The Student Room Group

Biochemistry, Biomedical and Biological Science Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Biomed with foundation year or bio and chem A levels in one additional year at college? I have a place at both but don't know which to go with. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Original post by emily132
Any tips for writing a personal statement for biomed science, I'm talking about unpredictability of disease and ebola cause went to a lecture on it, am i on the right track? xx

You are - i linked a BBC panorama documentary into mine. Im in a similar position to you, doing my first draft. I think its good to stand out from the crowd- im reading through some and a catchy opening and an interesting ending appeals to me however there are some with the same opening ' ive always had a passion from a young age' , 'lists their entire a levels not even related' that feel a bit boring imo
Original post by tan030
Thank you for the advice :smile:. From the advice I been given, many say to pick just 1 course or 2 closely related ones and not 2/3 with great disparity. In your opinion, do you think there's a great deal of differences between the two? - i think that quite a few modules are similar from what I've researched, just fewer medical/disease related modules in biological

I'd definitely advise you to stick with the two, any more and it would be confusing and possibly harm your chances of getting a place.

In my experience biological science is a broad subject that contains biomedical science, if this makes sense? What I'm trying to say is that biomed is much narrower in it's field, biological science will contain modules on biomed but you will be expected to have an interest in all other aspects of biology such as plants and animals too. For me that is a great turn off, I enjoy human biology and find the other aspects of biology less exciting.
Original post by tan030
You are - i linked a BBC panorama documentary into mine. Im in a similar position to you, doing my first draft. I think its good to stand out from the crowd- im reading through some and a catchy opening and an interesting ending appeals to me however there are some with the same opening ' ive always had a passion from a young age' , 'lists their entire a levels not even related' that feel a bit boring imo

i know, never say passion in a ps and they hate the young age thing, its so difficult to get it right :s-smilie:
Reply 64
Original post by Fannibal
I'd definitely advise you to stick with the two, any more and it would be confusing and possibly harm your chances of getting a place.

In my experience biological science is a broad subject that contains biomedical science, if this makes sense? What I'm trying to say is that biomed is much narrower in it's field, biological science will contain modules on biomed but you will be expected to have an interest in all other aspects of biology such as plants and animals too. For me that is a great turn off, I enjoy human biology and find the other aspects of biology less exciting.

ooh. If you dont mind me asking, what degree did you do and at which university - you have a lot of knowledge about this topic. Is it wise to mention that ' im applying to both biomed and biological sciences' in my statement to clarify things so should I make references to 'biosciences' as a whole,instead?
Reply 65
i know, never say passion in a ps and they hate the young age thing, its so difficult to get it right :s-smilie:

I guess you have to use a range of vocabulary (using 'passion' once seems fine) without sounding false and going OTT. how many characters have you reached on yours? im at around 3400 yet need to talk about my bio coursework , extra curriculars as well as a snazzy ending. Difficult times ahead...
Original post by tan030
ooh. If you dont mind me asking, what degree did you do and at which university - you have a lot of knowledge about this topic. Is it wise to mention that ' im applying to both biomed and biological sciences' in my statement to clarify things so should I make references to 'biosciences' as a whole,instead?

Haha, I'm glad I seem wise but I am actually in the same position as you! I'm applying for biomedical science for 2016 entry, Sheffield/Oxford being my top choices. I guess I'm hugely into research and I tend to remember a lot about open days! :biggrin: I wouldn't personally reference either degree (if you do, do so sparingly) as it could alienate your application. Another option is to contact the 5th uni and say that you are applying for biomed at 4 other unis and would like to send another application focussed on biological sciences for them. I know medicine applicants have done this, so there is a small chance they would let you. :h:
Original post by tan030
I guess you have to use a range of vocabulary (using 'passion' once seems fine) without sounding false and going OTT. how many characters have you reached on yours? im at around 3400 yet need to talk about my bio coursework , extra curriculars as well as a snazzy ending. Difficult times ahead...

I'm still at the pen and paper stage haven't typed it up so no idea :smile:
Haha, I'm glad I seem wise but I am actually in the same position as you! I'm applying for biomedical science for 2016 entry, Sheffield/Oxford being my top choices. I guess I'm hugely into research and I tend to remember a lot about open days! :biggrin: I wouldn't personally reference either degree (if you do, do so sparingly) as it could alienate your application. Another option is to contact the 5th uni and say that you are applying for biomed at 4 other unis and would like to send another application focussed on biological sciences for them. I know medicine applicants have done this, so there is a small chance they would let you. :h:

I'm considering a range of careers. Would I be able to do a personal statement and link in subject such as: psychology biomedical science radiography primary education
Why not do biology if you are considering a range of careers more topics in biology and you can usually swap courses at end of year 1. Also not narrowing the choices straight away
Original post by wabbit998
Why not do biology if you are considering a range of careers more topics in biology and you can usually swap courses at end of year 1. Also not narrowing the choices straight away

That's not a good idea.
is BMAT needed for biomedical science?

Only for Oxford and one of the other London colleges! So don't worry about it otherwise ☺️☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many of you are considering studying Healthcare Science vs Biomedical Science ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Holamigo
How many of you are considering studying Healthcare Science vs Biomedical Science ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would but it's far
Original post by Uz25
I'm considering a range of careers. Would I be able to do a personal statement and link in subject such as: psychology biomedical science radiography primary education

I'd say go for it, but try and make sure your personal statement is clearly focussed on biomed or it may not work in your favour. Every university is looking for someone who is passionate and has a range of interests, but they want you to be most passionate about the subject(s) your applying for. :h:
I'd say go for it, but try and make sure your personal statement is clearly focussed on biomed or it may not work in your favour. Every university is looking for someone who is passionate and has a range of interests, but they want you to be most passionate about the subject(s) your applying for. :h:

Why just focus on biomed? Tbh I don't mind doing biomed but there isn't any good careers prospects other than becoming a scientist
Original post by Uz25
Why just focus on biomed? Tbh I don't mind doing biomed but there isn't any good careers prospects other than becoming a scientist

Universities may find your personal statement a bit off-putting if you look indecisive. A radiography personal statement, for example, will want to you to focus on the role of the radiographer in context and what drew you to the subject. You won't have space to do that for all the subjects you're listing and will lower your chances of an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lledrith
Universities may find your personal statement a bit off-putting if you look indecisive. A radiography personal statement, for example, will want to you to focus on the role of the radiographer in context and what drew you to the subject. You won't have space to do that for all the subjects you're listing and will lower your chances of an interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm trying to narrow down the courses..
Original post by Uz25
I'm trying to narrow down the courses..

Sure, but you'll need to do that before you write the statement and make your applications. You are very unlikely be able to link the list of subjects you posted and asked about in your statement, which is what you asked in a previous post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Uz25

Ah, I thought you were applying for biomed, not another subject, my bad! :biggrin: In that case then make sure you focus your personal statement on the subject you're applying for, if it's many subjects then it may become tricky but maybe your overall passion for science/a certain aspect of science/healthcare will make it appealing to many unis for different subjects. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending