I gave up trying to read his text messages because they made no sense at all (he'd write in text speak and worse) and it was rather obvious he never read mine.
Hello

Name says it all!

any questions?

Do you have trouble spelling dyslexia most of the time you have to write about it?
Hi,

Sounds about right but my ed psych also said that I am much better analysing graphical data and spatial problems than average.
Original post by JoshDawg
Do you have trouble spelling dyslexia most of the time you have to write about it?

I can spell dyslexia 80 -90% of the time. It's not really the that hard to spell. If I were to spell it phonetically dis-lex-ea, two letters wrong, so thats not too many letters to remember. Then I still cant allways. That's the thing about dyslexia, not a lot of continuity.
Hi,

What do you mean by verbal memory?
What do you mean by verbal memory?

i think they mean remembering whats you ve heard said to you, my verbal memory is sucky:P
i think they mean remembering whats you ve heard said to you, my verbal memory is sucky:P

Could that also be called working memory? That I can do, though I think that was because she was asking me maths questions and maths is a strong point.

Short term memory is one of my main problems. What was I on about again? :wink:
Could that also be called working memory? That I can do, though I think that was because she was asking me maths questions and maths is a strong point.

Short term memory is one of my main problems. What was I on about again? :wink:

yes it is called working memory i think:smile:
mine is a little under average but compared to the bits of my brain that are "normal" its pretty bad. my memory was like the 30% but the verbal comprehension one was 88 so a stupidly big difference really:/ i think my memory is my main problem too, although my processing speeds not far behind.
for a few years now i have been having trouble reading sentences, i find that when i am reading i read a totally different sentence to the one i am presented with sometimes i state the last words without even looking at them, when doing maths especially S1 i find that i make alot of mistakes mainly because i am presented with so many numbers. Im not sure if a do have dyslexia i haven't told anyone not because of the fact i am scared mainly because i dont know enough about dyslexia. To the people here who do have it how did u realise that you have it?
yes it is called working memory i think:smile:
mine is a little under average but compared to the bits of my brain that are "normal" its pretty bad. my memory was like the 30% but the verbal comprehension one was 88 so a stupidly big difference really:/ i think my memory is my main problem too, although my processing speeds not far behind.

That dam processing speed...why does everyone else have to be so fast!?

I seem to remember they split the test into 4 sections, verbal reasoning, nonverbal reasoning , memory and processing speed.

They then calculate ur General Ability Index ( like IQ for dyslexics ) only using the first two.

Quick Reply

Latest