The Student Room Group

Is a Distinction classed as an A?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dean Riding
Hmm, not really too sure then but none of my teachers have questioned it thus far... Starting to get a little paranoid now

Im not trying to worry you or anything here but if there is something wrong then its best to let the university know now.

I have also applied for university this year, studying the subjects: BTEC subsidiary diploma in finance and 2 other A levels. So a similar situation to you.

Each of the 5 universities i got a reply from all specified 'Distinction in my BTEC subject and then whatever grades needed for the A levels e.g. AB in both A levels.

The offer you have is for 3 A levels, not 1 BTEC and 2 A levels even though the BTEC is equivalent to the A level, its still a different qualification.

However if none of your teachers have questioned it then it may be fine.
Original post by Kash24411
Im not trying to worry you or anything here but if there is something wrong then its best to let the university know now.

I have also applied for university this year, studying the subjects: BTEC subsidiary diploma in finance and 2 other A levels. So a similar situation to you.

Each of the 5 universities i got a reply from all specified 'Distinction in my BTEC subject and then whatever grades needed for the A levels e.g. AB in both A levels.

The offer you have is for 3 A levels, not 1 BTEC and 2 A levels even though the BTEC is equivalent to the A level, its still a different qualification.

However if none of your teachers have questioned it then it may be fine.

Oh you're right, I just checked my offer and it said AB + Distinction in my CTEC :smile: Got me worried for a second there. I guess I was still in the mindset that I was in when trying to apply, oh how horrible that process was.
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh you're right, I just checked my offer and it said AB + Distinction in my CTEC :smile: Got me worried for a second there. I guess I was still in the mindset that I was in when trying to apply, oh how horrible that process was.

Well that's good to know!

And tell me about it haha
Reply 23
Original post by frances98
It is worth the same amount of ucas points but imo it shouldn't be

Posted from TSR Mobile

100% should be

They cover tge same content as A levels just more applied and my IT BTEC covered like half the content of the first year of my CS degree, didnt need to revise for some of my exams
In the title really...

Basically I'm concerned as to whether universities will consider a distinction grade in BTEC/CTEC course as an A or B or even C since I know coursework oriented qualifications are generally regarded as being 'lesser' when compared to exam subjects?

So say a uni wanted ABB and I got Distinction/B/B would I still get in or not? This isn't taking into account the fact they can still let you in if you're a grade or two below btw.

Actually in practical or practical based courses (like engineering) employers like Btecs because it shows you have skills as well as smarts anyway while a couple of places don't accept Btecs(I'm looking at you Southampton) the places that do will view a distinction as slightly higher than an A or so I was told.

a DDD will give you 300 points minimum an ABB offer will need DMM (Distinction Merit Merit. in a BND or what is now called the extended diploma.

To answer your question a Distinction B B should be fine for most places if your concerned phone up and ask.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 01011960
A distiction BTEC is the equivalent to a C

no it's an A DDD = 300 ucas points
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't turn this threat into a "what it should be" please, thank you to those who have replied with helpful responses though
Original post by jonathanemptage
no it's an A DDD = 300 ucas points

Incorrect

DDD= 360

A/Distinction = 120Ucas
Original post by Kash24411
Incorrect

DDD= 360

A/Distinction = 120Ucas

TBF it was a few years ago I did my BND
I got DDM and was told by uni that was 320 Uncas points. 120 each for the Distinctions and 80 points for the Merit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending